What to do?

Old October 19th 04, 06:47 PM
Chris Janus

Default What to do?

I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to see if
I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking and like the
OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really like the bike but
the components are starting to degrade quite a bit. I've had it
professionally maintained and had a complete tuneup each year. But now I'm
at a point where I want to upgrade. My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

Chris

Old October 19th 04, 06:51 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Chris Janus wrote:
I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to
see if I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still
biking and like the OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I
really like the bike but the components are starting to degrade quite
a bit. I've had it professionally maintained and had a complete
tuneup each year. But now I'm at a point where I want to upgrade.
My first question is, the OCR 3 uses Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much
crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105 or Ultegra? Second, is it
worth it to upgrade the components or should I look at a new bike?
Thanks for all responses and opinions.

NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE!!!

Bill "you know you want to" S.

Old October 19th 04, 11:05 PM
Stan Cox

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
Chris Janus wrote:

I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to
see if I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still
biking and like the OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I
really like the bike but the components are starting to degrade quite
a bit. I've had it professionally maintained and had a complete
tuneup each year. But now I'm at a point where I want to upgrade.
My first question is, the OCR 3 uses Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much
crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105 or Ultegra? Second, is it
worth it to upgrade the components or should I look at a new bike?
Thanks for all responses and opinions.

NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE!!!

Bill "you know you want to" S.

If some of the prices I am seeing for 2005 Giants are correct then
definately NEW BIKE NEW BIKE

Stan Cox

Old October 19th 04, 07:05 PM
do not spam

In article ,
Chris Janus wrote:
My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

Sora isn't that bad, as long as you keep it clean and lubed.
Upgrading may be worthwhile if specific components are worn out.
Upgrading the whole thing will be expensive; better to just
buy a new bike.
Old October 19th 04, 08:54 PM
Dave Stallard

do not spam wrote:

In article ,
Chris Janus wrote:

My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

Sora isn't that bad, as long as you keep it clean and lubed.
Upgrading may be worthwhile if specific components are worn out.
Upgrading the whole thing will be expensive; better to just
buy a new bike.

Agree that upgrading shifter/powertrain components will be *very*
expensive. Buying that stuff ala carte is sticker shock. Example: I
paid ~$200 to get RSX STI for my old bike, which was pre-STI and about
$700 in '94. And RSX/RX100 is cheaper than 105, let alone Ultegra. I
don't know how it compares to Shimano's current line (perhaps to Tiagra?).

I'd say new bike, unless you really are in love with your current frame.
Start test riding!

My other advice, having gotten back into biking about 10 years ago, is
not to economize too much. Consider the next level up in price, if it
offers superior performance in frame, weight, shifting, ride, etc. If
only I'd done that back in '94, I might not have had to buy such an
expensive bike this year.

Dave

Old October 19th 04, 10:36 PM
Patrick W.

"Chris Janus" wrote in message
.. .
I got into biking about 4 years ago and bought an entry level bike to see
if I would enjoy it. I purchased a Giant OCR 3. I'm still biking and like
the OCR. I have replaced the wheels and the seat. I really like the bike
but the components are starting to degrade quite a bit. I've had it
professionally maintained and had a complete tuneup each year. But now I'm
at a point where I want to upgrade. My first question is, the OCR 3 uses
Shimano Sora(I know, pretty much crap). Can I upgrade this to Shimano 105
or Ultegra? Second, is it worth it to upgrade the components or should I
look at a new bike? Thanks for all responses and opinions.

Chris

4 years from an entry-level bike isn't a bad return if you ask me. There are
a couple ways you could go, depending on your budget. If you're rolling in
dough and itching for a new ride then I would turn it into a beater/commuter
bike and get a brand new bike. If you're don't have the cash for a
completely new bike AND you like the way the Giant rides AND the frame is
holding up, you'll get more bang for your buck by upgrading the components.
Yeah it's expensive, but buying mail order will save you quite a bit of $$
of the list prices. Also note many local bike shops will match mail order
pricing, or come pretty darned close, if you ask nicely.

I think for $1000 you could get yourself a spanking nearly top-of-the-line
component package, including new wheels for the Giant. OTOH, $1k won't buy
you much of a new bike. The beauty of a top-tier groupset (Campy Chorus or
above, or Dura-Ace) is that it will probably outlast your bike if properly
maintained.

I also agree with the poster below - buy as much as you can comfortably
afford! I have often regretted buying second best, but never regretted
buying the best I could afford.

- Patrick W.