protecting thumb and wrists

Old October 10th 03, 03:40 PM
Allan Adler

Default protecting thumb and wrists

I took my bike out a couple of weeks ago. While I was riding, I found that
there was so much weight on my wrists that they hurt. Apparently, I was
also resting on the ball of my thumb, since that still hurts whenever I
rest it on the handlebars. The handlebars are the short horizontal type,
since I don't like having to lean forward for the curl-under type. But they
still require me to lean forward to pedal. I don't know whether I'd
be more comfortable with the kind of handlebars that curve back towards
me but which stay on top, so I don't have to lean forward. I'm sure there
are technical terms for these various types but I don't know them.

Independently of the handlebars, I'm wondering whether there are standard
ways to protect my wrists and thumb, e.g. some kind of gloves or supports,
or some other adjustments. Anyone know?

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *
Old October 10th 03, 05:08 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Allan Adler writes:

I took my bike out a couple of weeks ago. While I was riding, I found that
there was so much weight on my wrists that they hurt. Apparently, I was
also resting on the ball of my thumb, since that still hurts whenever I
rest it on the handlebars. The handlebars are the short horizontal type

I think this might be more of a posture issue, than one of
how well the bicycle "fits" you, since you mention you're
still having to lean somewhat forward (which is actually
a good thing.)

If you find your wrists are bending backward while riding,
lift 'em a bit, and your back too, while keeping your
elbows loose. Perk up. Adjusting the saddle height up
or down might make things more comfortable.

At least, see what a perkier riding posture does, before
spending money on other stuff.

cheers, & still recalling my mom's plaintive nag: "Stop slouching!",
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old October 10th 03, 09:00 PM
Tanya Quinn

Is this a new bike? Have you had it for a while? Did it cause these
problems before? The big could be too big for you if you have to lean
too far forward. A shorter stem might help. Perhaps your seat is not
adjusted to the optimal height. You might prefer a bike that is
designed for a more upright riding style (hybrid). You could put bar
ends on the ends of your bars so that you would have a choice of two
riding positions (obviously only one for braking).

Are you wearing gloves while biking now? If not some gel-filled or
padded gloves might help ease pressure on your palms. Are your elbows
bent at all when you ride? If you have to lean so far that you can't
bend you are probably better adjusting the reach on the bike (or
trading in the bike for a better fitting one) than trying to find
gloves etc.