Durability Of Velocity Aerohead Rims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

Old November 16th 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Passing other cyclists

On 11/15/2010 7:38 PM, Duane Hebert wrote:
"Tom Sherman wrote in message
On 11/15/2010 8:22 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]
The only one that almost got me was a jogger. I managed to pass
her at the exact moment she reached her personal finish line and
did a wide 180 into my path.... but she was wearing ear buds, so
I was going slow enough to stop in time.

Joggers are evil.

Slightly less so than inline skaters.

Way less so than those who use poles.
Old November 16th 10, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Durability Of Velocity Aerohead Rims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

On 11/15/2010 07:54 PM, Peter Cole wrote:
On 11/15/2010 7:31 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 11/15/2010 10:17 AM, Peter Cole wrote:

Having rescued a number of 80's road bikes, I'd have to say that many
people are better off with a new bike. Old bikes have their charms for
retro-grouches, but most casual riders prefer more contemporary stuff
(like indexed shifting). By the time you replace the "consumables" on an
old bike, at least at bike shop prices, you're spending lots before even
considering upgrading components.

I have done a lot of "upgrades" and usually wind up saving only the
frame/fork in the end, The only reason I bother is that they don't make
such large (68cm) frames any more.

mmmm.... I dunno.

A while back I realized that due to the nature of riding that I did, I
wanted to try a Real Touring Bike(tm) and that also I wanted something
with a dynohub and real lighting. I bought a Trek 620 off Craigslist and
rehabbed it with new wheels, drivetrain, etc. and it ended up probably
costing me about the same as buying a new off the rack 520 without any
of the stuff I really wanted. Only real "downside" for someone who would
prefer modern stuff is the DT shifters instead of brifters, but that was
a conscious decision that I made (and the indexed Shimano DT shifters
were some of the more expensive parts that I bought for it.)

I think you're agreeing with me?

well, yes and no. If I'd bought a new touring bike spec'd the way I
wanted it (that is, with dynohub and lights) it would have cost me
*more* than it did to turn an old Trek frame into what I wanted - enough
so that I couldn't justify the expense.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 16th 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Duane Hebert

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
On 11/15/2010 7:38 PM, Duane Hebert wrote:
"Tom Sherman wrote in message
On 11/15/2010 8:22 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]
The only one that almost got me was a jogger. I managed to pass
her at the exact moment she reached her personal finish line and
did a wide 180 into my path.... but she was wearing ear buds, so
I was going slow enough to stop in time.

Joggers are evil.

Slightly less so than inline skaters.

Way less so than those who use poles.

Yeah. Do you have these skis on wheels things
in Boston? They're like the length of parabolics but
with wheels and they're ridden using polls.

They're not as bad as the skater though since then don't
do the side to side motion as much. Except when
the rider falls with the polls swinging around.

Old November 16th 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default Friction Shifting

On 11/15/2010 6:53 PM, Peter Cole wrote:
On 11/15/2010 7:22 PM, Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
On 11/15/2010 6:11 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
Peter wrote:
Having rescued a number of 80's road bikes, I'd have to say that many
people are better off with a new bike. Old bikes have their charms
for
retro-grouches, but most casual riders prefer more contemporary stuff
(like indexed shifting). By the time you replace the "consumables"
on an
old bike, at least at bike shop prices, you're spending lots before
even
considering upgrading components.

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Well, it depends. Index shifting dates from the mid-1980s, so there
are certainly 1980s bikes that have it, for those who want it. And
there were plenty of 1980s friction shifting bikes that shifted well
enough to satisfy lots of modern riders.

Peter Cole wrote:
I don't know lots of riders, modern or otherwise who like friction
shifting. Even when the first indexed shifters started showing up in
the mid-80's, they were DT or stem.

The worst part of old shifters is that you have to use old (design)
freewheels.

Really? why is that?

Friction and classic equipment works well, in fact better, with modern
tooth design freewheels and cassettes. Up to eightish though; friction
9-10-11 is dicey. Seven systems are fantastically better with modern
freewheels/cassettes than with classic tooth forms.

I have no problems shifting with bar-ends in friction mode, an 11-32
9-speed cassette, and a Shimano Tiagra derailer.

Indexing broken?

Easier to switch to friction mode than mess with adjusting the indexing
in the middle of a ride.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old November 16th 10, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 11/15/2010 6:38 PM, Duane Hebert wrote:
"Tom Sherman wrote in message
On 11/15/2010 8:22 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]
The only one that almost got me was a jogger. I managed to pass
her at the exact moment she reached her personal finish line and
did a wide 180 into my path.... but she was wearing ear buds, so
I was going slow enough to stop in time.

Joggers are evil.

Slightly less so than inline skaters.

Or dog walkers with those 20+ foot long extension leashes.

Old November 16th 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default DirtRoadie Real Life Stalker?

On 11/15/2010 8:46 PM, DirtRoadie WHO? ANONYMOUSLY SNIPES:
[...]

BTW, I'd be glad to discuss bikes and peripheral topics with you, but
your stalking IS unwelcome.

Your threatening to take the argument off Usenet and harass someone at
work is unwelcome.

Stop being offensive behind the cover of a pseudonym, and we can discuss
bicycles.

Old November 16th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
DirtRoadie

Default This space for rent

On Nov 15, 8:21*pm, Tom Sherman °_°

Old November 16th 10, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default The Plight of the USian Working Classes

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
On 11/15/2010 12:04 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Nope. I believe in lots of government regulation, but I don't want to
live
in a Soviet Union either. Libertarian fantasists are no different than
Progressive fantasists. The truth is that the human condition is not
perfectible. It never was and it never will be.

Well, Ed you contradicted yourself (again).

Consistency if the hobgoblin of small minds.
[...]

Glenn Beck is and that is the thrust of the Tea Party movement. Buchanan
is
also very good on the question of globalism and what it will mean for the
US. You realize of course that I am a rabid nationalist above all else.

Glenn Beck (and his ilk) is a shill for the rich corporatists, and well
compensated for being one.

How would you know? You've got get off those left wing blogs if you ever
want to know what is happening in the country. The problem I have with Beck
is that he is too intellectual for a TV audience. He is also a bit preachy
which does not go over well on TV.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 16th 10, 06:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Edward Dolan:

The hard times coming will be due to Obama and the Dems who have spent the
country into near bankruptcy. Or do you think China will be kind to us?

Google "United States Deficit". Don't take my word for it, look
it up.

You will find that the Reagan/Bush presidencies increased the
U.S. deficit by over 60%.

The Clinton/Carter presidencies, OTOH, reduced it by 13 percent.

To be fair, Clinton had a Republican congress to work with - and
that gives me at least some hope for the situation today.

But as far as Republican ideology goes, Vice-President Cheney
summed it up when he said "Reagan proved that deficits don't
matter".... before sacking O'Neill for complaining about the
growing deficit at the time.

The bottom line seems to be that *both* parties have discovered
that they can pander to a widespread fantasy that the country can
spend more than it takes in and somehow get away without any
pain.

That being the case, individual leaders become important.

Clinton was one who set out to reduce the deficit - and
succeeded.

Dubya did just the opposite - selling out our credit when he had
the chance to stand up there on Ground Zero and say something
like "We're gonna get these SOBs, but we all have to contribute
something to the effort."

You are right, but even so no one can spend like the Dems. The past two
years the spending has been in the stratosphere. No other spending spree
comes close. The spending has got to stop!