Salary sacrifice

Old June 15th 05, 09:26 AM
Euan

Default Salary sacrifice

My employer offers salary sacrifice for super and cars. My theory is
that if they can justify salary sacrifice for cars then there should be
no reason why salary sacrifice can't be justified for bicycles.

Has anyone had success with this sort of thing? Any advice on the best
tack to take?
--
Cheers
Euan
Old June 15th 05, 10:13 AM
trek-man

I cant offer advice because im in the same boat but i can say that whil
i was in brissy recently i overheard a lady racking up a huge bill a
the counter at lifecycle (over $10,000) and then she mentioned th
magical 'salary sacrifice' words and i quitely swore under my breath

Euan Wrote:
My employer offers salary sacrifice for super and cars. My theory i
that if they can justify salary sacrifice for cars then there should b
no reason why salary sacrifice can't be justified for bicycles

Has anyone had success with this sort of thing? Any advice on the bes
tack to take
-
Cheer
Eua

--
trek-man

Old June 15th 05, 10:19 AM
coppershark

Euan Wrote:
My employer offers salary sacrifice for super and cars. My theory is
that if they can justify salary sacrifice for cars then there shoul
be
no reason why salary sacrifice can't be justified for bicycles.

Has anyone had success with this sort of thing? Any advice on th
best
tack to take?
--
Cheers
Euan

There is a very good reason why salary sacrifice can't be justified fo
bicycles - they are not mentioned in the Fringe Benefits Tax Act.
You will have to ask John Howard to change the Fringe Benefits Tax Ac
first

--
coppershark

Old June 15th 05, 10:29 AM
GPLama

"Euan" wrote in message
My employer offers salary sacrifice for super and cars. My theory is
that if they can justify salary sacrifice for cars then there should be
no reason why salary sacrifice can't be justified for bicycles.

Has anyone had success with this sort of thing? Any advice on the best
tack to take?

Hmmm.. now you've got me thinking!!..

cheers,
GPL

Old June 15th 05, 11:00 AM
Euan

"coppershark" == coppershark writes:

coppershark Euan Wrote:
My employer offers salary sacrifice for super and cars. My
theory is that if they can justify salary sacrifice for cars then
there should be no reason why salary sacrifice can't be justified
for bicycles.

Has anyone had success with this sort of thing? Any advice on
the best tack to take? -- Cheers Euan

coppershark There is a very good reason why salary sacrifice can't
coppershark be justified for bicycles - they are not mentioned in
coppershark the Fringe Benefits Tax Act. You will have to ask John
coppershark Howard to change the Fringe Benefits Tax Act first!

Oh bugga. Strike cunning plan to get new bike :-(
--
Cheers
Euan
Old June 15th 05, 11:20 AM
kingsley

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:19:31 +1000, coppershark wrote:

My employer offers salary sacrifice for super and cars.

There is a very good reason why salary sacrifice can't be justified for
bicycles - they are not mentioned in the Fringe Benefits Tax Act.

So my company can buy me bicycles with no problem with FBT ?!
Mmmmm... new Ti delivery bike

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: )

Old June 15th 05, 11:46 AM
flyingdutch

in the mid 90's i scored a job for the first time in the evil CBD.
T'was bit sceptical about it but the job and bucks were good so took i
on.
Soon discovered how cool the city was, but part of my package was
carparking spot, as i had always worked in (advertising) in Sth Melb
richmond or StK Rd with free parking.

Months slipped by and the parking spot was never organised...
I was catching trams to begin with and then started riding after kne
reco's.
Anyway's, the boss asks "What's the carpark like that Im in?"
"Dunno. you never arranged it for me!"

The carpark was worth (then) about $3500 so i had a flash of brillianc
and pitched my evil plan...

"Howabout we forget the yearly carpark fee and you gimme a one-of
payment of $4K so I can buy a super-commuter and all related gear an
gym membership so I can shower/change/etc?"

Well, he 'bought' it!!! I got new bike (Its still my slicked u
commuter with racks/panniers and lights that still burn bright).

I guess that's not FBT or 'package' related but perhaps its all in th
sales pitch? both parties get what they want nd so does society. winne
i say..

--
flyingdutch

Old June 15th 05, 12:04 PM
ritcho

kingsley Wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:19:31 +1000, coppershark wrote:

My employer offers salary sacrifice for super and cars.

There is a very good reason why salary sacrifice can't be justifie

for
bicycles - they are not mentioned in the Fringe Benefits Tax Act.

So my company can buy me bicycles with no problem with FBT ?!
Mmmmm... new Ti delivery bike

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: )
http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Aske
Questions

Unfortunately, if it _isn't_ mentioned specifically for FBT, it mean
it _attracts_ FBT at the highest rate. This means your salary sacrific
will be completely eaten up by FBT, leaving you no better or worse off
I tried this one out already...

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old June 15th 05, 12:09 PM
Euan

"flyingdutch" == flyingdutch writes:

flyingdutch "Howabout we forget the yearly carpark fee and you
flyingdutch gimme a one-off payment of $4K so I can buy a
flyingdutch super-commuter and all related gear and gym membership
flyingdutch so I can shower/change/etc?"

flyingdutch Well, he 'bought' it!!! I got new bike (Its still my
flyingdutch slicked up commuter with racks/panniers and lights that
flyingdutch still burn bright).

Inspiring stuff. Unfortunately I'm government so doubt I'll be able to
swing that.

Very cool though :-)
--
Cheers
Euan
Old June 15th 05, 02:16 PM
Terry Collins

coppershark Euan Wrote:
My employer offers salary sacrifice for super and cars. My
theory is that if they can justify salary sacrifice for cars then
there should be no reason why salary sacrifice can't be justified
for bicycles.

Has anyone had success with this sort of thing? Any advice on
the best tack to take? -- Cheers Euan

coppershark There is a very good reason why salary sacrifice can't
coppershark be justified for bicycles - they are not mentioned in
coppershark the Fringe Benefits Tax Act. You will have to ask John
coppershark Howard to change the Fringe Benefits Tax Act first!

Oh bugga. Strike cunning plan to get new bike :-(

Something tells me that people have been getting computers under this
scheme, so you buy a computer(bicycle of course) and OH&S approved safe
moving device (bicycle) {:-).

tax perk JB UK 32 March 5th 05 09:57 PM
Bicycle sales leave motors in the dust flyingdutch Australia 10 December 17th 04 12:54 AM