Supergo RIP

Old January 14th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Supergo RIP

Just received an email to the effect that "Supergo.com has closed and
is now part of Performance Bicycle". I know that they were owned by
Performance for some time, but apparently they have decided to kill off
the franchise. I notice that both Supergo and Nashbar have been having
a higher than normal number of "sales" in the past year. And Nashbar
seemed to be making an effort to clear out lots of NOS merchandise that
seeminly had been gathering dust for years. I wonder if Nashbar is next
for the scrap heap?

Old January 14th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just received an email to the effect that "Supergo.com has closed and
is now part of Performance Bicycle". I know that they were owned by
Performance for some time, but apparently they have decided to kill off
the franchise. I notice that both Supergo and Nashbar have been having
a higher than normal number of "sales" in the past year. And Nashbar
seemed to be making an effort to clear out lots of NOS merchandise that
seeminly had been gathering dust for years. I wonder if Nashbar is next
for the scrap heap?

Prices on the way up???

Old January 14th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:51:15 -0800, Ozark Bicycle wrote:

Just received an email to the effect that "Supergo.com has closed and is
now part of Performance Bicycle". I know that they were owned by
Performance for some time, but apparently they have decided to kill off
the franchise. I notice that both Supergo and Nashbar have been having a
higher than normal number of "sales" in the past year. And Nashbar seemed
to be making an effort to clear out lots of NOS merchandise that seeminly
had been gathering dust for years. I wonder if Nashbar is next for the
scrap heap?

Performance bought Supergo quite awhile ago. They were probably waiting
for some store leases to run out, etc., before finally merging the two
companies.

Frankly I think it's stupid to kill such a well established brand name,
like with the Sav-on/Osco debacle several years ago.

Matt O.
Old January 14th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Matt O'Toole writes:

Just received an email to the effect that "Supergo.com has closed
and is now part of Performance Bicycle". I know that they were
owned by Performance for some time, but apparently they have
decided to kill off the franchise. I notice that both Supergo and
Nashbar have been having a higher than normal number of "sales" in
the past year. And Nashbar seemed to be making an effort to clear
out lots of NOS merchandise that seemingly had been gathering dust
for years. I wonder if Nashbar is next for the scrap heap?

Performance bought Supergo quite awhile ago. They were probably
waiting for some store leases to run out, etc., before finally
merging the two companies.

Frankly I think it's stupid to kill such a well established brand
name, like with the Sav-on/Osco debacle several years ago.

You think that's bad, boards of directors and CEO's make much greater
blunders in name change. In Switzerland the world famous FO (Furka
Oberalp) railway was merged with the equally famous BVZ (Brig Visp
Zermatt) to become the MGB (Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn) which has little
to do with where the RR runs. The Big red locomotives with three foot
high FO on the side were not forgotten by anyone who saw them. Not
only that, but most people still call it the FO as you see in their
URL's.

http://www.rail-info.ch/FO/index.en.html
http://www.rail-info.ch/FO/pics/9030-224.jpg
http://www.fo-bahn.ch/

Then when the equally famous BRÃœNIG railway merged with the LSE they
chose Zentralbahn as the name, one that doesn't hint at where it is.

http://www.zentralbahn.ch/downloads/...itsbericht.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%BCnigbahn

To make up for that the Santa Fe and Burlington Northern were merged
to most people's satisfaction into the BNSF a great name that doesn't
wast the heritage of either of these famous railways.

http://archive.trainpix.com/BNSF/

Change of logos is more prevalent as the ATT blue disk with white
stripes becomes a clumsy distracting pseudo spherical image of that
logo, and UPS changing an elegant shield with a package ribbon as
crossbar to a smear of, who knows what, across the top.

Or most stupid, Cadillac Cars removing the six ducks from their logo
to attract younger buyers, as if anyone scrutinized the ducks before
deciding to buy or that ducks are anti-youth.

Jobst Brandt
Old January 14th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Matt O'Toole wrote:
[...]

And Del Taco buying Naugles years before that. At least Del Taco
brought back the Macho Combo.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old January 14th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Jobst Brandt wrote:
Matt O'Toole writes:
Frankly I think it's stupid to kill such a well established brand
name, like with the Sav-on/Osco debacle several years ago.

You think that's bad, boards of directors and CEO's make much greater
blunders in name change. In Switzerland the world famous FO (Furka
Oberalp) railway was merged with the equally famous BVZ (Brig Visp
Zermatt) to become the MGB (Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn) which has little
to do with where the RR runs. The Big red locomotives with three foot
high FO on the side were not forgotten by anyone who saw them. Not
only that, but most people still call it the FO as you see in their
URL's....

One wonders why the Sedis name was dropped by Sachs/SRAM, considering
the reputation of Sedis chains. Atom, Hurét, Maillard and Normandy are
another matter.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 14th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just received an email to the effect that "Supergo.com has closed and
is now part of Performance Bicycle". I know that they were owned by
Performance for some time, but apparently they have decided to kill off
the franchise. I notice that both Supergo and Nashbar have been having
a higher than normal number of "sales" in the past year. And Nashbar
seemed to be making an effort to clear out lots of NOS merchandise that
seeminly had been gathering dust for years. I wonder if Nashbar is next
for the scrap heap?

Performance and Supergo, at least the mail order divisions, targetted the
same buyer, the fitness cyclist. Their offerings skewed toward the racer and
go-fast crowd. I've noticed Nashbar offering more BoBish items lately.
They're carrying Brooks saddles, a touring frame, wicker basket, wool, and
offered their own moustache bar. Could be Nashbar will evolve into a store
to serve the commuter/tourist market. Of course, if Nashbar brings out a
lugged steel frame we'll know I'm right. LOL.