Purchasing Race Wheels: new or used?

Old January 8th 04, 03:10 PM
David Matusow

Default Purchasing Race Wheels: new or used?

Hi,

I am considering getting a pair of race wheels, and have pretty much
decided on exactly what I want. The question is: should I go for new
ones (about $1000) or look for a used pair? Several people have warned
me that if I get a used pair, and I have a problem, that the expense to
fix them will end up costing me (along with the used price) more than a
new pair would have to begin with. So, is it worth the risk or just
better to bit the bullet and get a new pair?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
--David

--
David Matusow
NASA / GSFC
Old January 8th 04, 09:19 PM
joel roth

Say, your address indicates NASA, so give us the scoop....... new wheels
for the Mars rover?

Either way, I'd suggest new wheels.

joel

Old January 8th 04, 10:50 PM
FlashSteve

I have bought three pairs of race wheels on the rbr newsgroup (two had Dura-ace
hubs and Mavic Open Pro rims and one was Velocity Rims w/fancy aftermarket
hubs). I paid an average of about $125/per pair for these wheelsets (new price
would be ~$400). All three were 'near new' condition. All three have served
me well and held up perfectly. So, great bargains in all cases. Of course,
there is always a risk when buying sight unseen, and I vetted each seller via
e-mail. It is always best to see the wheels first, so I would first recommend
a Wheels Wanted local ad first. There are so many racers willing to trade in
their perfectly good wheels, with the dream of buying the latest greatest
lightest fastest over-hyped wheels.

Steve Scarich
Old January 9th 04, 01:39 PM
booner

Depends on the source. I have a cyclist friend who was selling his whom
I've known for some time. He made me a good deal and I've been extremely
pleased.

BBB

.edu...

Old January 9th 04, 07:36 PM
Kent

Just my two cents but I have as of yet to have an internet wheel deal
go wrong (knock on wood). And for the record my wheel fetish is as
follows (none were bought new) Rolf Vector comps, Mavic Ksyrium,
Spinergy Spox and RevX, a 650c Falcon disk (that is for sale if anyone
is interested), one very nice Renn disk wheel (that is never going to
be for sale), and the piece de resistance..my new Zipp 404s (2003
version..so very sweet). Have also gone through (and either sold or
traded) a pair of Hed J2s, another pair of Spinergy Spox, a set of
Rigida DP18, a pair of Specialized trispokes, and a set of Mavic 3Gs
(that I wish I had kept now..sigh). Pretty sure, if memory serves me
correctly, that not one of these wheels gave me a lick of trouble
(maybe I was just blessed) and all of them came through the internet
in one way shape or form. I found it's knowing exactly what you want
and the best places to go about finding them that is the trick. Yes a
new set of wheels will come with a warranty but in some cases it will
come with a hefty price tag (got my Zipps for an obscenely low price
and they came fully equipped...including the ti skewers...and in mint
condition). To some degree it becomes a question of how heavy you are
and how hard you are on equipment. If you're a clydesdale, you ride on
rough road, or you toss your bike on the rack in transition maybe
going with new is not such a bad idea. Either way a big buck pair of
wheels is hard to beat for a sweet ride. Best of luck to you.
cheers
Kent