Scott Drop-in question...

Old December 23rd 03, 01:04 AM
kb

Default Scott Drop-in question...

I have a new Scott Drop in bar, but no box or paperwork. There is no metal
sleeve at the top center of the bars, the bars don't bulge at all where the
stem would go, they are a consistent width all the way along the bars. What
clamp size would these be???

Old December 23rd 03, 06:47 AM
Dominick Fiumara

You need the split shim that goes in the middle. Your handlebar clamp
needs a place to be attached to. It's a strenth issue.
Dominick
--
Dominick Fiumare Email:
Facilities & Services Voice: 505-646-2529
Old December 23rd 03, 02:10 PM
James Scott

Dominick Fiumara "dominic"@ nmsu . edu wrote in message ...
You need the split shim that goes in the middle. Your handlebar clamp
needs a place to be attached to. It's a strenth issue.
Dominick

See http://www.bikepro.com/products/hand...scottdrop.html, which
inexplicably still has the c.-1997 info on Scott drop handlebars. It's
a miniature wayback machine for bike geeks.

According to that page, both the regular and "LF" versions of the
drop-in bars require a collar or shim. This is unlike the "AT" series
of straight bars, whose LF versions were swaged so that the center
section had the appropriate clamp diameter without a shim.

AFAIK nobody makes a stem with a 7/8" clamp diameter, which is what
you'd need in this case. Even so, the bars were not designed to be
used without a collar so I wouldn't feel safe without one.

JLS
Old December 23rd 03, 06:58 PM
A Muzi

kb wrote:

I have a new Scott Drop in bar, but no box or paperwork. There is no metal
sleeve at the top center of the bars, the bars don't bulge at all where the
stem would go, they are a consistent width all the way along the bars. What
clamp size would these be???

7/8". There are two-part sleeves ( as used on such bars as
Profile Aero-1) to bring that out to 25.4 or to 26.0

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old December 25th 03, 02:54 AM
kb

This is funny.....
I think I have the shims you speak of. I always though they were meant to
put under the tape in the bends of the bar for a more comfy hand position!
Why? Because the first pair I had a -long- time ago had a shim
pre-installed, I'm positive, and it also came with the two pieces. Or am I
still missing something?? How were the two pieces meant to be held in place
while sliding the stem into position??
Even though they weren't stiff, I always loved these bars.

Old December 25th 03, 02:56 AM
kb

For example, in this auction, the bar seems to have the sleeve
pre-installed, doesn't look like two pieces:

Old December 25th 03, 06:03 AM
A Muzi

kb wrote:
This is funny.....
I think I have the shims you speak of. I always though they were meant to
put under the tape in the bends of the bar for a more comfy hand position!
Why? Because the first pair I had a -long- time ago had a shim
pre-installed, I'm positive, and it also came with the two pieces. Or am I
still missing something?? How were the two pieces meant to be held in place
while sliding the stem into position??
Even though they weren't stiff, I always loved these bars.

They are easily slipped into the stem around the bar. The
stem clamps the shims and bar together.

But do you have the _right_ shims? Do note the resulting
outer diameter.

If you use the "25.4" set in a 26.0 stem you'll risk the bar
slipping. It's a good habit to stand in front of the bike
and put your full weight on the brake levers after
tightening a handlebar in a stem. Because of the natural
weight shift to the front when braking, and because you're
supporting yourself on those levers when braking, you want
to know everything's secure before you ride.

Old December 27th 03, 07:55 AM
BaCardi

Not a good idea to use shims in a handlebar/stem combo. It will slip for
sure. I had some of these bars with a shim and over time the bars always
tended to slip and no amount of retightening will fix that.

Old December 28th 03, 05:43 AM
A Muzi

BaCardi wrote:

Not a good idea to use shims in a handlebar/stem combo. It will slip for
sure. I had some of these bars with a shim and over time the bars always
tended to slip and no amount of retightening will fix that.

The first year Scott bars were supplied with a straight 7/8
center and two pairs of shims, 25.4 and 26.0. Of course a
typical amateur installation with the wrong shims and a dry
stem bolt will predictably slip.

The notable shimmed bar, the Profile Aero-1, not only used
that system, but didn't slip with the rider's upper body
hiked out well in front of the stem in triathlons.

Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
Question on use of Yakima BigHorn 4 Bike Rack trailer hitch. Easy question. Thanks, tryitoz Joe Donaldson General 4 March 14th 04 02:08 AM
Drop Bear Stalks Australian Riders Oyster Mountain Biking 8 February 6th 04 04:08 AM
flat bars vs drops (again) Harald Techniques 138 December 17th 03 02:55 PM
Shallow drop vs deep drop bars Clyde Techniques 2 December 11th 03 05:44 PM