Convert 2004 Centaur front shifter from triple to double?

Old July 5th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

Default Convert 2004 Centaur front shifter from triple to double?

How can a 2004 Centaur front shifter be changed from triple to
double? Do I need to buy a new shift disc? Any pointers to a source
of the needed parts and/or instructions? Lots of googling has yielded
very little information((

Thanks in advance!
Old July 5th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

Dave wrote:
How can a 2004 Centaur front shifter be changed from triple to
double? Do I need to buy a new shift disc? Any pointers to a source
of the needed parts and/or instructions? Lots of googling has yielded
very little information((

Thanks in advance!

Set the limit screws of your double front derailleur and you are done.
No need for a new shifter. The shifter is not indexed. With a double you
only use less clicks.

Lou
Old July 5th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Dave wrote:
How can a 2004 Centaur front shifter be changed from triple to
double? Do I need to buy a new shift disc? Any pointers to a source
of the needed parts and/or instructions? Lots of googling has yielded
very little information((

It is both already.

If you are able to ride a bicycle with such a shifter, all will be revealed.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 5th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Set the limit screws of your double front derailleur and you are done.
No need for a new shifter. The shifter is not indexed. With a double you
only use less clicks.

Would the OP not need a new derailer designed for a triple crankset?

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old July 5th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Set the limit screws of your double front derailleur and you are done.
No need for a new shifter. The shifter is not indexed. With a double
you only use less clicks.

Would the OP not need a new derailer designed for a triple crankset?

\\paul

That's not what he asked. He wants to convert from triple to double. He
needs a double front derailleur not a new Ergo shifter.

Lou
Old July 5th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted

The triple Front derailleur will work fine with the double set up.
The derailleur has no idea how many rings there are.
Old July 5th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Jul 5, 1:36*pm, Ted wrote:
The triple Front derailleur will work fine with the double set up.
The derailleur has no idea how many rings there are.

Unless it's a compact double, in which case the cage's ramps are
misplaced, and if you can get it to shift, it shifts like crap. At
least that's been my experience.
Old July 6th 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

Hank wrote:
On Jul 5, 1:36 pm, Ted wrote:
The triple Front derailleur will work fine with the double set up.
The derailleur has no idea how many rings there are.

Unless it's a compact double, in which case the cage's ramps are
misplaced, and if you can get it to shift, it shifts like crap. At
least that's been my experience.

That is exactly my experience too.

Lou
Old July 6th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jul 5, 9:00*am, Dave wrote:
How can a 2004 Centaur front shifter be changed from triple to
double? *Do I need to buy a new shift disc? *Any pointers to a source
of the needed parts and/or instructions? *Lots of googling has yielded
very little information((

Thanks in advance!

Surprised that 'lots of googling' has NOT yielded an answer to this
shifter design that has been around, essentially unchanged, for about
18 years. Campagnolo USA needs to take note. As the new head of
CampagnoloUSA has said, they have little face to face presence in bike
shops and with riders. It's been that way for a long time, too bad,
needs to change.
Old July 6th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

On Jul 5, 8:37 am, Lou Holtman wrote:
Dave wrote:
How can a 2004 Centaur front shifter be changed from triple to
double? Do I need to buy a new shift disc? Any pointers to a source
of the needed parts and/or instructions? Lots of googling has yielded
very little information((

Thanks in advance!

Set the limit screws of your double front derailleur and you are done.
No need for a new shifter. The shifter is not indexed. With a double you
only use less clicks.

Lou

Ahh this explains my confusion...I'm actually helping out a friend of
mine with his bike, have never ridden a triple Ergo bike myself. I
didn't realize there wasn't a distinct middle stop.