You just know the mental tone of voice

Old December 7th 08, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat[_2_]

Default You just know the mental tone of voice

the writer was using when this little gem appearing in this morning's Sunday
Torygraph (07/12/2008)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...etRule=0#head7

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6mnhdf

in the letter "Cycling out of lane"

"I drive to work every morning along an extremely congested dual
carriageway. Parallel to the road is an excellent cycle path. However, one
cyclist always uses the main road. Cars on the inside lane often have to
swerve on to the outside lane to avoid colliding with this chap as he
emerges in their view unexpectedly.

Should there not be a regulation to ensure that, where cycle paths have been
provided at great taxpayer expense, the road should not be used by cyclists?

John Seaton, Bristol"

I wouldn't be surprised if he reads The Daily Wail as well.. :roll eyes: All
those drivers with poor eyesight having to *swerve*..

Old December 7th 08, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 11:01:49 -0000, "wafflycat"
said in
:

the writer was using when this little gem appearing in this morning's Sunday
Torygraph (07/12/2008)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...etRule=0#head7

Why do I get the feeling that was written in green ink? I suppose
somebody really ought to write in and correct such obvious idiocy,
but it would need to be succinct.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
Old December 7th 08, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

wrote:

the writer was using when this little gem appearing in this morning's Sunday
Torygraph (07/12/2008)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...etRule=0#head7

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6mnhdf

in the letter "Cycling out of lane"

"I drive to work every morning along an extremely congested dual
carriageway. Parallel to the road is an excellent cycle path. However, one
cyclist always uses the main road. Cars on the inside lane often have to
swerve on to the outside lane to avoid colliding with this chap as he
emerges in their view unexpectedly.

Should there not be a regulation to ensure that, where cycle paths have been
provided at great taxpayer expense, the road should not be used by cyclists?

John Seaton, Bristol"

Excellent - this is certainly the way to go - proper "mandatory" cycle
lanes and paths.

I will drop a note to my MP about it - see if he will support it when
it comes up in Parliament. He may even be willing to sponsor a Bill.

--

Cyclists have been known to ride on the pavement and this occasionally
brings them into conflict with pedestrians. This conflict has been

Old December 7th 08, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 11:01:49 -0000 someone who may be "wafflycat"
wrote this:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...etRule=0#head7

"I drive to work every morning along an extremely congested dual
carriageway. Parallel to the road is an excellent cycle path.

Who says so?

I wouldn't be surprised if he reads The Daily Wail as well.. :roll eyes: All
those drivers with poor eyesight having to *swerve*..

Indeed.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old December 7th 08, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

David Hansen twisted the electrons to say:
wrote this:-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...etRule=0#head7

"I drive to work every morning along an extremely congested dual
carriageway. Parallel to the road is an excellent cycle path.

Who says so?

The car driver of course! Aren't you aware that all car drivers, but
most especially the ones who don't ride bicycles, are experts at quickly
assessing the quality of any cycle path they happen to glance at? :-)
Old December 7th 08, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

wrote this:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...88&menuItemId=...

"I drive to work every morning along an extremely congested dual
carriageway. Parallel to the road is an excellent cycle path.

Who says so?

The poster says so, are you calling him a liar?

I wouldn't be surprised if he reads The Daily Wail as well.. :roll eyes: All
those drivers with poor eyesight having to *swerve*..

Indeed.

Who mentioned poor eyesight?

--
* David Hansen, Edinburgh
*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me

Old December 7th 08, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

wrote this:-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...88&menuItemId=...

"I drive to work every morning along an extremely congested dual
carriageway. Parallel to the road is an excellent cycle path.

Who says so?

The car driver of course! *Aren't you aware that all car drivers, but
most especially the ones who don't ride bicycles, are experts at quickly
assessing the quality of any cycle path they happen to glance at? *:-)

Who said the driver was not qualified to come to that conclusion?
Old December 7th 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

wrote this:-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...88&menuItemId=...

"I drive to work every morning along an extremely congested dual
carriageway. Parallel to the road is an excellent cycle path.
Who says so?

The car driver of course! *Aren't you aware that all car drivers, but
most especially the ones who don't ride bicycles, are experts at quickly
assessing the quality of any cycle path they happen to glance at? *:-)

Who said the driver was not qualified to come to that conclusion?

Because he has made a statement criticising a cyclist.
Therefore he cannot be a cyclist himself.
Therefore he knows nothing about cycling.
Therefore he should never comment on any aspect of cycling.

Welcome to uk.rec.cycling

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
Some evidence shows that helmeted cyclists are more likely to hit
Old December 7th 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

PeterG wrote:
wrote this:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...88&menuItemId=...
"I drive to work every morning along an extremely congested dual
carriageway. Parallel to the road is an excellent cycle path.

Who says so?

The poster says so, are you calling him a liar?
I wouldn't be surprised if he reads The Daily Wail as well.. :roll eyes: All
those drivers with poor eyesight having to *swerve*..

Indeed.

Who mentioned poor eyesight?

It probably automatically springs to mind whenever anyone mentions David Hansen.
Old December 7th 08, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On Dec 7, 11:01*am, "wafflycat"
wrote:
[...]

Anyone with an interest in cycling safely knows that cycle lanes are
FAR more dangerous for cyclists than the roads. There are hidden
drives, telephone boxes, bollards, parked cars, broken glass,
pedestrians. Since I pay for the roads via my council tax and VED then
I will use the roads, and if this driver feels that a cyclist doing
20mph at most can "suddenly appear unexpectedly" then he really should
hand his license in. Cyclists are vehicles, they have an absolute
right to use the roads whereas motorists can only use roads under
strict legal conditions. It's alrming that drivers this stupid are
driving around.