Firecrackers!

Old June 23rd 04, 06:27 AM
Bernie

Default Firecrackers!

The Real Bev wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:

The Real Bev wrote, of ammonia:

What do you think is in Windex? Do you wear gloves when you clean your
windows?

Did you ever spray that stuff on emerging carpenter ants?
Kills 'em quicker than than Black Flag and much easier to clean up.

Doesn't work worth **** on ordinary black/grease/sugar ants. The
cohabitant of a friend was very anti-insecticide, resulting in ants even
in the damn refrigerator. She figured that Windex wouldn't violate his
animalitarian instincts so we spent a lot of time spraying the damn
things with it before the guests arrived. Damn ants just swam around in
it until we squashed 'em with a sponge. Nothing like ants in the
refrigerator to gross somebody out.

Hell, I've lived in downtown Toronto. Little ants in ye fridge would be
ignored next to the lovely big brown cockroaches everywhere. They
useta freak me a bit...
Bernie

Old June 23rd 04, 08:11 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Curtis L. Russell writes:

And I worked at a vet for three years and have owned a lot of dogs
myself. I know dogs better than most - I'm one of those people that
they call a dog person, where even unfriendly dogs come up to me
wagging their tails - but the only people worse than those that know
nothing about dogs are those that assume they can read every dog that
comes up the pike.

Human beans are just as readable (or unreadable.) I agree
it's a mistake to make ridiculous presumptions. But most
of the dogs I've encountered have really appreciated being
regarded with due respect, and have responded in kind. That
includes not bothering them with a bunch of unwelcome attention.

I've had my share of stitches from dogs that both I
and the vets misread (actually both thumbs have scars up their side
from 30 plus years ago). And some large breeds are known for making no
overt sign until they strike.

But how deeply were you incursing into their personal spaces?
Y'know, same as how people don't like other people standing
or sidling-up too close to them, like on a crowded bus or subway.
Or poking fingers, or making other such intrusive gestures at them.
Or even approaching too closely when they're gnawing on a delicious
soup bone that's all their own.

mmmm ... soup bone.

Anyhow, a vet clinic isn't a place where dogs feel comfortable.
It's not the same as out in the wide-open.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old June 23rd 04, 01:57 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:11:44 -0700, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

But how deeply were you incursing into their personal spaces?
Y'know, same as how people don't like other people standing
or sidling-up too close to them, like on a crowded bus or subway.

Naive. Some breeds, especially herd and flock defenders as opposed to
herders, were bred to be silent killers, and expected to handle
anything up to and including European wolves on their own. For some
reason, the native Japanese large rural breeds seem to have a lot of
them, as well as EastEuropean native herd dogs. These suckers will
chase silently and close with one purpose - waiting for signs and
signals is not the way to handle these animals (OTOH, I'll admit that
if you are being chased by one of these 70-120 pound breeds, I don't
have a lot of solutions. Tossing your ride companions to them and keep
booking is the most effective, if a touch mean spirited.)

The basic problem is people buying these animals and putting them in
the wrong place. A boxer in an apartment with furniture that is not
bottom heavy is a bad idea. An Akita, even a socialized one, in a
place where there are a lot of strange people and animals is also not
a good idea. Any free ranging animal in the open is not only a bad
idea, it is illegal in most states in the U.S.

Anyway, I was paid to hold the animals. If the animal went a bit wild,
I was paid to stand there until all the 'civilians' were out of the
way. My worst scars were because the owner of a rather nice (normally)
German Shepherd refused to leave the room.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...