Firecrackers!

Old June 20th 04, 07:47 AM
Rich Clark

Default Firecrackers!

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message

Cruelty to animals is against the law. If I ever see anyone spraying

ammonia
on a dog, I will report you to the police and follow the case through the
courts to make sure you are punished. There is no need to spray ammonia on

chasing dog. A surprise shot of plain water shocks the animal enough to

make
it give up the chase. I have seen this work time after time.

Self defense is self defense, be the attacker a dog or a man. I don't carry
weapons -- I'm on a bike, I can escape easily enough -- but if the dog is
biting you, it's not against the law to do whatever it takes to make it
stop.

RichC

Old June 20th 04, 01:04 PM
Badger_South

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 00:49:15 -0500, Kevan Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:22:41 +0800, Michael J. Klein
from DCI HiNet wrote:

I'm not suggesting anything, mind you. I'm just going to play a game
of word-assocation with you, ok?

Dog
Chasing
Bicycle
Water Pistol
Ammonia

Cruelty to animals is against the law. If I ever see anyone spraying ammonia
on a dog, I will report you to the police and follow the case through the
courts to make sure you are punished. There is no need to spray ammonia on a
chasing dog. A surprise shot of plain water shocks the animal enough to make
it give up the chase. I have seen this work time after time.

I'm very reluctant to do anything to the animal, b/c IMO, it's the owner's
fault 100% for failing to keep control of their pet. In fact in I fantacize
spraying the owner! g

But are you saying that ammonia would harm the dog? Is it not equivalent to
skunk spray (only less oily)? I'd doubt that 1/2 clear ammonia and water
would harm the dog, but I don't know - perhaps you have some experience?

OTOH, I can't see the police prosecuting someone who sprayed anything on a
dog that was chasing them such that they feared for their safety, unless
the cops witnessed it and found the dog and found injuries. What makes you
think they would. Just asking.

-Badger

Old June 20th 04, 01:11 PM
GABIKE

--
Kevan Smith

What about cruelty to humans? Get your head out of your rear end.
Old June 20th 04, 01:59 PM
Michael J. Klein

from DCI HiNet wrote:

I'm not suggesting anything, mind you. I'm just going to play a game
of word-assocation with you, ok?

Dog
Chasing
Bicycle
Water Pistol
Ammonia

Cruelty to animals is against the law. If I ever see anyone spraying ammonia
on a dog, I will report you to the police and follow the case through the
courts to make sure you are punished. There is no need to spray ammonia on a
chasing dog. A surprise shot of plain water shocks the animal enough to make
it give up the chase. I have seen this work time after time.

You're making assumptions. What works best is firing the ammonia
directly down which puts a spot of foul smelling stuff between
whatever is chasing you, and you.

Another assumption is that a chasing dog is someone's pet. Depending
upon where one lives, that may or may not be the case. Where I live,
the wild dog popluation frequently overtakes, kills and eats humans.
Water doesn't "shock" wild animals very much.
Michael J. Klein
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings
Old June 20th 04, 03:58 PM
John

"Rich Clark" wrote in message ...
"Kevan Smith" wrote in message

Cruelty to animals is against the law. If I ever see anyone spraying

ammonia
on a dog, I will report you to the police and follow the case through the
courts to make sure you are punished. There is no need to spray ammonia on

chasing dog. A surprise shot of plain water shocks the animal enough to

make
it give up the chase. I have seen this work time after time.

Self defense is self defense, be the attacker a dog or a man. I don't carry
weapons -- I'm on a bike, I can escape easily enough -- but if the dog is
biting you, it's not against the law to do whatever it takes to make it
stop.

RichC

I've tried water, but since these are Labradors they seem to like it.
I've also tried my fists, my shoes, and an ultrasonic device. There
are 2 of these dogs, both capable of chasing me down at 20mph, and
then pacing me for nearly a mile while barking and growling all the
time.

The dogs have bitten me. I confronted the owner after that happened
and was told that since they lived in the country they weren't going
to chain their dogs...which I guess I can understand. But there are
dozens of unchained dogs around here that don't chase me and have
never bitten me.

After talking to the owner some more, I decided to try Halt spray. I
managed to hit 1 dog with it. That dog immediately stopped chasing,
went to the side of the road, and started rubbing its head on the
ground. But the dogs have continued to chase despite that instance
and further use of the Halt.

I regard the owner's negligence in training and controlling his
animals, which is leading towards the dogs being put down, as a far
greater example of animal cruelty than ammonia, firecrackers, or a
gunshot to the head.
Old June 20th 04, 04:23 PM
Marlene Blanshay

"Michael J. Klein" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:05:14 -0400, "Marlene Blanshay"
wrote:

A friend of mine was actually nearly INTENTIONALLY run down recently. He

was
out on a road in a sort of remote, semi-burb-rural area frequented by
cyclists, when a teenager or young guy, maybe 20, yelled out the window

'get
off the road, asshole!' My friend flipped him the bird, and then the

stopped
and backed up, and tried to run him down! My friend jumped off the road
into a ditch, and then the van zoomed off. My friend got back on his bike
and continued on, then sees the same van coming straight at him in the
opposite lane, then swerved into the oncoming lane and tried to run my
friend down again! Once again, he ran off the road into a field. THe

morons
sped off. No damage,no injuries but also no license plate number. I did

say
earlier that most teens aren't malicious, but these guys obviously were!

And people ask me why I pack whenever I come back to the US.
Michael J. Klein
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

Well,. this was actually in Canada. Idiots can live anywhere. Packing isn'nt
a good idea,we have gun control laws.

Old June 20th 04, 05:21 PM
Claire Petersky

"Karen M." wrote in message
om...
Hi folks--
This really takes the cake...some teen weenie threw a strand of
firecrackers at me Thursday evening.

This story made me recall how someone threw a firecracker at my while I was
on my bike when I was about nine or ten years old. I was *so* frightened
from it. I rode to my friend's house which was only four more houses down
the street, and basically stepped over their threshold and burst into sobs.
Her mom was really nice to me, and helped me feel better. It's mean to throw
firecrackers at anyone, but at a kid is even worse. I had completely
forgotten that incident until reading this posting.

Karen, you don't have a friend's mom to give you hugs, probably, so I'll
give you some of my virtual ones.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old June 20th 04, 07:15 PM
H. M. Leary

In article ,
Kevan Smith wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 20:59:43 +0800, Michael J. Klein
from DCI HiNet wrote:

You're making assumptions. What works best is firing the ammonia
directly down which puts a spot of foul smelling stuff between
whatever is chasing you, and you.

That's BS. You're just trying to appear less an ass than you already do. You
would spray the ammonia on the dog.

Another assumption is that a chasing dog is someone's pet. Depending
upon where one lives, that may or may not be the case. Where I live,
the wild dog popluation frequently overtakes, kills and eats humans.

A dingo ate your heart, apparently.

Anyway, if you live in an area like that, you'd obviously be better off not
riding your bike there. And, if the dogs are such a danger, I am sure there
are organized efforts you can join to cull the population humanely.

Frankly, though, I think you are lying.

--
Kevan Smith

Mr. Klein lives in Taiwan, Ibelieve.

There, dog is a fine meal eaten by humans.

Only fair that a dog gets a chance at eating a humane....)

What a beautiful day here on the east coast. Why am I stuck mowing the lawn,
triming the hedge cutting down a dead tree, etc etc etc..

I could be RIDING!

HAND

--
"Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

Old June 20th 04, 07:15 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Kevan Smith writes:

Most chasing dogs just do it for play,
not to commit harm. And, as I said, a simple spray of water stops them. I have
seen it work many times.

Most of the city dogs that have chased after me, stopped when
I did. I guess I spoilt their fun, but I didn't want them getting
hit by cars. Didn't even need to squirt anything at them.
Some dogs might need a light, educational swat or poke with a
pump or something, just enough to teach them that bikes aren't
as fun or appropriate as a tennis ball or frisbee to chase after.
Don't have to bash their heads in, though; far from it.

Sometimes dogs don't even chase for play, they just desperately
need someone to talk to.

Cats generally know exactly the right amount of warning feint plus
actual force to use to get typical house pet dogs to back off.
We can learn from cats.

cheers,
Tom