Firecrackers!

Old June 21st 04, 11:58 AM
Max

Default Firecrackers!

In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

I invite
you to kick at a skunk the next time one whiffs at your shoes.
I've got one here. I've named her 'Sundown', after the Gordon
Lightfoot song. Haven't seen her for a few days, 'cuz she's
having babies.

When i was a young thailor living in orlando, i visited a pet shop in
kissmee that sold de-stunk skunk babies. They were the cutest li'l
things and i schemed for weeks on how to keep one in my barracks room.

ob.bike: most of my trasport was via bicycle back then.

..max
"how fortunate for her that i am me"

--
the part of
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p
Old June 21st 04, 12:24 PM
GABIKE

A dog chasing you is instinct, The dog has very little choice in the matter.
If the instinct is strong enough, no amount of your "correction" is going to
stop it.

Protecting myself from a dangerous dog is my instinct and I also have little
control in the matter.

The way we train dogs is to harness their instincts in more positive
directions.

Would have replied sooner but couldnt stop laughing at this statement.
WTF is that supposed to mean?

Old June 21st 04, 12:34 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Michael J. Klein writes:

I can only conclude that Kevin must have willed it to be so.

Kevan's all right. He can be loud about stuff, but it's
often counter-loudness when there isn't enough voices to
balance a discussion.

And whether one agrees with him or no, his argument-points
always boil down to having a heart.

And I'm pretty sure he's not gay. Neither am I
(if that matters.) Sometimes I might put on the dog,
just to disturb and scare off anti-bike trolls that
occasionally crop-up in this newsgroup.

If anybody really bugs you, just tell them you love them.
They'll disappear into the woodwork like gas station
washrooom cockroaches when you turn the light on. Then
it's clear sailing after that. Until the next time.
Then it's just a matter of starting over. Kind of like
weeding a garden.

Kevan'a kind of like a weed (wildflower) that ya wanna
keep because it fills a niche -- one that needs filling.

He also knows stuff about fixed-gear bikes.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.

Old June 21st 04, 02:57 PM
Badger_South

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 04:34:24 -0700, (Tom Keats) wrote:

In article ,
Michael J. Klein writes:

[...]

Well, as a result of this thread and some thinking overnight, I believe
I've come up with the perfect dog counter-measure.

It's silent, instantaneous, quick to deploy, extremely accurate, and should
easily escape detection of its use by the dog owner, and should do no
permanent harm to the offending dog. It's also effective on all dogs,
unlike the sonic devices, or heh, a squirt of water.

Other methods might be available, but IMO if the dog owner detects your use
it could leave you open to retribution or other undesireable actions.

-Badger

Old June 21st 04, 06:26 PM
Karen M.

John wrote:
You say this was in Detroit? Then you're lucky to be
alive...regardless of the firecrackers or your bicycle.

**Metro** Detroit. I have ridden in the city (when I worked for
them last year) and had no problems; folks were friendly, waving and
hollering "hi!" at me. No attmepted physical assaults and no hostile
screaming.
This was in Westland, a middle-class suburb just north of Metro
Airport. I have never had so many shouts of "sidewalk!" as here.

--Karen M.
Old June 21st 04, 06:27 PM
Karen M.

Michael J. Klein misquoted me thus:

(Karen M.) wrote in message . com...
I've been thinking about picking up some of these to deal with dogs.
Of course trying to light an explosive while dealing with traffic and
dogs doesn't sound like too good of an idea, but I doubt it's much
harder than trying to aim a can of Halt at 20mph.

I did not write the above paragraph.

--Karen M.
Old June 21st 04, 06:30 PM
Karen M.

Badger_South wrote:

OK, having read the OP's 'dangers of ammonia', I agree, it's not cool to
use concentrated ammonia on animals for any reason....

Er, OP is moi, and my thread is about FIRECRACKERS, not dogs nor ammonia.

--Karen M.,
Old June 21st 04, 06:32 PM
Karen M.

Claire wrote:

This story made me recall how someone threw a firecracker at my while I was
on my bike when I was about nine or ten years old. I was *so* frightened
from it. I rode to my friend's house which was only four more houses down
the street, and basically stepped over their threshold and burst into sobs.
Her mom was really nice to me, and helped me feel better. It's mean to throw
firecrackers at anyone, but at a kid is even worse. I had completely
forgotten that incident until reading this posting.

Karen, you don't have a friend's mom to give you hugs, probably, so I'll
give you some of my virtual ones.

You're a dear!
I wasn't scared, just mightily PO'ed at these jerks and intent on
getting them stopped before they try it again and hurt someone.

--Karen M.
eager for Independence Day to get here and be gone!