Cleaning & lubricating chain bearings

Old June 24th 04, 03:33 PM

Default Cleaning & lubricating chain bearings

Cleaning and lubricating bicycle chain:

The entrapment of gunk between the bearing surfaces is because air bubbles
prevent the solvent from reaching ALL the surfaces. Agitation will assist,
but only partially. If you use a canning jar with a plastic air nozzle in
the lid, and attach a air pump with vacuum side, inexpensive
inflator/deflator type, not lab quality. Elevate the chain from the bottom
of the jar on wire or some such solvent proof rack, apply and release the
VACUM several times. You will see the millions of tiny bubbles froth forth.
Each time the solvent is penetrating deeper. I recommend letting the gunk
settle between sessions so that you can observe the process, or you can
change the solvent each time.

Dry the chain, place back in the now empty clean jar, and reapply the
vacuum. More solvent will come out.

Dry the chain again. Clean the jar again.

Put lubricant in the jar, and repeat the process. This time the lubricant
will penetrate deep into the bearing surfaces, replacing the air which is
pumped out. When no more bubbles are produced by the vacuum, your chain is
ready for a wipe and use.

I cross posted this because the thread has been on all cycle news groups.
javaloop
Old June 24th 04, 04:59 PM
maxo

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:33:47 +0000, javaloop wrote:

Cleaning and lubricating bicycle chain:

The entrapment of gunk between the bearing surfaces

ohhhhh I wanna chain with bearings!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got stoopit
bushings

Interesting from a scientific standpoint, but seeing as I lightly clean
and lube my chain once per week (simple green, toothbrush, hose, and five
minutes tops), the thing runs silently, the average chain lasting me a
year or two, and said chain costs 10USD, why bother?

Old June 24th 04, 05:14 PM
Leo Lichtman

"maxo" wrote: ohhhhh I wanna chain with
bearings!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got stoopit bushings
A bushing *IS* a bearing, as in piston rod bearings, etc. :-)