Hour record observations

Old January 27th 05, 03:31 AM
Carl Sundquist

Default Hour record observations

Armstrong claims he is interested in both the UCI "absolute" and "best hour
performance" records.

I say that since Boardman broke Merckx's record, albeit by only about 10
meters and with wheels containing 24 less spokes, all future hour record
attempts ignore the "absolute" record and just attempt the "best". Let the
UCI suffer the ignominy of recognizing a record that no one cares about and
has been exceeded for over twenty years.

I respect Merckx and his achievement, especially his calculated hour record
power output, but fellas, it's time to move on.

Carl (if it's good enough for Curtis Gunn, it's good enough for me)
Sundquist

Old January 27th 05, 03:44 AM

UCI: Just define what the hour record is (and isn't). Then riders can
do what they have to do to prepare for it.

But of course, you should have age graded (every 5 years) records, as
well as Cat 5,4,3 records too ;-)

Old January 27th 05, 03:52 AM
Carl Sundquist

wrote in message
ups.com...
UCI: Just define what the hour record is (and isn't). Then riders can
do what they have to do to prepare for it.

IMO, they should no longer define it as they currently do. The Merckx Record
has been broken on a similar bike.

It's time to move on.

Old January 27th 05, 03:59 AM
Richard Sachs

with today's technology and pharmaceuticals,
the record should fall into the 57 minute range.
e-RICHIE

Old January 27th 05, 05:34 AM
gwhite

Carl Sundquist wrote:

Armstrong claims he is interested in both the UCI "absolute" and "best hour
performance" records.

I say that since Boardman broke Merckx's record, albeit by only about 10
meters and with wheels containing 24 less spokes, all future hour record
attempts ignore the "absolute" record and just attempt the "best". Let the
UCI suffer the ignominy of recognizing a record that no one cares about and
has been exceeded for over twenty years.

I respect Merckx and his achievement, especially his calculated hour record
power output, but fellas, it's time to move on.

I agree. I thought that was really goofy ruling after Indurain, Rominger,
Obree, and Boardman were already way out at 55-56 km. It was some twisted logic
that rolled back the clock for the clocked event. Don't roll back the chrono
for the chrono. Let the chrono move forward and make the 2nd Law happy.
Old January 27th 05, 05:40 AM
gwhite

Richard Sachs wrote:

with today's technology and pharmaceuticals,
the record should fall into the 57 minute range.

LOL. A 57 minute hour. I've taken that sort of dope but it never helped my
riding.

Just say yes:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/1585422274
http://www.lfb.com/index.php?deptid=...temsperpage=24
Old January 27th 05, 08:19 AM
Donald Munro

gwhite wrote:
LOL. A 57 minute hour. I've taken that sort of dope but it never helped my
riding.

You've taken up downhill mountain biking ?

Old January 27th 05, 11:18 AM
Robert Chung

Carl Sundquist wrote:
I say that since Boardman broke Merckx's record, albeit by only about 10
meters and with wheels containing 24 less spokes,

Though at sea level.

I respect Merckx and his achievement, especially his calculated hour
record power output

Which calculated record power output is that?

Old January 27th 05, 03:10 PM
gym gravity

Carl Sundquist wrote:

I respect Merckx and his achievement, especially his calculated hour record
power output, but fellas, it's time to move on.

No, he has to stay sharp. Because he knows that the Tour will have a
cannibal time trial and a singlespeed mountain stage in 2006.
Old January 27th 05, 03:28 PM
Carl Sundquist

"Robert Chung" wrote in message
Carl Sundquist wrote:
I say that since Boardman broke Merckx's record, albeit by only about 10
meters and with wheels containing 24 less spokes,

Though at sea level.

As was discussed when MagillaGorilla spewed forth his nonsense, Boardman was
pretty through in his preparation and had financial support, though
obviously not as much as Armstrong would. He could have chosen to make his
attempts at altitude if he had wanted to. Breaking the record by a ten meter
margin didn't leave a whole lot of room for error. Why not make the attempt
at altitude if it's a surer thing? Was Boardman that politically tied to
making his attempts in Manchester?

I respect Merckx and his achievement, especially his calculated hour
record power output

Which calculated record power output is that?

The one you made a graph for on the cadence/TT thread.