Campy Record Profit Pedal Fiasco - Advice Sought on Unintended Consequences - Peter???

Old September 17th 05, 04:36 PM
me

Default Campy Record Profit Pedal Fiasco - Advice Sought on Unintended Consequences - Peter???

So, the FSA Isis cranks on my bike were creaking like crazy. Removed,
cleaned, greased all and retorqued cups and cranks but STILL creaks. So I
figured I would do the same on pedals just in case. Park wrench slips and
jams into the bushing next to the flats on the left Campy Record ProFit
pedal. This somehow jams up the bearing, so the pedal is now difficult to
turn and rough even though there is no obvious problem externally.

I figured I would just pull it apart and fix whatever I tweaked, but.....

It appears that loosening the axle bushing should release the axle and
bearings as a single cartridge, but in fact it won't easily pull out as it
appears to see tension from the clip mechanism somehow. Is there some trick
to removing these? Once out, can it be safely disassembled? Campy lists
only the complete axle/cartridge as a spare in very non-Campy like fashion.

Clues or advice appreciated. If the answer is only "send it to Peter" that
is OK too.

Jeffrey

Note: These pedals are a few years old but work perfectly. Bearings are
(were..) free and smooth. Cleat wear is about 3-4 times better than Look,
and they NEVER pull out. Anyone weary of creaky Look cleats should give
them a shot.

Old September 18th 05, 01:26 PM
richard

1. Good chance the creaking was coming from your saddle rails, either at
the seat post or where they attach to the saddle.

2. Sounds like you knocked the mechanism askew as the cartridge assembly
should pull out easily once unscrewed (also easily).

Old September 18th 05, 08:15 PM
me

Creaks are always mysterious. I finally correctly diagnosed this one as a
SLIGHTLY loose rear wheel skewer in the middle of today's ride. It sure
SOUNDED like a BB or ISIS crank creak. But it wasn't.

Given that it does not "pull out easily", any suggestions as how to extract
it beyond good old fashion brute force?

Jeffrey

Old September 23rd 05, 11:30 PM
richard

Shop job? Hopefully, threads are recoverable. Otherwise, either the
body or the spindle are shot...

Old September 24th 05, 01:58 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

me wrote:
So, the FSA Isis cranks on my bike were creaking like crazy. Removed,
cleaned, greased all and retorqued cups and cranks but STILL creaks. So I
figured I would do the same on pedals just in case. Park wrench slips and
jams into the bushing next to the flats on the left Campy Record ProFit
pedal. This somehow jams up the bearing, so the pedal is now difficult to
turn and rough even though there is no obvious problem externally.

I figured I would just pull it apart and fix whatever I tweaked, but.....

It appears that loosening the axle bushing should release the axle and
bearings as a single cartridge, but in fact it won't easily pull out as it
appears to see tension from the clip mechanism somehow. Is there some trick
to removing these?

Once complettely unscrewed, just tap a wee bit and axle assembly will
come out. Axle 'assembly'is the only part available for ProFits

Old September 25th 05, 11:10 PM
me

Thanks for the advice. I've just been riding Chorus pedals off another bike
and I haven't had time for a good dissection.

I am afraid of the answer, but how much $pain$ will I feel if I have to
order a new Record cartridge assembly?

Jeffrey

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Laff at me Steve Racing 10 October 14th 05 03:02 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Campy Profit Plus pedal overhaul richard Techniques 6 August 21st 04 01:18 AM
What?? No '04 Record Carbon FD in 28.6mm?? Peter at Vecchio's (the Campy man)--you got an idea?? Eurastus Techniques 6 June 21st 04 08:43 PM