sugarloaf gradient

Old September 9th 04, 10:48 AM
lupson

Default sugarloaf gradient

has anyone ever ridden in clermont florida? im trying to find out th
gradient of suarloaf mountai

--
lupson

Old September 9th 04, 05:26 PM
Gonzo Bob

lupson Wrote:
has anyone ever ridden in clermont florida? im trying to find out th
gradient of suarloaf mountain

I've ridden it a few times in the triathlons that I've participated i
there (Florida Challenge and Great Floridian). I'm not sure what th
grade is but I required a 39/25 (700C wheels) to get up it withou
straining. If I had to guess, I'd say the bottom half is probabl
10-11% and the top half is around 8%

--
Gonzo Bob

Old September 9th 04, 05:29 PM
Steve Blankenship

"lupson" wrote in message

has anyone ever ridden in clermont florida? im trying to find out the
gradient of suarloaf mountain

Never been there, but living in east Tennessee I couldn't resist looking for
what passes for a mountain in FL... ;-)

A quick look at it on TopoUSA says the west side's 7% avg, east and south
are 6% avg. Very short max bits on the west at 12%, east at 15%. Topo's
not the most accurate source in the world, as slight errors in the road
overlay can result in big errors on gradient, but with dead-straight roads
like those it's less likely to be off by much. The hill gains about 200ft
in .52mi. from the west.

SB

Old September 9th 04, 06:54 PM

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:29:24 -0400, "Steve Blankenship"
wrote:

"lupson" wrote in message

has anyone ever ridden in clermont florida? im trying to find out the
gradient of suarloaf mountain

Never been there, but living in east Tennessee I couldn't resist looking for
what passes for a mountain in FL... ;-)

A quick look at it on TopoUSA says the west side's 7% avg, east and south
are 6% avg. Very short max bits on the west at 12%, east at 15%. Topo's
not the most accurate source in the world, as slight errors in the road
overlay can result in big errors on gradient, but with dead-straight roads
like those it's less likely to be off by much. The hill gains about 200ft
in .52mi. from the west.

SB

Dear Steve,

Here's the terraserver topo view of the west side:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...=3948&z=17&w=2

The towering 307 foot peak is to the east. You can zoom in
to absurd detail.

This being Florida, the contour lines are at 5-foot
intervals.

The steep part, for example, from south of the clay pit to
the west to the 250 foot subsideriary peak, shows the road
rising steeply around the corner from 125 feet to 250 feet
in 500 yards, which is 125 feet in 1500 feet, or an 8.3%
grade.

The steep part up to the 305-foot summit starts at 205 feet
and levels out sharply at 275 feet, a 75-foot gain in about
200 yards, or 75 feet in 600 feet, a 12.5% grade.

To the east, it looks like a 85-foot straight drop in 450
yards from 240 feet down to the Coast Line tracks at 155
feet, 85 feet in 1350 feet, or 6.3% grade.

For comparison, here's the S-bend down the gully 40 seconds
from my driveway on the bluff above the Arkansas River in
Pueblo, Colorado:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...10588&z=13&w=1

It's the modest curve above and to the right of the 4750. It
reaches 9% for a few feet in the first curve in its 50-foot
plunge to the flat runout at 4700 feet to the river.

Somehow, I doubt that Alpine gearing or great descending
skills are necessary.

Carl Fogel

TDF - how does it work? bigbrian UK 12 July 15th 03 06:22 PM
Gradient Horror (Newbie) Bill Davidson General 1 July 12th 03 03:24 AM