Front cracking noise

Old February 12th 19, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Front cracking noise

On 2/12/2019 6:43 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

For a few days, I have noticed a new cracking noise that seems to come
from the front of my bicycle. It only starts when I am riding at more
than 25 km/h, and it does not depend on:

* ground natu it is the same no matter how bumpy or smooth the
ground is;
* pedaling or not;
* using the handlebar.

I have already experienced cracking sounds from the handlebar in the
past, and it sounds a bit similar, but in this case, it does not come
from that, as it continues even if I release the handlebar and ride
without hands.

It does not seem to come from the frame, as riding out of the saddle
does not trigger it or increase it, in fact at low speed, it does
not sound at all, even pedaling hard out of the saddle and therefore
exposing the frame to a lot of constraint.

The fact that it is related to speed makes me wonder if it could not
come from the front hub ball bearings, what do you think? This is a
Shimano hub dynamo, do you know if its balls can be replaced?

Bicycly yours,

Not reasonably and even opening the bearing seal to
clean/lubricate is tedious- take great care with that lead
wire. I would be more concerned about your fork. A close
fork examination and/or riding with a different front wheel
is a prudent thing.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 12th 19, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi writes:

[...]

If you decide to open the hub, lay in some solder and flux for aluminum
wire beforehand. Unless you're more skilled than I you'll break the
lead wire and have to solder a copper pigtail to it. Why Shimano didn't
do this themselves I'll never know -- they have a patent on it.

Old February 12th 19, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 9:37:43 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Come to think of it that was the sound that my friend's Mavic rim was making. After we got back I suggested he shake his spokes and the entire area around the spoke broke off the Kyserium.