Grocery Bike

Old February 1st 19, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Grocery Bike

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 22:19:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 6:29:26 PM UTC-6, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:30:08 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 10:43:03 AM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/29/2019 11:42 PM, wrote:
I am fortunate to have a grocery store only 3/4 mile from my house. So I walk for groceries.

When I was working at my first engineering job, I owned a car, a
motorcycle and a bicycle. But I walked the mile to work, unless I woke
up late.

Now I ride my three speed even to drop mail at the post office 0.2 miles
away. For me, it's just more fun to ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not arguing its fun to ride. I enjoy riding. But for simplicity, its easy to walk 3/4 mile to the store. Just grab my plastic bags and walk out the door. No clothing or shoe change needed. Coming home is a little harder if I buy heavy stuff. My arms get stretched from the weight of the bags. My walk is pretty pleasant when its not winter. Flat. Sidewalk the whole way. Shade from trees for half the distance. And its good exercise. More exercise than riding the same distance. But its not hard exercise that will improve cardio vascular or strength or anything. Its exercise that gets me off my butt and helps circulation and moves the joints. And I get to breathe fresh air.

The normal marching rate is, and has been since the days of the Roman
Empire, about 3 miles per hour. So a 0.2 mile distance could be walked
in about 4 minutes and a 3/4 mile in 15 minutes. It seems hardly worth
opening the garage door :-)

Cheers,
John B.

Are you sure? 3 miles per hour, 20 minutes per 1 mile, is very slow.

I easily walk at a pleasant pace to the store 3/4 mile away in at most
10 minutes. Or a bit less. Even carrying heavy bags of groceries
home, I still only take about 10 minutes to walk 3/4 mile. That is
about 4.5 mph. 50% faster than your official marching rate. I can't
imagine any army ever getting anywhere if they only marched 3 miles
per hour. It would take them all day to even have a small parade for
the top brass.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_march

Granted these are for soldiers carrying a pack, but you did mention
heavy groceries and you'll note I did say "about 3 miles per hour" :-)

Perhaps you are walking faster for short distance. The Roman standard
was 20 Roman miles (~18.4 modern miles) in 5 hours. The modern British
standard is something like 12.43 miles in three and a half hours.

The Royal Marines recently broke a 19 year old marching record with a
new record of 26.2 miles in 4 hours, 16 minutes and 43 seconds.
Roughly 6 miles an hour.

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 1st 19, 12:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:
On 1/29/2019 11:42 PM, wrote:
[...]

Shrug, walking to the shops, a trained group marching for one day, etc
are all irrelevant to actually marching day after day after day. It is
another horses for courses consideration. People, horses, bicyles, armies
all start to fall apart if you use an ionappropriate measure.

Old February 1st 19, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 6:45:52 PM UTC-8, bob prohaska wrote:
wrote:

The problem is - do you continue to use a bike for shopping after the immediate idea that driving there is dumb? Some of you probably have some experience with this - what is your take?

I've been using bikes for in-town shopping for the past ten years. I'm in
Davis, CA, just west of Sacramento, so the weather's mild and the land flat.
There's no obvious reason to stop, so long as I'm physically able.

For small stuff the folding rear baskets that hold grocery bags are
most convenient. When pushed far enough aft to clear my heels the bike
gets squirrely if the bags are too heavy, but that's a rare problem.
When not used the baskets fold out of the way, always at the ready.

For bigger, heavier stuff (20-pound propane cylinders) a bike trailer is
immensely useful. I happen to have a CycleTote, you're far more apt to
find a kid carrier like a Burley. The CycleTote is capable of carrying
more than I can comfortably pull, a Burley will fold for more compact
storage. I'd rate trailers as the most useful accessory for a bike. They
outperform all other luggage carriers, at the price of requiring a little
setup and storage.

HTH,

bob prohaska

Thanks Bob. That's the sort of information I was looking for. I forgot that you can get those folding wire racks.
Old February 1st 19, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

FWIW, I've confirmed many times that my wife and I walk at an average of
about 3 mph. It disappoints me, but I can't deny it.

I used to walk faster, I'm sure. I certainly remember people telling me
I was a fast walker. But as with most bicyclists, the older I get, the
faster I was.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 1st 19, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 1/29/2019 11:42 PM, wrote:
[...]

4.5 mph is beyond the point where most people would have to break into a
jog. Typical walking speeds are between 3 and 4 mph. 3 mph when
heavily loaded, and with occasional breaks, sounds reasonable to me.

Old February 1st 19, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

"
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 10:43:03 AM UTC-6,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/29/2019 11:42 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Apples & oranges.

We have a couple thousand years worth of richly detailed[1]
military infantry speeds which haven't changed (except in
non-combat speed records etc). The walking you engage(d)
isn't with full gear for twenty miles and as such, yes,
ought to be faster.

[1]Sun Tzu says if you maneuver with forced march, your best
soldiers will be lost as they arrive first, fatigued and
without support.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 1st 19, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 10:43:03 AM UTC-6,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/29/2019 11:42 PM,
wrote:
I am fortunate to have a grocery store only 3/4 mile
from my house.Â* So I walk for groceries.

When I was working at my first engineering job, I owned
a car, a
motorcycle and a bicycle. But I walked the mile to
work, unless I woke
up late.

Now I ride my three speed even to drop mail at the post
office 0.2 miles
away. For me, it's just more fun to ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not arguing its fun to ride.Â* I enjoy riding.Â* But
for simplicity, its easy to walk 3/4 mile to the store.
Just grab my plastic bags and walk out the door.Â* No
clothing or shoe change needed.Â* Coming home is a little
harder if I buy heavy stuff.Â* My arms get stretched from
the weight of the bags.Â* My walk is pretty pleasant when
its not winter.Â* Flat.Â* Sidewalk the whole way.Â* Shade
from trees for half the distance.Â* And its good
exercise.Â* More exercise than riding the same distance.
But its not hard exercise that will improve cardio
vascular or strength or anything.Â* Its exercise that
gets me off my butt and helps circulation and moves the
joints.Â* And I get to breathe fresh air.

The normal marching rate is, and has been since the days
of the Roman
Empire, about 3 miles per hour. So a 0.2 mile distance
could be walked
in about 4 minutes and a 3/4 mile in 15 minutes. It seems
hardly worth
opening the garage door :-)

Cheers,
John B.

Are you sure?Â* 3 miles per hour, 20 minutes per 1 mile, is
very slow.Â* I easily walk at a pleasant pace to the store
3/4 mile away in at most 10 minutes.Â* Or a bit less.Â* Even
carrying heavy bags of groceries home, I still only take
about 10 minutes to walk 3/4 mile.Â* That is about 4.5 mph.

FWIW, I've confirmed many times that my wife and I walk at
an average of about 3 mph. It disappoints me, but I can't
deny it.

I used to walk faster, I'm sure. I certainly remember people
telling me I was a fast walker. But as with most bicyclists,
the older I get, the faster I was.

Apples & oranges.

We have a couple thousand years worth of richly detailed[1] military
infantry speeds which haven't changed (except in non-combat speed
records etc).

I'll freely admit, I probably can't walk as fast as a 20-something guy
who's fit enough to make it through boot camp.

The walking you engage(d) isn't with full gear for twenty
miles and as such, yes, ought to be faster.

Yep. And I ought to be able to do more double centuries, I ought to be
able to sprint at over 30 mph, I ought to be able to do fun recreational
rides at temperatures in the Fahrenheit teens. I ought to be able to
impress my friends with my time trialing.

But those days are sadly gone. And we now walk at about 3 mph. I'm
willing to accept it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 1st 19, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 10:43:03 AM UTC-6,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/29/2019 11:42 PM,
wrote:
[...]

You might consider ceramic bearings on that walker. If it saves just
one Watt ...

Old February 1st 19, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Frank, while I would like to figure out some way to make fun of you again, I should tell you that I am 6'4" and my legs are 35" long and I have size 11.5 shoes.

I dropped my car off to be repaired a mile and a half from my home. I then walked back and then walked another mile and a half up to what used to be a store like a goodwill. They used to have an entire shelf of cups and I broke the last 14 ounce cup I had for coffee and the only cups I have left are from the places I worked and for reasons unknown to me they are dark colors inside the cup though while with the company names on the outside. When I get up in the morning it is dark and the first thing I do is make coffee. When you pour coffee in the dark into a dark cup you never know how much you're pouring so I have to keep running back and forth.

Anyway, the place has closed down since I last went there. But my total mileage was probably 6 miles and I was walking much faster than I marched in the service. That 6 miles or so took an hour and a half and left me exhausted.

Which is when I started thinking of the errand bike.

So I don't think you're walking particularly slow with your wife.
Old February 1st 19, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 10:43:03 AM UTC-6,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/29/2019 11:42 PM,
wrote:
[...]

While that's good for a laugh, I replaced the idler pulleys on the rear derailleur much to the laughter of the group here. What it did was to improve the shifting and make the chain quieter. If you watch it in the work stand you can see that it is turning so easily it is surely going to have a lot less wear. So there are other reasons than the pretense that the change in rolling resistance is going to make any difference.

Sure, I'm certain that it would make no difference in the bottom bracket or wheel bearings because they don't spin at a high enough speed to make any difference. But in the shifting components they do make a difference.

grocery panniers? Nate Nagel[_2_] Techniques 69 January 22nd 10 05:18 AM
grocery panniers? thirty-six Techniques 0 January 19th 10 07:03 PM
Grocery getter OzCableguy Australia 7 March 2nd 06 11:43 AM
Grocery getter craigster_jd Australia 1 February 28th 06 01:13 PM
Grocery capacity Earl Bollinger General 24 January 10th 06 09:29 AM