A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Disk brakes might be useful



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old February 6th 19, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,943
Default Disk brakes might be useful

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 7:49:50 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 2:09:28 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

Snipped
What causes you to eventually discard rims? Do they just last forever?
Truly we must live in different worlds.

I just don't get how some people have such drastic problems with rims
wearing out.

Not sure what you mean by "drastic". Rims are a wear item.

--


If I get rid of a rim it's usually because it's been bent.

What I mean by "drastic" is people like Joerg who have to replace a
rim because it was worn through by rim brakes withing 1000
miles. Based on MY experience riding on dirt roads, touring with 40
pounds of gear on logging roads for 2 weeks at a time, and riding in
the rain and riding through the winter 1000 miles seems quite a low
number of miles for a pair of rims. I wonder if Joerg rides the
brakes?


I agree that 1000 miles seems a very short life for a rim. But I didn't
say that, and Joerg didn't bring it up, why did you?

--


I brought up 1000 miles = worn out rims? No, Joerg brought it up when he stated in a post:

"Joerg
1:06 PM (7 hours ago)
On 2019-02-05 09:51, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 11:24:20 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:

Snipped

"Well, the rims on my 1st MTB were nearly shot after the first 1000mi of
foul weather riding. Most of the time I reached on on soggy winter trail
rides there was this goose bump eliciting sandpaper noise."

Needless to say, the next MTB had disc brakes and none of this is
happening now. Why should people put up with inferior components if
there are better ones that even reduce cost per mile over the years?

If disc brakes are your thing that's fine, but like so many things disc brakes are NOT needed by everyone who does heavy use riding in the rain, on dirt roads or even off roads.

Cheers
Ads
  #22  
Old February 6th 19, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,736
Default Disk brakes might be useful

On 2/5/2019 8:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:


[raised eyebrow] 1000 miles? every year? yikes!

I also consider rims a consumable, but due to heart-shape format or too
many eyelets pulled through. I've never worn out a rim's brake surface.


I'm glad you said that. I was feeling inadequate because I don't think
I've ever worn out a rim's brake surface.

I've replaced rims mostly when potholes have damaged them so badly that
I can't jack the dents back out (and I've jacked out several bad dents).
Also when switching from 27" to 700c.

Is there a rule of thumb for how thin I can let a braking surface get?
I'm talking about ancient rims that have no indicator groove.

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #23  
Old February 6th 19, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,239
Default Disk brakes might be useful

On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 14:09:26 -0500, Radey Shouman
wrote:

What causes you to eventually discard rims? Do they just last forever?


I don't recall ever discarding a rim.

But I haven't ridden the brakes since the time, at least thirty years
ago, that I got caught in a pace line of automobiles.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/


  #24  
Old February 6th 19, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,943
Default Disk brakes might be useful

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 10:34:24 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/5/2019 8:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:


[raised eyebrow] 1000 miles? every year? yikes!

I also consider rims a consumable, but due to heart-shape format or too
many eyelets pulled through. I've never worn out a rim's brake surface.


I'm glad you said that. I was feeling inadequate because I don't think
I've ever worn out a rim's brake surface.

I've replaced rims mostly when potholes have damaged them so badly that
I can't jack the dents back out (and I've jacked out several bad dents).
Also when switching from 27" to 700c.

Is there a rule of thumb for how thin I can let a braking surface get?
I'm talking about ancient rims that have no indicator groove.

--
- Frank Krygowski


I saw one rim at a bicycle co-op that had failed. The guy who owned it said that he felt the brake pad rubbing for quite a bit before the rim brake track folded outward. My guess is that you'd know a failure was imminent IF you pay attention to odd things on your bicycle. His wheels had those wear indicator grooves in them. I wonder if those grooves are stress risers when a rim starts to get worn a bit?

Cheers
  #25  
Old February 6th 19, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,133
Default Disk brakes might be useful

Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 7:49:50 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 2:09:28 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

Snipped
What causes you to eventually discard rims? Do they just last forever?
Truly we must live in different worlds.

I just don't get how some people have such drastic problems with rims
wearing out.

Not sure what you mean by "drastic". Rims are a wear item.

--

If I get rid of a rim it's usually because it's been bent.

What I mean by "drastic" is people like Joerg who have to replace a
rim because it was worn through by rim brakes withing 1000
miles. Based on MY experience riding on dirt roads, touring with 40
pounds of gear on logging roads for 2 weeks at a time, and riding in
the rain and riding through the winter 1000 miles seems quite a low
number of miles for a pair of rims. I wonder if Joerg rides the
brakes?


I agree that 1000 miles seems a very short life for a rim. But I didn't
say that, and Joerg didn't bring it up, why did you?

--


I brought up 1000 miles = worn out rims? No, Joerg brought it up when he stated in a post:


I suggest you might have followed up his post, then.

"Joerg
1:06 PM (7 hours ago)
On 2019-02-05 09:51, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 11:24:20 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:

Snipped

"Well, the rims on my 1st MTB were nearly shot after the first 1000mi of
foul weather riding. Most of the time I reached on on soggy winter trail
rides there was this goose bump eliciting sandpaper noise."

Needless to say, the next MTB had disc brakes and none of this is
happening now. Why should people put up with inferior components if
there are better ones that even reduce cost per mile over the years?

If disc brakes are your thing that's fine, but like so many things
disc brakes are NOT needed by everyone who does heavy use riding in
the rain, on dirt roads or even off roads.

Cheers


--
  #26  
Old February 6th 19, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 153
Default Disk brakes might be useful

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 16:59:50 -0800, "Mark J."
wrote:

On 2/5/2019 3:27 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 10:06:40 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

On 2019-02-05 09:51, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 11:24:20 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-05 07:21, Radey Shouman wrote:

[...]


When I got home I looked at the rims. They were coated in white
frosty stuff that looked a lot like snow, but stuck much more
resolutely. Not normally much for washing bicycles, I spent a
few minutes cleaning off the frost and salt.

To be clear, the brakes are not modern equipment, but Weinmann
Vainqueur centerpulls, albeit with Kool Stop cartridge pads. I
do find them more than adequate ordinarily.

If I ever buy a new bicycle, I believe I'll favor those
fashionable disk brakes.


Try them out on a friend bike or a rental. You'll never look back.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

CRIKEY! What am I doing WRONG? I ride all year round and I don't have
problems with my rim brakes stopping any of my bicycles. That is even
true for my ancient long out of production Shimano Adamas AX brakes
and my Shimano Dura Ace AX brakes. Grant the Dura Ace AX bicycle is
kept for nicer weather but I have got caught out in the rain with it
and never had a problem. Not have i ever worn out a rim because of
brake wear. I ride thousands of miles every year too.

I just don't get how some people have such drastic problems with rims
wearing out.


Well, the rims on my 1st MTB were nearly shot after the first 1000mi of
foul weather riding. Most of the time I reached on on soggy winter trail
rides there was this goose bump eliciting sandpaper noise.

Needless to say, the next MTB had disc brakes and none of this is
happening now. Why should people put up with inferior components if
there are better ones that even reduce cost per mile over the years?



That is because you use those cheap and dirty aluminum rims. Switch to
proper chrome plated steel rims and they will last practically for
ever :-)


That's 'cause after a short while, the rider gives up entirely on
braking in the wet.

Mark J.


If you had a bicycle with a proper
coaster brake there wouldn;t be all these problems :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
  #27  
Old February 6th 19, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 153
Default Disk brakes might be useful

On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 19:49:47 -0500, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 2:09:28 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

Snipped
What causes you to eventually discard rims? Do they just last forever?
Truly we must live in different worlds.

I just don't get how some people have such drastic problems with rims
wearing out.

Not sure what you mean by "drastic". Rims are a wear item.

--


If I get rid of a rim it's usually because it's been bent.

What I mean by "drastic" is people like Joerg who have to replace a
rim because it was worn through by rim brakes withing 1000
miles. Based on MY experience riding on dirt roads, touring with 40
pounds of gear on logging roads for 2 weeks at a time, and riding in
the rain and riding through the winter 1000 miles seems quite a low
number of miles for a pair of rims. I wonder if Joerg rides the
brakes?


I agree that 1000 miles seems a very short life for a rim. But I didn't
say that, and Joerg didn't bring it up, why did you?


Actually Joerg said
"Well, the rims on my 1st MTB were nearly shot after the first 1000mi
of"
--

Cheers,

John B.
  #28  
Old February 6th 19, 07:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,236
Default Disk brakes might be useful

On 2/6/19 4:34 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/5/2019 8:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:


[raised eyebrow] 1000 miles? every year? yikes!

I also consider rims a consumable, but due to heart-shape format or
too many eyelets pulled through. I've never worn out a rim's brake
surface.


I'm glad you said that. I was feeling inadequate because I don't think
I've ever worn out a rim's brake surface.

I've replaced rims mostly when potholes have damaged them so badly that
I can't jack the dents back out (and I've jacked out several bad dents).
Also when switching from 27" to 700c.

Is there a rule of thumb for how thin I can let a braking surface get?
I'm talking about ancient rims that have no indicator groove.


Ime, when you can deform the braking surface by squeezing it between
finger and thumb. Not long after that you'll get a longitudinal split
develop. But it's irrelevant anyway as they don't wear out.


  #29  
Old February 6th 19, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,236
Default Disk brakes might be useful

On 2/5/19 8:53 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-05 10:43, Tosspot wrote:


snip

For me, Shimano mineral oil disc brakes have been maintenance free
for years now.



Does this mean no bleeding either? I have to "burp" mine about once a
year or about every 2000mi but it's a mountain bike where I am in
the brakes all the time.


Nope. They just sit there and work. The second year I checked the oil
level, and didn't bother after that. It's not like it evaporates or is
hygroscopic. I'll probably have another look over the summer mind.

Mine use DOT-4 fluid so it's a bit of a messy job.
Open reservoir, squeeze lever over and over again until no more
bubbles show and the pressure point becomes hard, top off, close,
wipe clean. That takes only a few minutes but DOT-4 can be nasty on
clothes. So maybe my next set of brakes should be Shimano.


... Was looking at the front disc over the weekend and it might be
due for replacement after some 8,000 miles. Given it's a
centerlock, that's going to be a 2 minute job!


With the six screws it's five minutes because there is usually a set
of fresh ones with Loctite already applied. Torqueing as usual via
the digital suitcase scale.


It isn't a big job at all, but relacing a wheel to a new rim is! If of
course rims wore out, which they don't.

  #30  
Old February 6th 19, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,236
Default Disk brakes might be useful

On 2/6/19 12:27 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 10:06:40 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

On 2019-02-05 09:51, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 11:24:20 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-05 07:21, Radey Shouman wrote:


[...]


When I got home I looked at the rims. They were coated in white
frosty stuff that looked a lot like snow, but stuck much more
resolutely. Not normally much for washing bicycles, I spent a
few minutes cleaning off the frost and salt.

To be clear, the brakes are not modern equipment, but Weinmann
Vainqueur centerpulls, albeit with Kool Stop cartridge pads. I
do find them more than adequate ordinarily.

If I ever buy a new bicycle, I believe I'll favor those
fashionable disk brakes.


Try them out on a friend bike or a rental. You'll never look back.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

CRIKEY! What am I doing WRONG? I ride all year round and I don't have
problems with my rim brakes stopping any of my bicycles. That is even
true for my ancient long out of production Shimano Adamas AX brakes
and my Shimano Dura Ace AX brakes. Grant the Dura Ace AX bicycle is
kept for nicer weather but I have got caught out in the rain with it
and never had a problem. Not have i ever worn out a rim because of
brake wear. I ride thousands of miles every year too.

I just don't get how some people have such drastic problems with rims
wearing out.


Well, the rims on my 1st MTB were nearly shot after the first 1000mi of
foul weather riding. Most of the time I reached on on soggy winter trail
rides there was this goose bump eliciting sandpaper noise.

Needless to say, the next MTB had disc brakes and none of this is
happening now. Why should people put up with inferior components if
there are better ones that even reduce cost per mile over the years?



That is because you use those cheap and dirty aluminum rims. Switch to
proper chrome plated steel rims and they will last practically for
ever :-)


There you go, aluminum rims, another example of churning pushed on us by
the bicycle industry, an inferior product that doesn't solve any
problems at all at even more expense to the beleaguered cyclist.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disk vs. V-Brakes mike[_3_] Mountain Biking 5 May 11th 07 12:49 PM
Disk vs. V-Brakes mike[_3_] Techniques 19 May 9th 07 03:46 AM
Disk brakes? Sticky Wicket Techniques 112 February 8th 07 05:27 PM
Disk brakes? Hot! ain Mountain Biking 20 May 5th 04 12:57 PM
Disk Brakes john Mountain Biking 4 January 22nd 04 02:44 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.