December cycling in New York

Old January 25th 21, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default December cycling in New York

On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 8:17:32 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/23/2021 8:13 AM, Ade wrote:
On 21/12/2020 19:59, AMuzi wrote:

In my experience riding down to about zero F can be no big
deal and quite comfortable given reasonable (not extreme
or expensive) clothing. Ice on streets is indeed a real
problem. Below zero, and worse in a wind, some care need
be taken with clothing but it's not impossible. OTOH it's
often not comfortable, but it is possible.
zero F ?

It's 2 C here and I'm thinking deeply about which gloves.

It's plus two F here. A nice chunk of sheep turned inside
out works pretty well.
https://ussheepskin.com/product/yuko...pskin-mittens/

It's 40F here but feels like 35. Since I have Di2, I can't wear mittens.
Old January 25th 21, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 1/23/2021 8:13 AM, Ade wrote:
On 21/12/2020 19:59, AMuzi wrote:

In my experience riding down to about zero F can be no big
deal and quite comfortable given reasonable (not extreme
or expensive) clothing. Ice on streets is indeed a real
problem. Below zero, and worse in a wind, some care need
be taken with clothing but it's not impossible. OTOH it's
often not comfortable, but it is possible.
zero F ?

It's 2 C here and I'm thinking deeply about which gloves.

It's plus two F here. A nice chunk of sheep turned inside
out works pretty well.
https://ussheepskin.com/product/yuko...pskin-mittens/

It's 40F here but feels like 35. Since I have Di2, I can't wear mittens.

At 40F, gloves should be fine. I did 40 miles in pouring rain between 35-40F yesterday with gloves and STI. Worked great. If your gloves are too cold, work harder. That was the running joke with my friends yesterday. If you are cold, work harder!

Saturday was colder because I was skiing. Total bluebird day at Mt. Hood Meadows and in Portland, and then rain the next day. At least it means some new snow on the mountain. We sat around after skiing and drank beer outside the lodge. It was almost normal, except for having to stay outside and the ungodly amount of COVID traffic on the mountain. All of the snow parks are choked with people looking for an outlet.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 25th 21, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 1/23/2021 8:13 AM, Ade wrote:
[...]

No matter how hard I ride, my hands NEVER get warmer than going any other speed. My legs get warmer and occasionally my chest gets warmer, but my feet and my hands never get warmer. And I have to wear a watch cap to keep my ears from getting frost bite.
Old January 31st 21, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 1/23/2021 8:13 AM, Ade wrote:
[...]

I saw an ad on the side of he screen that was advertising warm gloves for skiing or cycling. They were cheap so there was little to lose. I bought a pair. Well, they are great. I hands stayed warm in 45 degree in the wind and yet they are thin enough to feel the Di2 levers. And the leather finger bottoms allow me to change screens on the Garmin. Too bad I can't figure out how to get those screens to make sense. You would think that when you updated the software for the 800 series that they would all work like the latest version unless there were some hardware differences. Instead I get a screen that is showing me what my heart rate is despite the fact that there isn't any heart rate pickup. This is forcing me to use the 820 instead of the 810 all the time and since I misplaced the mount for the 705 and it was the one with a million buttons on it I'm not using it. he 820 has the aluminum replacement mount so I have to keep an eye on it because it has fallen off several times. Also, I believe that the 810 is measuring the rotational velocity of the Earth. 0.1 or 0.2 mph while I am stopped. The 820 doesn't do that. And the 810 didn't do that until I updated the software.

In any case if you see that add for ski/cycling gloves they really do work well.