spring is definitely here!

Old February 15th 06, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default spring is definitely here!

spring is definitely here.
cycled home after work today without lights.
peter

Old February 15th 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Peter" wrote in message
spring is definitely here.
cycled home after work today without lights.
peter

It certainly is! I done a 12 mile training ride without gloves on in
glorious sunshine today.

John :.)

Old February 15th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Peter" wrote in message
spring is definitely here.
cycled home after work today without lights.
peter

Sure is. Dropped the car off for it annual 500 quid service + MOT. Then
walked 3 miles home past the LBS where I dropped off my duff Bontrager back
wheel for cone adjustment. Popped in to find it fixed, so carried it home
and put in on the Trek.

Music on the walk was very spring-like from a "new" album from 1971 of an
impossibly rare Dutch group from Utrecht called Unit Gloria.

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/spring.wma

They were still doing psych stuff in Holland in '71, so this track, "Sense
of
Spring", sounds like it's stuck in 1967! There's one of those old flywheel
powered toy cars at the start of the track I think.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old February 15th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Peter wrote:

spring is definitely here.
cycled home after work today without lights.
peter

Definitely.
Went over to my favoured LBS this morning (25m away by train) to collect
my son's new bike - a stealth black 'urban' Marin.
I'd ordered it on Friday and they called on Monday to say it was ready
:-)
This afternoon was spent in the garden fixing bottle cages, bar ends and
adjusting size.

His face was a joy to behold when he ecame home and walked into the
sitting room (err, bike shed). Its his first brand new bike, all the
others having cascaded down the family so today was 'special'.
We were soon out riding the local roads - no gloves, no scarves, no big
thick fleecy jackets.

It has been truly a lovely day and full of smiles.

John B

Old February 19th 06, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

John B whizzed past me shouting

We were soon out riding the local roads - no gloves, no scarves, no big
thick fleecy jackets.

This morning we saw and heard a skylark - I didn't know they sang in
February.
This afternoon it came on to rain and we got totally soaked.

--
Sue ]|(

Bicycle helmets are really a bit of a scam.
They make most cyclists slightly less safe but there's money in selling them.

Old February 19th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Peter wrote:
spring is definitely here.
cycled home after work today without lights.
peter

And yet, sadly, it's still the middle of winter.

Old February 19th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

LSMike wrote:
Peter wrote:
spring is definitely here.
cycled home after work today without lights.
peter

And yet, sadly, it's still the middle of winter.

Middle of winter, no, but heading over to Glasgow yesterday quite a
bit of new snow on the high tops, and first thing yesterday there
was a fair frost. While it's Snowdrop City in our front garden
right now with spirited support from Team Crocus, last year's
Scottish skiing didn't really happen much until big falls in March.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 19th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Peter Clinch wrote:

Middle of winter, no, but heading over to Glasgow yesterday quite a
bit of new snow on the high tops, and first thing yesterday there
was a fair frost. While it's Snowdrop City in our front garden
right now with spirited support from Team Crocus, last year's
Scottish skiing didn't really happen much until big falls in March.

Pete.

When do you think winter runs from and to then?

Yes, I realise that you lot are talking about the weather, not the
season.

Old February 19th 06, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

LSMike wrote:
Peter Clinch wrote:

Middle of winter, no, but heading over to Glasgow yesterday quite a
bit of new snow on the high tops, and first thing yesterday there
was a fair frost. While it's Snowdrop City in our front garden
right now with spirited support from Team Crocus, last year's
Scottish skiing didn't really happen much until big falls in March.

Pete.

When do you think winter runs from and to then?

Technically Pete is correct as the middle of winter was a week or so
ago.

Yes, I realise that you lot are talking about the weather, not the
season.

The hills were very nice yesterday. I wasn't cycling as I was taking my
9 and 7 year olds to Schiehallion (in good weather visible from one of
my usual rides.) Blue sky, warm sun and no wind. We got up to the first
cairn, by which time the youngest was rather tired, the wind was just
starting to pick up and the looming clouds in the far east were now
more ominously in the near east. The snow started to fall just after we
crossed the snow line heading down. Chips in Pitlochry for the weans on
the wy home wrapped up a very good day, though my legs are aching form
lack of hill walking.

I didn't see a badger but did see a deer on the Loch Tummel road, which
is now on my list of routes to ride - looks fantastic, even in the
rain.

...d

Old February 19th 06, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I didn't see a badger but did see a deer on the Loch Tummel road, which
is now on my list of routes to ride - looks fantastic, even in the
rain.

Is there an I-spy Audax? A sliding scale of points for different roadkill,
parts of cars (from hubcap, through bits of tyre and front/rear bumper to
entire cars or a stripped down chassis).

Could be popular - I imagine there'd be a lot of demand for something that
gives points for things other than bstrd steep hills.