bugger! battery time - Polar 725

Old February 16th 07, 04:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama

Default bugger! battery time - Polar 725

I replaced my 725 battery last night. A very easy task. It instantly
fixed all the IR upload issues I was having too. There was no battery
low warning either.. hmm.. anyhow, all is well in Polar land.

--
gplama

Old February 16th 07, 04:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
flyingdutch

gplama Wrote:
I replaced my 725 battery last night. A very easy task. It instantly
fixed all the IR upload issues I was having too. There was no battery
low warning either.. hmm.. anyhow, all is well in Polar land.

went down there after your tip, but alas they were out of CR2354 stock

--
flyingdutch

Old February 26th 07, 02:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
byron27[_4_]

byron27 Wrote:
can get them at dick smiths in the city as well.

It is a "sitting in front of the tv" job. took me 5 minutes.

Update.

None at Dick Smiths in town now.

Have to head out to Collingwood. and see if they have restocked.

--
byron27

6'5", curly hair, bit like krusty the clown i spose

Old February 26th 07, 03:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
byron27[_5_]

byron27 Wrote:
Update.

None at Dick Smiths in town now.

Have to head out to Collingwood. and see if they have restocked.

update #2:

Just went to Battery World. They have restocked. Yay!

If you are still looking for one dutch and they are all out when you go
back in there let me know. i bought two to have a spare so you can have
that one in an emergency.

Old February 26th 07, 08:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
jcjordan[_3_]

531Aussie Wrote:
if you have a 725, I'm guessing you have a 'WearLink' belt, the 'soft'
one that unclips in the middle?

If so, it might not be the battery, coz those belts can stuff up if
they're not washed enough, like mine did.

Anyhoo, I got my 2025 battery at the local chemist for a few bucks

I will second that. Polar-Pursuit in Adelaide (Polar distributer in
Australia) recomend that you wash it every couple of times you use it
with old toothbrush; they recomend that you scub the silver conections
between the centre part and the strap and the the sensor parts of the
strap. All I do is take it into the shower and give it a wash after a
ride.

--
jcjordan

Old February 26th 07, 10:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

jcjordan wrote:
531Aussie Wrote:
if you have a 725, I'm guessing you have a 'WearLink' belt, the 'soft'
one that unclips in the middle?

If so, it might not be the battery, coz those belts can stuff up if
they're not washed enough, like mine did.

Anyhoo, I got my 2025 battery at the local chemist for a few bucks

I will second that. Polar-Pursuit in Adelaide (Polar distributer in
Australia) recomend that you wash it every couple of times you use it
with old toothbrush; they recomend that you scub the silver conections
between the centre part and the strap and the the sensor parts of the
strap. All I do is take it into the shower and give it a wash after a
ride.

Not sure what silver connections you're talking about but here's some
advice for connections in general.

If the silver parts are actually made of silver then you shouldn't scrub
them. The silver plating is normally very thin and you'll wear it away
leaving some other metal which is more easily corroded, usually brass.
Silver contacts are used for two reasons, the first is that silver is a
very good conductor of electricity and doesn't tarnish easily, the
second is that even when it does tarnish the oxide is still a good
conductor of electricity, (the oxide is blackish in color.)I'd suggest
that only the better devices would use silver contacts.

If the silvery bits are chrome type plating then you can clean those but
be very careful, once you rub off the plating you usually have steel
underneath which will oxidize very quickly every time you get a bit of
moisture on it, and iron oxide (rust) is NOT a good conductor of
electricity. Most cheap sensors would use contacts of this type.

For heart rate monitor bands I leave mine sweaty because salty sweat is
a good electrical conductor. Mind you, it's worth cleaning them
occasionally for hygiene reasons.

Friday
Old February 26th 07, 11:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Friday wrote:

advice for connections in general.

Come on! Real connectors are gold plated. But even they can give problems.

Most interesting connector problem I've had was when I loaned my trailer to
a mate. His trailer plug was not earthed and depended on the tow-bar for the
earth connection. The ball and socket turned out to _not_ be the problem.
There was no connection between the tow-bar and the tongue, even though it
was attached with two very tight bolts which required a large socket, a one
metre bar, and lots of grunting to undo. I thought the bolts were going to
snap off first.

Theo

Old February 27th 07, 02:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

Theo Bekkers wrote:
Friday wrote:

advice for connections in general.

Come on! Real connectors are gold plated. But even they can give problems.

Most interesting connector problem I've had was when I loaned my trailer to
a mate. His trailer plug was not earthed and depended on the tow-bar for the
earth connection. The ball and socket turned out to _not_ be the problem.
There was no connection between the tow-bar and the tongue, even though it
was attached with two very tight bolts which required a large socket, a one
metre bar, and lots of grunting to undo. I thought the bolts were going to
snap off first.

Theo

Hi Theo

After working in the electrical industry for 28 years I've learnt to
never to take anything for granted. Good electrical connections are
surprisingly difficult to make and the best advice is to reduce the
connections to as few as possible. My bike lights plug straight to the
battery without a switch as the switch and its associated connections is
a prime cause of problems. Gold is good for connections but because of
its cost the plating tends to be very thin, and I've seen problems on a
PDP11 computer motherboard caused by the gold contacts wearing through,
ironically by regular removal of the board for preventative maintainance.
My old text books tell me that silver is a slightly better conductor
than gold.

Did you cop a storm in the last few days? They all went around us down here.

Friday
Old February 27th 07, 03:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Friday wrote:

My bike lights plug straight to the battery

Battery connections are the worst kind. :-)

Gold is good for connections but because of
its cost the plating tends to be very thin, and I've seen problems on
a PDP11 computer motherboard caused by the gold contacts wearing
through, ironically by regular removal of the board for preventative
maintainance.

Been there, done that. We scrapped an old NCR 315 computer system (1967) in
1980, $6000 of gold was recovered from it. Some serious plating there but,
as you know, a hundred thousand contacts.

My old text books tell me that silver is a slightly
better conductor than gold.

But does not make better connections.

Did you cop a storm in the last few days? They all went around us
down here.

Lightning all around us. I was waiting for a fire call.

Theo

Old February 27th 07, 06:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Richard Sherratt

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:23:13 +0900, "Theo Bekkers"
wrote:

Friday wrote:

snip

My old text books tell me that silver is a slightly
better conductor than gold.

But does not make better connections.

In 1969 I spent a summer vacation from uni doing 'industrial
experience' at Rolls Royce motor car division in the UK. As part of
their development programme, they bought other manufacturers'
interesting new models and evaluated them. Which basically means "Is
there anything we can or should copy". The engineers were having a lot
of fun with an NSU RO80 (remember them?). There were many discussions
about the gold contacts in the electrical system. It seems that the RR
engineers hadn't come across a car that had them before the RO80.

All my Hi Fi connections are gold, if that means anything :-)

--
Regards.
Richard.