"Cyclists need good manners"

Old March 1st 07, 06:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default "Cyclists need good manners"

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 1 Mar 2007 13:54:18 +1100
Duracell Bunny wrote:
my dog, who is old and very slow.
We were being approached by a cyclist who was speeding towards us.
Instead of slowing down he yelled at us to ‘‘hurry up’’.

I wrote back suggesting Ms Tina East does something about her anger
management issues .... I'm not going to hold my breath for publication

Did you also suggest the cyclist do so?

Zebee
Old March 1st 07, 08:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

wrote:
my dog, who is old and very slow.
We were being approached by a cyclist who was speeding towards us.
Instead of slowing down he yelled at us to ''hurry up''.

I wrote back suggesting Ms Tina East does something about her anger
management issues .... I'm not going to hold my breath for publication

Did you also suggest the cyclist do so?

I really don't see how this cyclist was angry. While he was riding along a
*road* a pedestrian has stepped out to walk across, and for an unknown
reason has ambled across very slowly (he was not to know it was an elderly
or lame dog). The cyclist has given a warning by voice, perhaps not the best
way and a little impatiently. A bell ring would have been more acceptable,
but those damn roadies never do carry a bell :-)

Really none of this has involved excess anger on the cyclist's part. Equally
Ms East doesn't really seem to have anger issues, unless her idea of
teaching some manners to cyclists involves illegal or aggressive acts.

It was a brief conflict of travel intentions. Deal with it and get on with
your life!
--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old March 1st 07, 08:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
just us

I cant help but wonder why the cyclist just didnt slow down????
Cyclist should come ride up here where we dodge cows on the road, old
people, young people, dogs, horses - or just stop to chat along the way.
Really, how much of a hurry was the cyclist in? Maybe just slowing down
would have won more votes? Isnt cycling all about relaxing, enjoying the
outdoors, stressless pursuit while excersising? We can all get lost in
getting there pronto , or just go with the flow.
Kathy

Old March 1st 07, 08:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Are you saying she was jaywalking? What makes you assume that?

So Theo, you can confirm that she was crossing legally, and more to the
point, with her elderly dog was crossing at a pedestrian crossing with the
green man?

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old March 1st 07, 08:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 1, 1:22 pm, Duracell Bunny Duracell.Bunny.2mq...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
warrwych Wrote:

Brisbane drivers are not the best - this is evidenced by the need to
"swerve' as the only option when passing cyclists.

Heh no they are not.

Here's the full text of my letter to the editor:

May I take Tina East (28 Feb Opinion) to task for her inconsiderate
article concerning a cyclist? She does not say whether or not she was
crossing the road on a pedestrian crossing, nor whether she checked
that the road was clear before she slowly meandered across the road
with her lame dog. Cyclists are not required to pay to use the roads,
and nor is her dog - but all the cyclists I know pay a great deal to
register their cars, but chose to use bicycles as much as possible,
using cars only when needed, so yes we DO pay for roads.
She freely admits to an anger management problem towards this cyclist,
therefore I would strongly suggest it is her that "needs to be taught
some manners". Brisbane is unusually hostile to cyclists, always has
been in the 25 years I've been cycling here, and as a result most of us
ride pretty defensively. Acting aggressively is never the answer to
problems.

--
Duracell Bunny

DB, it gives me great pleasure to confer on you honorary membership of
the BikeQld list GOMOB (Grumpy Old Men on Bikes).

Donga

Old March 1st 07, 08:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 1, 6:04 pm, "just us" wrote:
I cant help but wonder why the cyclist just didnt slow down????
Cyclist should come ride up here where we dodge cows on the road, old
people, young people, dogs, horses - or just stop to chat along the way.
Really, how much of a hurry was the cyclist in? Maybe just slowing down
would have won more votes? Isnt cycling all about relaxing, enjoying the
outdoors, stressless pursuit while excersising? We can all get lost in
getting there pronto , or just go with the flow.
Kathy

Slow down? That's the wind-up bit if I'm not mistaken. Slow down and
you'll get jumped and miss the sprint! Then it's all over until next
week. Simply not an option.

Donga

Old March 1st 07, 08:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

wrote:
my dog, who is old and very slow.
We were being approached by a cyclist who was speeding towards us.
Instead of slowing down he yelled at us to ''hurry up''.

I wrote back suggesting Ms Tina East does something about her anger
management issues .... I'm not going to hold my breath for publication

Did you also suggest the cyclist do so?

Really none of this has involved excess anger on the cyclist's part. Equally
Ms East doesn't really seem to have anger issues, unless her idea of
teaching some manners to cyclists involves illegal or aggressive acts.

I dunno. You assume the woman was not crossing legitimately, and that
the "yelled at us to hurry up" was a call of warning, not an angry
yell.

I have no idea if it was a legitimate crossing, nor if the rider was
riding at a suitable pace for the conditions, nor if the rider was
being aggro.

I just note that to assume that the writer of the letter needed anger
management but the cyclist didn't is making many assumptions not
supported by the evidence.

The writer might have been crossing illegally, and foolishly without
looking, the rider might have been polite and sensible. Or not. We
don't know... but this is aus.bicycle so the assumptions are always
going to be totally in the rider's favour, with extra helping of
disdain.

Zebee
Old March 1st 07, 08:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 1 Mar 2007 19:10:46 +1100
Peter Signorini wrote:

"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Are you saying she was jaywalking? What makes you assume that?

So Theo, you can confirm that she was crossing legally, and more to the
point, with her elderly dog was crossing at a pedestrian crossing with the
green man?

YOu know for sure she was not on a zebra crossing? Or not legally
crossing more than 20m (or 50m depending on jurisdiction) from a
crossing place?

Why the presumption of guilt?

Zebee

Old March 1st 07, 10:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SteveA[_4_]

Peter Signorini wrote:

"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Are you saying she was jaywalking? What makes you assume that?

So Theo, you can confirm that she was crossing legally, and more to

the
point, with her elderly dog was crossing at a pedestrian crossing

with the
green man?

YOu know for sure she was not on a zebra crossing? Or not legally
crossing more than 20m (or 50m depending on jurisdiction) from a
crossing place?

Why the presumption of guilt?

Zebee

Do we know for certain that the elderly person had her hearing aid
turned on? Did the cyclist yell "hurry up" at the ped or "lovely pup"
at the dog?

Sadly, we will probably never know.

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old March 1st 07, 11:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_15_]

Duracell Bunny Wrote:

Whatever makes you think I'm angry about it?

Ah, come on, don't you know that simply expressing an opinion is
commonly misconstrued, by those with less advanced social skills, as
being extremely biased or even gives the illusion of being angry?

Tina duly expressed an opinion about how she thought, in a nutshell
that's why the letterpages/feedback page still exists in numerous forms
of the media. So feel free to ping one back.

--
cfsmtb