Saw first Bicycle with a SON hub today.

Old July 13th 15, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Saw first Bicycle with a SON hub today.

I was on the train this morning and a guy got on with a Rivendell A.
Homer Hilsen. It had a Schmidt Edelux and a SON hub. I talked to him for
a while. He said that he tries not to think about how much he spent on
the bicycle, the lights, the racks, and the bags. He also had a
Rivendell cap on under his helmet. Beautiful bicycle and not one I'd
want crammed on the racks on Caltrain.
Old July 14th 15, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/13/2015 5:22 PM, sms wrote:
I was on the train this morning and a guy got on with a Rivendell A.
Homer Hilsen. It had a Schmidt Edelux and a SON hub. I talked to him for
a while. He said that he tries not to think about how much he spent on
the bicycle, the lights, the racks, and the bags. He also had a
Rivendell cap on under his helmet. Beautiful bicycle and not one I'd
want crammed on the racks on Caltrain.

Thing is, lots of Americans are prosperous, and they have enough money
to afford luxuries. The guy down the street from me has a $150,000
Porsche sitting in his garage. I have friends who paid roughly four
times what I paid for my house, adjusted for inflation. I know a
minister with an immaculate collection of motorcycles, I had a friend
who owned over 50 world-class acoustic guitars, and so on.

I have no problem with a person spending money on a very nice bicycle,
or on highly sophisticated lighting system.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 14th 15, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 7:50:26 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/13/2015 5:22 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

awww gee whiz Frank you are a generous Dude....

expletive deleted what did the Rivendell bike cost ?

Gaswell has a studio full of bikes he rides in the Alps including that electro shift MTB thingy costs 1G
Old July 14th 15, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

awwww my Raleigh is that bike n cost $50

https://goo.gl/XbtbZA
Old July 14th 15, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 2:22:40 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
I was on the train this morning and a guy got on with a Rivendell A.
Homer Hilsen. It had a Schmidt Edelux and a SON hub. I talked to him for
a while. He said that he tries not to think about how much he spent on
the bicycle, the lights, the racks, and the bags. He also had a
Rivendell cap on under his helmet. Beautiful bicycle and not one I'd
want crammed on the racks on Caltrain.

Out of curiosity, how far was that guy commuting?

Does Rivendell have a Sturgis-like event where everyone congregates with their Homer Hilsens, Sam Hilbornes, Hunqapillars, etc.? (starts sounding like an Ikea store). Seems like a great opportunity to show the wool.

In a wet climate (like SF during fall and winter) with hills and with a load, I'd buy a disc brake bike -- but that's too 21st century for Rivendell. I suppose you could put lugs on the rotor.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 14th 15, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/14/2015 8:33 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 2:22:40 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
I was on the train this morning and a guy got on with a Rivendell A.
Homer Hilsen. It had a Schmidt Edelux and a SON hub. I talked to him for
a while. He said that he tries not to think about how much he spent on
the bicycle, the lights, the racks, and the bags. He also had a
Rivendell cap on under his helmet. Beautiful bicycle and not one I'd
want crammed on the racks on Caltrain.

Out of curiosity, how far was that guy commuting?

I don't know, but the bike/train commutes tend to be pretty short on the
bicycle part, just too far to walk on each end with bicycling being
faster than the bus (if there is a bus).

My own is about 2.5 miles on the San Francisco side, and 5 miles on the
Silicon Valley side.

It would also cost me an additional $9.50 per day if I were to use the
bus instead of the bike, besides the extra time it would take, both
riding and waiting.

Today I drove to SF and took the streetcar downtown. There's a place in
SF, right by a streetcar line, with free unrestricted parking that not a
lot of people are aware of. Most parking in SF is either metered or
permit. And the bums just added Saturday to permit parking in some
neighborhoods.
Old July 14th 15, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 11:33:52 AM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

nnnnnnnnnnnnn

he was shot and robbed this morning halfway in.....
Old July 14th 15, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:27:06 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
[...]

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

how's SF parking compared to Seattle ?

THE BUS SUCKS ( 10 for $5 )

with blvd here 10-15 milers beat the bus and we have AAA bus service. Avoiding bus riders is A+ ceptin' Plam Beach where riding for rent money is a gas.

Old July 14th 15, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 9:27:06 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

I couldn't hack it. I have a five mile, net down hill morning commute that I can do in fifteen minutes. Far faster than driving. My ride home last night was maybe nine miles with a lot of climbing -- and I ran my flasher under the tree cover (and forgot to turn it off when I got home). Parts of the commute. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9woRCb15olM 2:23 is steeper than it looks. Note our lovely pavement. I couldn't imagine sitting on a train, but if I move to the 'burbs, I'd have to do something like that. I'd buy a Homer Hilsen and a cap . . . and a tablet to do work on the train.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 14th 15, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 6:00:55 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:

I'd buy a Homer Hilsen and a cap . . . and a tablet to do work on the train.

It isn't all that easy to do meaningful work on a tablet. My literary (i.e. non-graphical) work is relatively simple, just editing already-written material. But even that can be frustrating on my treadmill. Selecting text with your fingers is a hit and miss affair; I have various capacitive pens, including some supposedly the best made, and they're not much better than fingers. MSWord doesn't work the same on the iPad as on the iMac... The back and forth translations cause glitches all the time that you have to clean up again and again; it gets to be expensive, and for an attorney could get conceivably get to be very expensive. Pages used to work but was rewritten to bring it in line with iPad iOS, and it is now a minefield; I've given up on Pages. Better not change anything in Excel either, or you'll go crazy trying to find it again. In theory you can use your iPad as a mirror of your desktop computer, and then work remotely on the Mac via your iPad, but you can't get the screens to match, and in reality it is smarter to leave all the files you want to work with open on your desktop screen when you leave your desk (a security risk), rather than having to find them in folders. Add a snail-like pace for this "advance" on even the best, fastest equipment, and the frustration just mounts. And I'm still talking about text. You can totally forget about doing graphic design or illustration on an iPad unless you're a masochist. In theory original writing rather than editing is possible, because the keyboard connects to the iPad by Bluetooth (that bit is slicker than grease, because it is part of Apple's big money spinner iTunes/iPhone continuum) but you'll be doing a lot of backspacing if you don't want to select text with your fingers... Which is where we came in.

Better not to move into the bush from where you'll have to commute.

I'm a huge fan of computers but I'm getting nostalgic for the Hermes journalist's typewriter that back when I still worked in an office someone would slide onto my knees the moment I sat down in the back of a car just in case I felt like writing something. I got far, far more done in the back of cars and on my plane on a typewriter than I have ever managed on laptops and especially on tablets. A typewriter is a tool, a laptop a pose, a tablet a fashion accessory, and a dangerously distracting one at that.

Of course, you'll have to fight to take my iPad off me: it is fabulous for just reading stuff for either work or pleasure, and for reading lying in the bath or taking steam. But for real work... Nah.

The iPad, so sophisticated in every respect, so simplified that every little gangbanger can use it to buy "songs", for real work is no further advanced, and in several respects behind where Apple's Newton was roundabout 25 years ago. I'm not bull****ting you: my Newton still sits on the shelf under my side table, ready to be taken up again some day. For instance, I had it so well trained that it would interpret my handwriting, when I wrote in the dark in a concert. Try making an iPad do that!

Andre Jute
Nostalgia is the final indulgence