Aussies, helmets and driving

Old August 8th 03, 02:21 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Aussies, helmets and driving

A couple of people said that Angie Lee was wrong when she stated that the
drop in cycling in Victoria, Australia was due to a reduction in the driving
age.

I asked for a bit more data from Those Who Know and got the following reply:

"The driving age limit was reduced from 18 to 17 in Victoria only (no other
state) shortly before the helmet law. But at the time 17-year olds accounted
for only 6% of total travel. Even if every cycling 17 year old had changed
to motoring, it couldn't possibly explain falls in cycle use amongst
teenagers of 43% in Victoria and up to 60% in other states."

So now we know. She wasn't lying, just distorting the facts and
exaggerating the percentages - which is, I guess, par for the course for a
helmet compulsion campaigner.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Old August 9th 03, 02:28 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 19:41:03 +1000, Alan Hutchison
wrote:

See
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...cument&Area =[Learners+]

You are being bluffed by a shreiking extremist.

The bluffer in this case was not the shrieking extremist, but someone
we all apparently hold in high regard [names concealed top protect the
innocent]

However, the link says it all. So she was lying ;-P

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
New! Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!
Old August 10th 03, 01:27 PM
Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
A couple of people said that Angie Lee was wrong when she stated that the
drop in cycling in Victoria, Australia was due to a reduction in the

driving
age.

I read the debate(?) in the Chronicle; what I found worrying was that both
Lee and some other correspondent seemed to putting across the messages that

1) cycling is only for children
2) cycling is declining anyway.

Alex

Old August 10th 03, 08:52 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:27:49 +0100, "Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms
room 2]" wrote:

I read the debate(?) in the Chronicle;

Please pile in, then. The more the merrier.

Guy
===
Old August 11th 03, 10:33 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:29:58 +0100, "Tony W"
wrote:

Please pile in, then. The more the merrier.

I did -- not published though -- as far as i can tell from their crappy
website.

They reach the website about a week after the paper is published I
think.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
New! Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

published helmet research - not troll patrick Racing 1790 November 8th 04 03:16 AM
published helmet research - not troll Frank Krygowski Social Issues 1716 October 24th 04 06:39 AM
helmets dreaded General 68 July 20th 04 02:34 PM
First Helmet : jury is out. Walter Mitty General 125 June 26th 04 02:00 AM