Standards (or lack thereof)

Old August 10th 03, 06:43 PM
Doesnotcompute

Default Standards (or lack thereof)

Arthur Clune wrote:
While pottering back from Sainsburys today [1] I had this thought:

How many actual real standards are there in the bike world? Not
"standards" but actual, universal standards. So I thought and came
up with:

* Pedal threads

and that was it.

Any more for any more?

The need for 2 wheels

hth

--
Dnc

Old August 10th 03, 07:13 PM
Nick Kew

In article , one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "Arthur Clune" wrote:
How many actual real standards are there in the bike world? Not
"standards" but actual, universal standards. So I thought and came
up with:

* Pedal threads

Hmmm ...

Well, I have a bike bought in Italy, from a manufacturer not known in
the UK. Yet I can walk into my LBS and buy replacement parts, without
even having looked carefully at what they're replacing. A new gear
shift cable; new inner tube; lights; waterbottle, to name a few of
my latest acquisitions.

That seems to indicate a working standard or two.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars?
Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5, Germany 0.8
Old August 10th 03, 08:00 PM
Huw Pritchard

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:31:14 +0100, Scrumpy Joe did issue forth:

Headsets and steerer tubes.

What? 1", 1.125", 1.25" and 1.5"?

9 speed shifting

And 7 speed/8 speed on some bikes. And 10 speed on posh roadbikes.

Seatposts

How many different sizes?

Huw "Standards are great. There's so many to choose from" Pritchard
Old August 10th 03, 08:04 PM
Huw Pritchard

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:38:33 +0000, Arthur Clune did issue forth:

How many actual real standards are there in the bike world? Not
"standards" but actual, universal standards. So I thought and came up
with:

* Pedal threads

Dropout spacing (front, anyway)

Saddle rail spacing

Huw "Blimey, this is tough, isn't it?" Pritchard
Old August 10th 03, 08:20 PM
Ian Smith

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Huw Pritchard wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:38:33 +0000, Arthur Clune did issue forth:

How many actual real standards are there in the bike world? Not
"standards" but actual, universal standards. So I thought and came up
with:

* Pedal threads

Dropout spacing (front, anyway)

Saddle rail spacing

Excepting some Brookes (I think, maybe they've stopped that - do they
not have some models with odd rails?)

Valves, or at least there's no variation beyond teh three types.

Wheel shape?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old August 10th 03, 10:18 PM
Danny Colyer

The thread went:
Arthur Clune:
How many actual real standards are there in the bike world?

Doesnotcompute:
The need for 2 wheels

Martin Harlow:
Having just sold the uni which I never managed to learn to ride, I can
confirm this ;-)

Ah, well, that's nothing to do with the bike world. By definition, a
bike must have 2 wheels. A bike can't have one wheel, or 3, or 4,
because then it would be a yike, or a trike, or a quad.

One wheel is quite sufficient for cycling, just not for biking.

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/

Old August 10th 03, 10:48 PM
Doesnotcompute

Danny Colyer wrote:

How many actual real standards are there in the bike world?

The need for 2 wheels

Ah, well, that's nothing to do with the bike world. By definition, a
bike must have 2 wheels. A bike can't have one wheel, or 3, or 4,
because then it would be a yike, or a trike, or a quad.

One wheel is quite sufficient for cycling, just not for biking.

but the question was "bike world" not cycling world

--
Dnc

Old August 11th 03, 01:38 AM
marc

Arthur Clune wrote:

* Pedal threads

and that was it.

Boss threads?
Bottl boss threads pitche?
Bottle Diametre?

--
Marc
Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc
Old August 11th 03, 01:40 AM
marc

Martin Harlow wrote:

Having just sold the uni

Bugger! It's my Bday on Friday!

Old August 11th 03, 10:06 AM
Clive George

"Arthur Clune" wrote in message
While pottering back from Sainsburys today [1] I had this thought:

How many actual real standards are there in the bike world? Not
"standards" but actual, universal standards. So I thought and came
up with:

* Pedal threads

Wife's cheap crap bike (purchased before I had a say in such decisions) has
non standard pedal threads.

cheers,
clive