"... I forgot to put batteries in my dynamo."

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 12th 13, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default "... I forgot to put batteries in my dynamo."

On Monday, November 11, 2013 8:26:00 PM UTC-8, Clive George wrote:
On 12/11/2013 02:12, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:38:28 PM UTC-8, Dan wrote:

Clive George writes:

On 10/11/2013 03:30, Phil W Lee wrote:

Frank Krygowski considered Sat, 9 Nov 2013

09:18:48 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

http://tinyurl.com/cambridge-lights

- Frank Krygowski

All courtesy of the tory blight, which has been inflicted on

Cambridgeshire, (elected by a single figure percentage of voters) and

refuses to take road safety seriously enough to do anything about

dangerous driving, speed limit enforcement, careless driving,

infringement of cycle lanes by motor vehicles, or threatening

behaviour (as long as it's done with or from a motor vehicle). And

note that the car that was stopped without lights only received "words

of advice", despite clearly posing a far greater hazard to the general

public. Clear double standard (if you can find any standard at all -

I doubt if Sir Graham Dim could even spell it).

I don't really mind them having the occasional blitz on unlit cyclists

-

it's not a continuous thing, it's a few hours, it gets headlines, and

encourages people to get lights. Note the timing - after the clocks

change, which is when people need reminding.

The fines aren't even fines unless you fail to demonstrate you've gone

and got some lights. That's positive policing, not being miserable

facists.

I don't know. What got me about the article was how there

were too many unlit bikes going by for the blitz squad to

even make much of a dent. And the cops attitude? "Like

shooting fish in a barrel." Does no one think they're

treating people (hoardes of people apparently going about

their business without a problem) people who may have room

for improvement for their own safety being treated as if they

were a menace to society?

"Load up the fish guns and gather 'round the barrel, boys!"

Well, you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or give him a gun and a barrel of fish . . .

Anyway, because of this: http://vimeo.com/25717583# We got this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5RdFFlFz9g

I mean you can at least fake following the law -- slow a little, act like you didn't see the sign . . . claim not to understand English. Damn. They even pulled over the girl with the milk crate rack basket! Man, this is a bad day for the Bohemians.

Shouldn't that be a give way rather than stop? That's the way

roundabouts are supposed to work, and why they're a good junction design.

Yes. I think the stop signs went in for traffic calming and pedestrian issues. One could certainly argue that "yield" signs are more appropriate -- and more common even here in PDX.

-- Jay Beattie.