Fitting cartridge BB - how to get it right

Old May 5th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PJay

Default Fitting cartridge BB - how to get it right

I'm trying to develop a feel for fitting cartridge bottom brackets
(Octalink). Shimano specs. state that both the cartridge and non-driveside
adapter should be torqued to between 50-70Nm.

Is it okay just to go for 'nice and tight' with both flanges up tight
against the BB shell or do I need to be more accurate than this? I
understand that a loose BB could damage the thread in the shell and I don't
want to risk this. Would a BB and/or adapter that were loose enough to cause
thread damage be obvious (creak or wobble) or is it more subtle than that?

Old May 6th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

PJay wrote:
I'm trying to develop a feel for fitting cartridge bottom brackets
(Octalink). Shimano specs. state that both the cartridge and non-driveside
adapter should be torqued to between 50-70Nm.

Is it okay just to go for 'nice and tight' with both flanges up tight
against the BB shell or do I need to be more accurate than this? I
understand that a loose BB could damage the thread in the shell and I don't
want to risk this. Would a BB and/or adapter that were loose enough to cause
thread damage be obvious (creak or wobble) or is it more subtle than that?

Just a suggestion here.
If you are reasonably good at things mechanical you can try to tighten
it yourself and see how it works. Once you hit the point where all
wiggle room disappears only apply a little more torque or you will be
killing your bearings.
If you are unsure of 'anything' then, before riding, figure out what Nm
converts to in foot pounds or something you can walk into an auto store
or LBS and buy the appropriate torque wrench.
Next check how much torque you have applied by your previous best guess
reasoning. You may find yourself dead on or way out in left field.
Remember, any doubts and you take it to a pro.
My 2 cents.
I like working on things when not riding, even if only to find out how
they work.
Best of luck.
Bill Baka
Old May 6th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PJay

Thanks,

I've used a torque wrench in the past but when I mention it I'm often told
that you don't need a toruqe wrench or that I should learn to develop a
'feel'. Most of the maintenance books I've read just tend to suggest that it
needs to be done up tight. Shimano give a torque range of 50-70Nm which is
fairly wide.

I guess that my main concern is getting it too loose so that it could damage
the shell threads. Would a BB that was loose enough to do this be obvious
(wobbly and/or creaking)?

Thanks for taking the time to reply :-)
"Bill" wrote in message
et...

Old May 6th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

PJay wrote:
Thanks,

I've used a torque wrench in the past but when I mention it I'm often told
that you don't need a toruqe wrench or that I should learn to develop a
'feel'. Most of the maintenance books I've read just tend to suggest that it
needs to be done up tight. Shimano give a torque range of 50-70Nm which is
fairly wide.

Yes, but do you have a calibrated feel?

I guess that my main concern is getting it too loose so that it could damage
the shell threads. Would a BB that was loose enough to do this be obvious
(wobbly and/or creaking)?

I would think (no guarantees) that you would notice it well before
damage was done. I give the cranks a test before I ride. It's kind of
simple but effective. If you can grab both pedals and feel **any**
wiggle then you need to tighten things a bit. If the crank is hard to
turn then you need to loosen a bit. Eventually (I hope) you will develop
that 'feel'.
Bill Baka

Thanks for taking the time to reply :-)

Old May 6th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Warner[_2_]

On Sat, 5 May 2007 22:05:58 +0100, PJay wrote:

I'm trying to develop a feel for fitting cartridge bottom brackets
(Octalink). Shimano specs. state that both the cartridge and non-driveside
adapter should be torqued to between 50-70Nm.

Is it okay just to go for 'nice and tight' with both flanges up tight
against the BB shell or do I need to be more accurate than this? I
understand that a loose BB could damage the thread in the shell and I don't
want to risk this. Would a BB and/or adapter that were loose enough to cause
thread damage be obvious (creak or wobble) or is it more subtle than that?

At such high torque, it's pretty hard to do any damage by using maximum
force (but not jerking) on hand tools of reasonable size - I use a 30cm
wrench for this. I set the body snug against the shell, without tightening
it, then use max force on the lockring, then max force on the
cartridge again. Remember to clean and grease up the threads and
body/lockring interface first, since this gives your torque maximum
effectiveness, and makes disassembly easier later.

Old May 6th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Warner[_2_]

On Sun, 06 May 2007 03:48:07 GMT, Bill wrote:

If you are reasonably good at things mechanical you can try to tighten
it yourself and see how it works. Once you hit the point where all
wiggle room disappears only apply a little more torque or you will be
killing your bearings.

Bill, you don't appear to know what a cartridge is.

Old May 6th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Warner[_2_]

On Sun, 6 May 2007 21:13:40 +0100, PJay wrote:

I guess that my main concern is getting it too loose so that it could damage
the shell threads. Would a BB that was loose enough to do this be obvious
(wobbly and/or creaking)?

When a BB starts to loosen, it creaks when you apply extra force (i.e.
standing on the pedals). If you let it get bad, you'll be able to feel it
shift under the pressure, by which time it may well be doing
and/or suffering some damage.

Old May 6th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Michael Warner wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2007 03:48:07 GMT, Bill wrote:

If you are reasonably good at things mechanical you can try to tighten
it yourself and see how it works. Once you hit the point where all
wiggle room disappears only apply a little more torque or you will be
killing your bearings.

Bill, you don't appear to know what a cartridge is.

Pointer?
That was mostly general info for a beginning wrench artist.
Bill Baka
Old May 6th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Warner[_2_]

On Sun, 06 May 2007 22:31:17 GMT, Bill wrote:

That was mostly general info for a beginning wrench artist.

As opposed to a useful answer to the question.

Even though you may have completely misled the OP, I'm
sure he's gone away in awe of your mechanical skills, and
that's the important thing, isn't it?

Old May 6th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Michael Warner wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2007 22:31:17 GMT, Bill wrote:

That was mostly general info for a beginning wrench artist.

As opposed to a useful answer to the question.

Even though you may have completely misled the OP, I'm
sure he's gone away in awe of your mechanical skills, and
that's the important thing, isn't it?

Not really.
I can rebuild an automatic transmission pretty well though.
Bill

Fitting cartridge bottom brackets PJay Techniques 3 May 5th 07 09:57 PM
Cartridge BBs - how tight PJay[_2_] General 0 May 4th 07 09:52 PM
cartridge BB ring [email protected] UK 2 July 11th 05 04:45 PM
Fitting cartridge BBs Paul Davis UK 11 August 22nd 04 05:32 PM
Cartridge bearings Paul Davis UK 5 August 8th 04 11:16 AM