Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

Old May 3rd 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
nash

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

"Brent P" wrote in message
In article .com,
wrote:
On May 3, 12:49 pm, Turby wrote:

The first cite says,
"1 out of every 3 American women will be sexually assulted in her
lifetime."

Really, that's not much of a citation. I see no source for the
number, and no clue as to how it was determined. It's impossible to
tell if it has any validity.

Those of us on the rec.bicycles.* groups are very familiar with
impressive-sounding numbers that have no validity. The most famous
(in our sphere) is an almost universal claim that a certain style of
hat will reduce certain injuries by "85%". Unfortunately, there was
only one tiny study that concluded that, and it's been shown to be
completely bogus. It's also been refuted by many other studies. Yet
the claim persists by those in the business of making such claims.

So, tracking down the original source of that claim may give us some
idea as to its validity. At the moment, it sounds very fishy -
unless, once again, the definition of "sexual assault" extends to
things even the most timid and shy 16-year-old guy tries on a first
date.

There was one 'date-rape' study that got impressive, shocking results by
defining buying a man buying a woman a drink as 'date-rape'. The thought
process being it was to get her drunk and have his way with her.

One drink. I don't think so.
But if the agressor gets drunk he is less likely to be held responsible for
his behaviour.
Just like drunk drivers getting off clean.

Old May 3rd 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Chris[_2_]

I can't believe all these fruitcakes are blasting you for wanting to
carry some personal protection when you are out alone, you're smarter
than they are. You have every right to do whatever you feel is
necessary, it's none of their business. A .38 is excellent personal
defense gun for a woman, might be a little lightweight in some
instances but with 125 grain hollow points, quite effective. Keep
carrying it and don't worry about this bunch.

Agreed, maybe a .357 would be better.

Old May 3rd 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
donquijote1954

Default riding a bike into no man's land

On May 3, 1:01 am, Bill wrote:

That's reasonable and it will make it to the Bicycle Statutes of the
revolution.

What kind of flowers are fit for a lane taker who gets in front of a 40
ton semi?
Bill Baka-

Well, I'd be more worried with the driver of a 5 ton SUV, since this
one has very little training in driving, and chances are he/she would
be attending to some other business other than driving.

But if we make it a COORDINATED CAMPAIGN, and while one goes down, the
other make a lot of noise, then things could be different. At least
you die for a purpose, or a cause.

Today I'll be riding in heavy traffic before I get into the calmer
area, and I feel like I'm going into no man's land, 'cause, you know,
it's very Darwinistic out there, even in a car...

"We live in a society where things are moving so fast that nobody
seems to appreciate life anymore,"

Police: Steer clear of road rage
by KAREN HANNA

HAGERSTOWN - An accident in Frederick County, Md., that killed two
people who reportedly exchanged obscene gestures with a man in another
vehicle has local motorists worried.

Almost two weeks after Harrisburg, Pa., residents Christian Michael
Luciano, 28, and Lindsay L. Bender, 25, died in the accident on
Interstate 270, 1st Sgt. Chris Sasse said Maryland State Police in
Frederick continue their search for the other driver.

Sasse said Monday that police at the Frederick barrack might get as
many as 100 complaints about aggressive driving on busy travel days,
but police in Washington County said they only occasionally
investigate incidents involving road rage.

Josie Boon and her husband, Erik, said they cannot understand what
possesses drivers to put other travelers in danger.

"We live in a society where things are moving so fast that nobody
seems to appreciate life anymore," said Boon, who talked about the
accident while she and her family took in a baseball game Monday at
Staley Park.

http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=d...69&format=html

Old May 3rd 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
evelyn

On May 2, 9:54 pm, Wayne Pein wrote:
Mike Young wrote:

"Wayne Pein" wrote in message
It's safer. Traffic doesn't have to "squeeze by". And they will squeeze by.

So? Squeezing by sucks, but few collsions are caused by this. Thus it is
not dangerous. By being in the traffic line, motorists slow and exhibit
caution. On the other hand, most collisions occur via turning/merging
movements, and riding far to the side out of the normal traffic line
exacerbates these.

When I ride in a group we use the full lane. So?

So. Do tell. Do you have thoughts resembling: "So what? I'm well within
my right. By law!"

I think, "I'm with a large group enjoying myself. I'm sorry some
motorists are inconvenienced for a short spell."

Hey Boy, the reason motor vehicles require licensing and restrictions
is because they are dangerous to others. Bicycles are not, hence they
are not required to have those things. Nothing is "granted" to
bicyclists. Others are restricted.

That's really warped. Do you consider yourself extreme? Or just typical?

I consider myself knowledgeble and you not.

You seem to think 40 is a right in your scenario. That is a MAX. In
all my years of riding a bike, I've never had a queue behind me to the
extent I had to pull over.

In other words, it never occurred to you that you should pull over. Fair
enough, but hard to believe. A queue of even 1 should be plenty.

My word! A queue by definition in the states that have such a law is
typically 6 motor vehicles. If a slow user (bicyclist, front loader,
farm tractor) had to pull over every time there was one vehicle delayed
they would never get anywhere.

If the

MAX is 40, and the only other impediment is your slow ass, what do you
say to removing that from the picture? I think we're back on topic now.

I say you need to understand the rules of the road and quit thinking
that you can travel at whatever speed you like when you like.

The role of a handgun is to impose your personal will, by threat of or
actual use of deadly force. How should one respond to the imposition of
your discourteous view of fair road use?

Idiot. That is not the role of a handgun. Grow up.

I agree, the role of my handgun is to not impose my personal will, it
is for protection.
Wayne

Old May 3rd 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
evelyn

On May 3, 12:53 pm, Turby wrote:
On 3 May 2007 05:33:08 -0700, evelyn wrote:

Whatever. I do believe being groped, penetrated by anything, or
sodomized is rape. Ladies, do you agree?

The government doesn't. Groping is not rape. Penetration is the key.
There is a _huge_ difference.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/rape.htm
Rape - Forced sexual intercourse including both psychological coercion
as well as physical force. Forced sexual intercourse means penetration
by the offender(s). Includes attempted rapes, male as well as female
victims, and both heterosexual and homosexual rape. Attempted rape
includes verbal threats of rape.

--
Turby the Turbosurfer

I agree there is a huge difference, but personally I would feel
violated even if I were just groped against my will.

Old May 3rd 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
dgk

On Thu, 03 May 2007 09:03:29 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 2 May 2007 21:53:31 -0700, "Bill Sornson"
wrote:

Stephen! wrote:

You ever try to take a picture of yer own
asshole? It ain't as easy as it sounds...

Hard to get good sunlight on it.

But SO many people have tried it on copiers.
Old May 3rd 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
dgk

On 3 May 2007 05:49:45 -0700, evelyn wrote:

I don't thing that when I'm riding my bike, someone will be able to
"surprise" me and tackle me to the ground.

I think that you're very wrong here. All someone has to do is push you
while you bike past and you're lying on the ground wondering what
happened. A stick in the spokes will do the same thing. A rock to the
head and off you go.
Old May 3rd 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Thu, 03 May 2007 11:41:52 -0700, Turby
wrote:

On 3 May 2007 10:08:43 -0700, wrote:

On May 3, 12:49 pm, Turby wrote:

The first cite says,
"1 out of every 3 American women will be sexually assulted in her
lifetime."

Really, that's not much of a citation. I see no source for the
number, and no clue as to how it was determined. It's impossible to
tell if it has any validity.

Once again, somebody wants to quibble about numbers, rather than
address the issue. Do you deny that the number of reported rapes is
ridiculously excessive?

Yep. Take Crystal Gail Mangum, for instance ... ( Duke rape
case ).

The liberals have made the word meaningless over the last 40
years. They've so redefined it and manipulated it so that now, if two
kids in college get ( willingly ) drunk and have consensual sex,
that's 'rape' ( against only one of them, apparently ), if the girl
decides the next day or the next week that she wished she'd have had
less to drink, and kept her panties on..

Without citing numbers, virtually all
authorities agree that the actual incidence of rape is far higher than
what is reported.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Old May 3rd 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles

On May 3, 3:01 pm, wrote:
The liberals have made the word meaningless over the last 40
years. They've so redefined it and manipulated it so that now, if two
kids in college get ( willingly ) drunk and have consensual sex,
that's 'rape' ( against only one of them, apparently ), if the girl
decides the next day or the next week that she wished she'd have had
less to drink, and kept her panties on..

I can't wait until some dude beats her to the punch and sues a female
party hose for getting him trashed & "raping" him when he wakes up
feeling like a coyote with a paw in a beartrap. Right guy, right
lawyer, right circumstances and it just might take.
I hate that any of this nonsense is happening, don't get me wrong.
I'm just not above laughing at the absurdity of it when I'm in no
position to fix it.

Should Cyclists Pack Guns? donquijote1954 General 465 May 7th 07 03:25 PM
Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete Rodney Kuehl Recumbent Biking 40 February 24th 07 01:20 AM
Back pack for cyclists scouselad General 18 June 28th 05 01:39 PM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 9 October 7th 04 01:21 AM
" 400mph cyclists kill opponents with handlebar-mounted guns " Gawnsoft UK 4 March 10th 04 11:56 PM