Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

Old May 4th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Matthew T. Russotto

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

In article .com,
wrote:

Those of us on the rec.bicycles.* groups are very familiar with
impressive-sounding numbers that have no validity. The most famous
(in our sphere) is an almost universal claim that a certain style of
hat will reduce certain injuries by "85%".

Is it a baseball cap? One of those Panama jobbies? Perhaps a fedora? :-)
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old May 4th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Brent P

In article , Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Those of us on the rec.bicycles.* groups are very familiar with
impressive-sounding numbers that have no validity. The most famous
(in our sphere) is an almost universal claim that a certain style of
hat will reduce certain injuries by "85%".

Is it a baseball cap? One of those Panama jobbies? Perhaps a fedora? :-)

Stylish plastic and styrofoam.

Old May 4th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

"Mike Young" wrote in
et:

"Stephen!" wrote in message
evelyn wrote in news:1178196585.232753.237380
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Lets refresh your memory...you called me a loser for no reason.

Nope. I called you a loser (and still do) because you insist that
carrying a revolver in a fanny pack will help you in a self-defense
situation.

I wonder why the police don't all wear their firearms in fanny packs...

Some do. And not all fanny packs are equal.

Situational awareness helps a LOT.
If you walk,drive or ride around clueless about what's going on around
you,being armed is not going to be of any benefit.
People who are intending on jumping/attacking you act differently than
ordinary people.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 4th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
donquijote1954

Default Pre-emptive strike is best

On May 3, 2:52 pm, dgk wrote:
On 3 May 2007 05:49:45 -0700, evelyn wrote:

I don't thing that when I'm riding my bike, someone will be able to
"surprise" me and tackle me to the ground.

I think that you're very wrong here. All someone has to do is push you
while you bike past and you're lying on the ground wondering what
happened. A stick in the spokes will do the same thing. A rock to the
head and off you go.

Pre-emptive strike is best when riding a bike. A suspicious-looking
black SUV, particularly if it got tinted windows (is someone looking
at you or simply chatting on the phone?) with an "innocent soccer mom"
on board, may be sufficient reason to draw and...

Well, then you wake up from your dreams, and realize you own a
stationary bike that gives you great peace of mind.

Old May 4th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
donquijote1954

Default the dinosaur was still there

--An excess of sardines can give you gout
Which is very painful.--

"The shark overhunts sardines till they disappear. Then he dies too."

Sorry to have made a short story with a sad ending. Do you know one of
the classics of the short story???

It's Augusto Monterroso's famous story, 'The Dinosaur'...

"When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there."

What analysis or application can you make out of it? Say a nightmare
where a dinosaur gets elected for 4 years and then re-elected, so he
never goes away? How about the SUVs? I see them in my nightmares where
they chase me in my bike. Are they trying to crush me, or just
overtake me? Or simply they live in the own big world and couldn't
care less about such an insect in a bike. Those are deep thoughts...

Old May 4th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
donquijote1954

On May 4, 4:12 pm, donquijote1954 wrote:
--An excess of sardines can give you gout
Which is very painful.--

"The shark overhunts sardines till they disappear. Then he dies too."

Sorry to have made a short story with a sad ending. Do you know one of
the classics of the short story???

It's Augusto Monterroso's famous story, 'The Dinosaur'...

"When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there."

What analysis or application can you make out of it? Say a nightmare
where a dinosaur gets elected for 4 years and then re-elected, so he
never goes away? How about the SUVs? I see them in my nightmares where
they chase me in my bike. Are they trying to crush me, or just
overtake me? Or simply they live in the own big world and couldn't
care less about such an insect in a bike. Those are deep thoughts...

Was that repetition or what? I guess that's a recurrent dream. (Or
simply didn't show successful post.)

Old May 4th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
di

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
t...
In article .com,
wrote:

Those of us on the rec.bicycles.* groups are very familiar with
impressive-sounding numbers that have no validity. The most famous
(in our sphere) is an almost universal claim that a certain style of
hat will reduce certain injuries by "85%".

Is it a baseball cap? One of those Panama jobbies? Perhaps a fedora? :-)
--
There's no such thing as a free lunch, but certain accounting practices
can

I have a Panama Hat, I've never had a head injury while wearing it, so they
must work.

Old May 5th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Fri, 04 May 2007 14:08:42 -0500,
(Matthew T. Russotto) wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

Those of us on the rec.bicycles.* groups are very familiar with
impressive-sounding numbers that have no validity. The most famous
(in our sphere) is an almost universal claim that a certain style of
hat will reduce certain injuries by "85%".

Is it a baseball cap? One of those Panama jobbies? Perhaps a fedora? :-)

Tin foil.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Should Cyclists Pack Guns? donquijote1954 General 465 May 7th 07 03:25 PM
Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete Rodney Kuehl Recumbent Biking 40 February 24th 07 02:20 AM
Back pack for cyclists scouselad General 18 June 28th 05 01:39 PM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 9 October 7th 04 01:21 AM
" 400mph cyclists kill opponents with handlebar-mounted guns " Gawnsoft UK 4 March 11th 04 12:56 AM