Cyclist at war!

Old October 19th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Cyclist at war!

S'mee wrote:
On Oct 18, 9:30 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Elitest scum.

Context man!

Take that mass what ever the hell you call yourselves and go eat a
spoke sideways.

I have never participated in a Critical Mass ride and have no plans to.
Judging all bicyclists by Critical Mass is like judging all
motorcyclists by the handful of anti-social criminal gang members.

--

There needs to be a space after the two dashes, i.e. "-- ".

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old October 19th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

S'mee wrote:
On Oct 18, 9:22 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
S'mee wrote:
On Oct 16, 1:58 pm, KingOfTheApes
SNIP
Maybe motorcyclists do it for looks when they refuse to wear a helmet.
No it looks stupid to not wear a helmet. Regardless of whether you
ride a bicycle or a motorcycle. If you choose not to...let the
consequences be on your head. Me I'm wearing a helmet.[...]

There are NO properly done studies that show that BICYCLE helmets have
any significant effect in reducing serious head injuries or deaths.

The much heavier motorcycle helmet should not be compared to the foam
bicycle hat.

Something is better than nothing.

There is no evidence to prove that contention. Whole population studies
show no benefit to wearing bicycle foam hats. The minimal energy
absorption is likely offset by the greater rotation acceleration cause
by the effective increase in head diameter.

Not only that but nobody that I'm
aware of has the guts to do it right in the bicycling world. Too hung
up on having the wind in their hair...fading though it is.

Wearing a motorcycle helmet on a hot day while cycling will result in
heat exhaustion, possible heat stroke and/or death. Try climbing a 15%
grade for several miles under your own power on a hot, humid day.

Oh and if I ever see another bunch riding abreast...I'm punting them.
It's illegal to do that and frankly as a bicyclist and a motorcyclist
I'm sick and tired of you road hogs...be warned, be aware. Your lot is
has had it's fun but your time is through, no begone foul vermin.

Your posts are not as anonymous as you think. I am sure a prosecutor
could make a great impression on a jury with this post at your trial for
vehicular homicide.

Old October 19th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

Then why do I keep meeting smarter people riding bicycles than
riding motorcycles?

Because we bicyclists have to read the minds of the motor vehicle
operators around us. We often have to do their thinking for them.
We know what they're gonna do before they know what they're gonna
do. Because what they're gonna do is gonna be the most detrimental
thing to us if we aren't heads-up about their brainless movements.

And besides, bicycles are often a more intelligent choice of
vehicle.

I think these two postings are examples of what causes trouble on many
roads. It is an elitist attitude of bicyclists who let car drivers
know how much smarter they are and how much more environmentally their
bicycle (recreation) is than driving a car. As I have often mentioned
here, I ride on many narrow, heavily traveled roads in the Santa Cruz
mountains and rarely have differences with car traffic, except when
with a rider who has the elitist bicyclist mentality.

I typically see less than a dozen cyclists per week while driving, and
typically pass less than 10 per month, so motorists being held up by
cyclists is hardly a common occurrence. Yet, the same anti-cyclist
attitude can be encountered. It has nothing to do with the behavior of
cyclists, and everything to do with people who grew up as privileged
spoiled brats who have to have their way (literally in this case).

"How dare you take your rightful share of the road!"

These are the same people who run red lights, jump their turn at 4-way
stops, pass on the shoulder in congested urban freeway traffic, tailgate
people in the right lane with their "brights" on instead of passing to
the left.

What may not be apparent to many self righteous bicyclists is that
their body language reveals their disdain for motorized traffic,
eliciting rude and often dangerous behavior in response. As for mind
reading, it doesn't take a seer to understand what the bicyclist out
in the traffic lane is trying to say about his motorized fellow human.

Relying on motorists to pass at a close distance is foolish,

^^^^^
ITYM "safe" distance?

Anyway, I'm off to tow a trailerload of laundry a mere
15 city blocks to the laundromat, using my humble trailer
and my humble bike. Maybe do some grocery shopping on
the return leg, using my humble new Axiom Hunter[tm]
pannier-like shopping bag (which is working quite
admirably for my purposes.)

If I'm elitist for not needing a pickup truck to do all that,
so be it. While en route I'm likely to encounter drivers who
don't know how to deal with mid-intersection rotary islands.
That's okay -- I'll do their thinking for 'em, and maybe
offer words of encouragement. Sometimes drivers look like
they're making a left turn around those things when they're
actually making a U-turn around them. Gotta watch out for
that. Reading their minds helps. Reading their minds also
helps when a driver's apparent simple right turn is really
a hasty diagonal line into a driveway on the far side of the
cross street (like westbound off 33rd @ Ontario, into the
Vancouver Racquets Club.) Reading their minds isn't about
booking past them ~before~ they pull their stunts; its about
backing off, staying outa their way, and letting them get
it over with.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old October 19th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

[...]

No, Jobst has previously posted that he is fine with motorists (e.g.
London buses) passing cyclists at close distances. I do not agree with
leaving such a small margin for error.

Old October 19th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Jym Dyer

Default Sherman Tanks (was: Cyclist at war!)

and = Tom Sherman

Dude, real bicycles do NOT want bicycle ghetto lanes.
"BananaApe Boy" does NOT speak for cyclists.

=v= Neither does Tom Sherman.

"Bicycle lane" promoters are either misguided or
anti-cyclist.

=v= That statement represents an ideology, not a consensus.
Many "real" bicyclists quite reasonable hold other opinions.

Judging all bicyclists by Critical Mass is like judging
all motorcyclists by the handful of anti-social criminal
gang members.

=v= Absolute bull****. Tom Sherman's declaration of "criminal
gang member" status is contradicted very directly by a number
of court rulings. In the U.S., in fact, a Federal judge has in
fact ruled that "Participation in the Critical Mass bike ride
constitutes expressive association entitled to First Amendment
protection."
_Jym_

--
"There should be 1,000 of you out there, like in San Francisco."
-- Oakland Mayor (and now Attorney General) Jerry Brown

Old October 19th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

Relying on motorists to pass at a close distance is foolish,

^^^^^
ITYM "safe" distance?

No, Jobst has previously posted that he is fine with motorists (e.g.
London buses) passing cyclists at close distances. I do not agree with
leaving such a small margin for error.

At any rate, Jobst seems to have mistaken me as
one of the riders described in:
http://www.bicyclepaper.com/articles..._problem__dude

I suppose his misguided opinion of me and my riding
is ultimately mildly amusing.

cheers,
Tom

Old October 20th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
KingOfTheApes writes:
On Oct 17, 9:29*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Tim McNamara writes:

Then why do I keep meeting smarter people riding bicycles than riding
motorcycles?

Because we bicyclists have to read the minds of the
motor vehicle operators around us. *We often
have to do their thinking for them. *We know what
they're gonna do before they know what they're
gonna do. *Because what they're gonna do is gonna
be the most detrimental thing to us if we aren't
heads-up about their brainless movements.

And besides, bicycles are often a more intelligent
choice of vehicle.

You contradict your claim to being smart when you refuse to bring here
the bike facilities that work elsewhere.

Streets & roads /are/ bike facilities.

But it ain't so much that you
are stupid, it's simply that you are elitist and are selfish as
such...

And yet I'm not out to plant fear into the minds of people,
while you /are/!

I quote here from someone who have figured out that your kind should
shut up and mind your own business..
"First thing I would do would be to purge snobbish/elitist advocates
from leadership or policy making positions at any publicly funded
bicycling advocacy/educational organization; i.e. the clubby
enthusiast type who believes cycling skill (or advocacy goals) is
defined by being a racer (like himself) or a cyclist (like himself)
who moves consistently at speeds greater than 12mph."
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=1#post7688868

My "kind," eh?

Strike one.

Snobbish/elitist advocate, eh?

Strike two.

Shall we go on to your strike 85?

You're evilly anti-human, and I'm
calling you on it. You hate bicycling
because it gets in your way as a driver,
and it sticks in your throat like a fishbone.
You're not out to promote bicycling; you're
out to restrict it.

"By their fruits shall ye know them."

Your fruits are distasteful and highly,
bitterly spit-out-able.

And you are despicable for it.

It is /you/ who is not only the elitist snob,
but the greedy pig doing everything you can to
force everybody else out of your way as you
muscle into what you perceive as the free-for-all
traffic trough in which you believe non-drivers
don't belong.

I don't hate you. I don't pity you. It's not mine
to harbour either of those sentiments. I just work
around you, you odious obstacle.

Just as you work against people.

Old October 20th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:
[...]
Streets & roads /are/ bike facilities.[...]

HOT DOG, WE HAVE A WEINER!

Old October 20th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
[...]
Streets & roads /are/ bike facilities.[...]

HOT DOG, WE HAVE A WEINER!

Actually, that's "wiener," with the 'i" before the 'e'.
Because a true wiener is a Viennese sausage, and the word
wiener is etymologically, culturally and geographically
associated with "Vienna."

A "wiener" is a Vienner sausage.

I'm not sure what a weiner is, but it sounds like somebody
with a shaved head, who lies in a street gutter, clinging
onto a bottle of cheap, rotgut sherry in a paper bag, while
wearing lederhosen and singing tunes from Pink Floyd's The
Wall, or a Teutonic version of O Canada.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Cyclist v numpty car driver. Cyclist wins. spindrift UK 4 January 16th 08 05:21 PM
Hollywood bus driver attacks cyclist, LAPD handcuffs cyclist Matt O'Toole General 13 September 29th 07 07:50 PM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
Cyclist-pedestrian-cyclist Timo UK 39 December 5th 05 10:58 PM
Cyclist shot in B'ham - By another cyclist! John Mallard UK 8 May 8th 04 11:24 PM