Bicycle Tire-Making: bucket delay

Old November 14th 13, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

Default Bicycle Tire-Making: bucket delay

A few days ago I noticed I was running low on rubber, so I ordered some
more. This time I bought a 5-gallon bucket instead of a 1-gallon,
because the 5-gallon costs the same as 3 x 1-gallons.

After I received it I found that I can't get the d*mn thing open.
-Without cutting it open, that is.

I even cut off the top lip on the bucket to get a better grip with may
hands under the edge of the lid, but I can't budge it. It has a pour
spout in the lid but I haven't tried that, I'd bet it is too thick to
use that.

So I had to order a bucket opener.... And I had to order a few more
seal-able buckets, since if I mangle the lid of the existing one trying
to get it open, then I haven't got anything suitable to keep 5 gallons
of liquid rubber in. :P

The 1-gallons I bought before are difficult to pull off with your hands
but I could do that. The 5-gallon ain't happening.

------

I knew what a bucket lid tool was from places I have worked, but didn't
suppose I'd ever have one of my very own. I'm just happy they only cost
$7 each (I got two).....

Along similar lines I bought a material once that only came in 30-gallon
drums. The drum needed a bung wrench. I drove one of the drums to the
area Grainger because I couldn't figure out which wrench would fit it
(there is a bunch of different plugs/wrenches, and no wrench fits
everything). They had a bunch of $15 plastic, aluminum and steel
wrenches, and ONE $50 non-sparking one,,,,,, and guess what was the only
one that would fit. :|
Old November 14th 13, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/14/2013 10:40 AM, Doug Cimperman wrote:
[...]

We get white plastic watertight 5gal pickle buckets with
snap lids free from a restaurant.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 15th 13, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:40:13 -0600, Doug Cimperman
wrote:

[...]

I had that problem once. I needed about 5 liters of bottom paint to
paint my boat but they only sold the stuff in 20 liter cans.... went
to the hardware shop and bought some 1 gallon paint cans and painted
my boat and sold the remainder for more then I paid for the 20 liter
can :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.