Yikes! Di2

Old January 1st 20, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Yikes! Di2

On 1/1/2020 3:59 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 9:46:36 PM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

Frank, How many people do you suppose there are left in the world
that use downtube shifters?

I see more bikes with downtube shifters at the shop than I do of all 11-speed bikes combined. These bikes are being used, which is why they come in for service.

I don't like using downtube shifters, which stay at about the same height off the ground no matter how tall the bike. (So for my bikes, they're way the hell down there somewhere.) But they are easily the most mechanically elegant shifters around, and the easiest to deal with from a service standpoint.

I prefer index thumbshifters with a friction option to any other shifters I've tried. I wish they were still made.

No insult intended but 11 speeds are new and since ALL of the upper end groups are now 11 speed and it is growing more and more difficult to get 10 speed or less parts you're not going to be seen fewer 11 speed bikes anytime soon.

What kind of shop employs you that has a sizeable clientele of downtube shifters?

Tom, new premium quality bikes have been 12 speed for a
while, not 11:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/wfd19b.jpg

That said, non-snobby shops who service the every day bikes
of your average USAian see a lot of downtube shifters. And a
lot of Deore six or seven speed top shifters (which may be
unkillable).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 3rd 20, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

I guess I don't frequent the right ride groups or shops. One of our riders has gone back to classic bikes and groups and you wouldn't know it from his speed but a 1948 Carlson keeping up with my 2007 LeMond certainly makes me feel slow.
Old January 3rd 20, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 7:37:06 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
I was talking to the man in the bike shop yesterday about how to wire up the Di2. He said to being in everything and let him look at it so I did.

He said that the lever only used a single connector and that was prone to some sort of troubles that I don't think he was knowledgeable about. That all of the new levers had three connectors each.

As an engineer none of that makes sense to me but I'll believe him. This set was only $600 and that's less than the cost of the levers alone on eBay..

Does anyone know what the problems with the levers is and how a couple of switches need "upgraded" software that won't work in these levers?

OK, More important Di2 Information:

The external wiring kit from Shimano contains:

1 the wiring that runs from the stem unit to all of the other required areas. It also contains the bottom bracket connector, the external battery holder and the wire covers. The only thing it is missing is the battery and the wiring for the stem unit to the levers. And the complete external wiring kit can be gotten for less than HALF of the price of those units separately.

ow I have to figure out what to do with all these separate parts I ordered. The external wiring kit description did not say that anything other than the wires were included.
Old January 3rd 20, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 6:38:56 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Tom lay every component on the kitchen table and connect them according to the description (online), press the shifter buttons and the derailleurs should move.

Lou
Old January 4th 20, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 10:22:28 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

I'm a little confused Lou. I was saying that you do not have to buy all of this stuff separately since it is all in the external wiring kit for a fraction of the price of buying these things separately.

They don't seem to show that on any of the ads for that kit. The advertising seems to infer that it is only the wiring. In fact, the only thing missing is the battery and the cables that go from the stem unit to the levers. And these are dependent upon the type and length of handlebars.

I expect everything to work unless there is something screwy with the stem unit.

Yikes Qui si parla Campagnolo Techniques 122 June 21st 07 09:56 PM
Yikes Tom Nakashima Techniques 5 June 19th 07 11:57 PM
Yikes ! New video... thieum Unicycling 31 January 9th 07 03:00 PM
Assos... yikes! Scott Gordo Mountain Biking 2 October 13th 05 09:52 PM
Yikes!! Flying Elvis Mountain Biking 57 November 8th 04 11:35 PM