Cyclist shot in B'ham - By another cyclist!

Old May 3rd 04, 03:45 PM
John Mallard

Default Cyclist shot in B'ham - By another cyclist!

Wow! When I'm cycling in Handsworth I tend to be a little pragmatic with my
reaction to car drivers, but I never thought that other cyclists might be
dangerous.

see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/3679959.stm

--
Cheerful Peddling
John Mallard

Old May 3rd 04, 04:23 PM
Simon Mason

"John Mallard" not_me@all wrote in message
Wow! When I'm cycling in Handsworth I tend to be a little pragmatic with

my
reaction to car drivers, but I never thought that other cyclists might be
dangerous.

What about this John? Saturday night daughter number 2 was at work in
MacDonalds and since our lass won't let her cycle there, she set off at 2245
to go and pick her up. At the same time I was staggering out the sauna in a
semi-drunken state and settled down to watch the footy.

Sort of remembered our lass and Gemma coming come and muttering something
about Gemma coming out of the restaurant at the same time as some armed
robbers were going in. Armed robbers brushing by my little girl? What
nonsense and went back to watching footy. Unfortunately, it was all too
horribly true :-(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/3678635.stm

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old May 3rd 04, 05:24 PM
John Mallard

Simon Mason wrote:
"John Mallard" not_me@all wrote in message
Wow! When I'm cycling in Handsworth I tend to be a little pragmatic
with my reaction to car drivers, but I never thought that other
cyclists might be dangerous.

What about this John? Saturday night daughter number 2 was at work in
MacDonalds and since our lass won't let her cycle there, she set off
at 2245 to go and pick her up. At the same time I was staggering out
the sauna in a semi-drunken state and settled down to watch the footy.

Sort of remembered our lass and Gemma coming come and muttering
something about Gemma coming out of the restaurant at the same time
as some armed robbers were going in. Armed robbers brushing by my
little girl? What nonsense and went back to watching footy.
Unfortunately, it was all too horribly true :-(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/3678635.stm

My God Simon!
That is very frightning. Thank heavens nothing went badly wrong.

Regards

--
Cheerful Peddling
John Mallard

Old May 3rd 04, 05:27 PM
John Mallard

Geraint Jones wrote:
Oddly, the spoken version on Radio 4 had that a "cyclist" was

shot by another "person on a bicycle". Perhaps there is an equally
knee-jerk cyclistist in the Radio Newsroom.

Like most of the stories that people point to here, this one seems
to have no more to do with cycling than that there was a bicycle
present at the event. Well, two. Given the number of violent
deaths every day in Britain, and the number of cycles about the
place, one ought to expect a few violent deaths in the presence of
bicycle every now and then, purely by chance.

Very true.
However I am often concerned by the occasional talk here about what can only
be descibed as retributive road rage reaction by cyclists to dumb driving.
About two years ago there were two road rage (car v car) incidents involving
fire arms in as many weeks here in Brum. It certainly calmed me down a lot.

This particular incident, although not, as far as I can tell, a road rage
incident, got me thinking. I cycle in Handsworth a lot. It is definately
one of those areas of Birmingham where I resist the urge to hand slap cars.

Take me: I just use a bike to get about the place a lot. Something
of the order of a thousand to two thousand miles a year, several times
a day. Little more than that. I am not a cyclist, I am a free man.

Good man. :-)

--
Cheerful Peddling
John Mallard

Old May 3rd 04, 05:38 PM
burt

"John Mallard" not_me@all wrote in message

Regards

--
Cheerful Peddling
John Mallard

slightly OT John, but what are we supposed to be selling?

Old May 3rd 04, 06:44 PM
John Mallard

burt wrote:
"John Mallard" not_me@all wrote in message

Regards

--
Cheerful Peddling
John Mallard

slightly OT John, but what are we supposed to be selling?

Whoops!
Thanks Burt, I hadn't noticed. I was obviously in too much of a rush when I
set up after last change of 'puter.

--
Cheerful Pedalling
John Mallard

Old May 4th 04, 09:09 AM
Graeme

"Simon Mason" wrote in news:8e-
:

Saturday night daughter number 2

What, you have at least two daughters for every night of the week? :-)

Graeme
Old May 5th 04, 08:32 PM
Vivian

"Geraint Jones" .invalid
wrote in message ...

[...]

I reckon these two knew each other. Anyway, aren't guns illegal in this
country? How come this other guy was carrying one?

Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
No Surrender

Old May 8th 04, 11:24 PM
crystal_tears_

Well i've been known to cycle in Handsworth in my time. The only thing to be concerned about are all the bloody potholes :

-

not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Cyclist Jailed For Tire Slashings B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 19th 04 01:14 PM
What Makes You A Cyclist? TheCyclist2002 General 87 March 21st 04 05:42 AM
The Cyclist on ABC TV Only the right lane Australia 11 November 8th 03 04:15 AM