Nevada

Old November 8th 04, 06:38 PM
Karstens Rage

Default Nevada

Just got the Adventure Cycling map from Fallon, NV to Cedar City, UT and
the route goes over US 50 to cross Nevada. There are three places on the
map where it says "No Services X miles" where X is between 60 and 90 miles.

Everyone Ive talked to so far has said that 50 is hot, long and boring
and Im having a hard time convincing myself to bike it? Can anyone say
anything good about 50 or suggest an alternate route?

Old November 9th 04, 02:54 AM
Mike Vermeulen

Just got the Adventure Cycling map from Fallon, NV to Cedar City, UT and
the route goes over US 50 to cross Nevada. There are three places on the
map where it says "No Services X miles" where X is between 60 and 90 miles.

Everyone Ive talked to so far has said that 50 is hot, long and boring
and Im having a hard time convincing myself to bike it? Can anyone say
anything good about 50 or suggest an alternate route?

I really enjoyed my trip along US 50 in 2002. Here is my trip report:
http://www.mvermeulen.com/nevada/ There is a certain beauty to the
wide sweeping views. On average it is ~10-15 degrees than going
further south (via Las Vegas and warmer deserts), so if you do pick an
alternative route, I'd go further north via Oregon and Idaho.

It all depends on what you enjoy and what you are used to. I had
bicycled around perimeter of Australia the year before and so found in
comparison, "The Loneliest Road" not that remote at all...

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

Old November 9th 04, 07:03 PM
GaryG

"Karstens Rage" wrote in message
Just got the Adventure Cycling map from Fallon, NV to Cedar City, UT and
the route goes over US 50 to cross Nevada. There are three places on the
map where it says "No Services X miles" where X is between 60 and 90

miles.

Everyone Ive talked to so far has said that 50 is hot, long and boring
and Im having a hard time convincing myself to bike it? Can anyone say
anything good about 50 or suggest an alternate route?

As the previous poster said, it depends on what you're interested in. I
rode across it with the "OATBRAN" tour (
http://www.bikethewest.com/OATBRAN.html ) back in '97, and really enjoyed
it. It's "basin and range" country, so you usually have 20 miles or so of
flats (the "basins", followed by 1-3000 feet of climbing to get over each of
the north-south mountain ranges. None of the climbs were very steep or
long, but if you're carrying your own gear, that will certainly add to the
challenge.

If you like history, US 50 generally follows the route of the old Pony
Express trail, and you can see a couple of remnants of buildings associated
with the trail along the way. There are also some Indian petroglyph sites,
and a place outside of Eureka (about 3 miles off of 50), where you can dig
for garnets. There's also Great Basin National Park, near the Utah border.

If you're riding east to west, you'll gradually be losing elevation. If
west to east, you'll gradually be gaining elevation.

If you get depressed by a lack of trees, you may want to avoid 50 - there's
only a couple of roadside trees between Carson City and the Utah border. In
that case, you would need to go a LOT farther north (through Idaho and
Washington). Personally, I like that kind of wide open, raw landscape, so
enjoyed it a lot.

I assume you could ride Interstate 80 (50-100 miles to the north), as an
alternative, but that road has lots of high speed traffic. US 50 has very
little shoulder, compared to the interstates, but I found it a lot more
pleasant to ride.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old November 10th 04, 12:34 AM
TSJ

Karstens Rage wrote in message news:X2Pjd.313662$wV.174624@attbi_s54...
Just got the Adventure Cycling map from Fallon, NV to Cedar City, UT and
the route goes over US 50 to cross Nevada. There are three places on the
map where it says "No Services X miles" where X is between 60 and 90 miles.

Everyone Ive talked to so far has said that 50 is hot, long and boring
and Im having a hard time convincing myself to bike it? Can anyone say
anything good about 50 or suggest an alternate route?

I haven't cycled that stretch of road yet but have traveled it many
times by car. I've grown to love rural Nevada (at least that part
that 50 crosses). I agree that it depends on what you want, but
overall I think it's really an american classic. It has a different
feel from anywhere else in the country, the combined effect of very
few people, small widely spaced towns, and interesting terrain. The
basins can be a little dull with the sagebrush expanses, but then you
get to cross another range of pinyon and juniper and experience cooler
temps. You cross maybe 6 ranges between Fallon and the UT border, and
the elevations are mostly in the 6-7 thousand foot range, so it's not
so hot, even in mid-summer. Interesting little towns like Eureka,
Austin and Baker with lots of history, and Great Basin National Park
is a great place that you shouldn't bypass. I've always found the
people quite cool as well.

Perhaps the most desolate stretch is SE of Baker NV, going towards
Cedar City. But still interesting in it's own way.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised and you should ride it. DO
NOT ride Interstate 80, even if you're allowed. It's much, much
worse.

Old November 11th 04, 12:28 AM
TBGibb

In article X2Pjd.313662$wV.174624@attbi_s54, Karstens Rage
writes:

Just got the Adventure Cycling map from Fallon, NV to Cedar City, UT and
the route goes over US 50 to cross Nevada. There are three places on the
map where it says "No Services X miles" where X is between 60 and 90 miles.

Everyone Ive talked to so far has said that 50 is hot, long and boring
and Im having a hard time convincing myself to bike it? Can anyone say
anything good about 50 or suggest an alternate route?

They don't allow you on the interstate last I heard. I've driven it and it is
miles of salt flats and sagebrush punctuated by climbs up onto ridges where
there is a mining town which has some services. Carry plenty of water. There
is enough traffic that you should be able to flag someone down if you need
help.

Something good . . .I enjoyed the scenery, it is desolate but I found it to
have a grand sweep to it.

Tom Gibb