Fat guys bike and bike seat.

Old October 8th 03, 11:48 PM
Walter

Default Fat guys bike and bike seat.

Fat guys bike and bike seat.

Ok, here is what I am deducing from the postings in this group about
my problem.

Most of the people posting are normal size and ride all the time. Most
of the bike seats are made for those people, which is understandable
because there is a larger market for these. They are trying their best
to help, but don't have a real handle on the problem.

Imagine for one moment that you took your seat off of your bike and
rode around sitting on just the post. Now you know where us really
fat guys are coming from. That is what it feels like for us to sit on
a normal bicycle seat.

One good bump and you need to visit your proctologist to assist in
your dismount, if you get my point.

A lot of bicycles are built for speed/weight. To achieve this they
make the bikes lighter. That is why some of the bike seats are no
bigger than my computer mouse. If you weight 350 lbs, cutting 7 or so
ounces off the total weight a seat is nothing. You will never notice
it. But you sure notice the pain you get from using it.

When I was a kid I had a banana seat with spider handle bars. I loved
that bike, and haven't been able to fine anything I've cared for
since. I was a normal size kid, and road it everywhere, all the time.

When 10 speeds came out, I got one and hated it. I hate having my butt
up higher than my head, and slumped over. I ride for the fun. I want
to sit and watch the road and my surroundings and not try and shave
..0001 seconds off my personal speed. It seemed they were built with
wind resistance in mind. I don't care about wind resistance.

I know some of you are thinking that what this fat guy wants is a
recliner that he can peddle. No not really, but you maybe on to
something. Just something that I can sit on and concentrate on the
ride and not how much agony I'm in from the small seat on my XXXL
butt.

I'm looking for a bike and seat that I can ride that will hold someone
between 350 and 400 lbs.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to hear from you.

thanks
Old October 9th 03, 12:01 AM
Sorni

"Walter" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Check out "downhill" saddles -- long, heavy, a bit wider than "regular" ones
(sorta like miniature banana seats) -- affectionately known as
Barcoloungers.

Bill "but(t) it still matters where your sit bones are" S.

Old October 9th 03, 02:16 AM
Roger Zoul

While much of what you wrote is is nonsense, imo, what you likely are
looking for is Revive:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...mode=rangelist

I wrote one of these....very comfortable riding position. However, you will
feel as if you are 70 years old....if you're like me, that is...

Walter wrote:
:: Fat guys bike and bike seat.
::

Old October 9th 03, 03:40 AM
William Meacham

(Walter) wrote in message . com...
Fat guys bike and bike seat.

snip

If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to hear from you.

thanks

Walter,

I'm 6'3 and 280. I have the same problem as you. I have loved riding
all my life, but my size always presented problems and limited my
mileage. Last year I rode 4000 miles on this

http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...Bike=983311398

and this

http://www.longbikes.com/Slipstream.html

These bikes work wonderfully for me and you should at least give them
a test ride. One that would probably be really good for someone
running 350 is this

http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...ike=1015351569

but there are many others.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

Bill Meacham
Mesa, AZ
Old October 9th 03, 04:24 AM
Steve Knight

I am only about 250 now. but when I first got my racing bike it had a narrow
specialized seat a one mile ride was agony. I got a soft seat and used it for
about 2 or three weeks then went back to the hard seat. better but not perfect.
a flatter seat is needed. but it needs to be narrow or your crotch will get
rubbed raw.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 9th 03, 04:34 AM
Badger South

In article ,
Kevan Smith /dev/null wrote:
On 8 Oct 2003 15:48:47 -0700, (Walter) from
http://groups.google.com wrote:

I'm looking for a bike and seat that I can ride that will hold someone
between 350 and 400 lbs.

You would do better dropping about 100 poundsd or more before riding.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace
a circuit basically humps after Scotland

Before you dismiss this as a dis, it's a good idea. I would
advocate a low carb, moderate protein, moderate good fat diet.
I lost 80lbs in about 7 months and b/c of a bad hip injury,
couldn't do much physical exercise but walking with strider
poles, but cutting out all sugar, white carbs, and eating
salmon and green beans, alternated with some kind of beef and
chicken, mostly. After about 5-10 days you lose your urge to
eat carbs.

Then a bike is a good idea. The advantage of strider poles is
that it works arms and legs if you push off. You'll get more
caloric expenditure in an hour of poling then in struggling
with a bike for 20 min a day at that weight.

But it looks like the seat to get was suggested earlier.

Just trying to offer a data point that works for some.

For some, lowcarbing will give you an even faster loss if
you're 350, and I'd say 100lbs in a year is not at all unheard
of if you've never done the low carb route.

Please no flames. I'll only say it once. I'm not a low-carb
zealot. ;-)

-B

--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 9th 03, 05:17 AM
Roger Zoul

Steve Knight wrote:
:: I am only about 250 now. but when I first got my racing bike it had
:: a narrow specialized seat a one mile ride was agony. I got a soft
:: seat and used it for about 2 or three weeks then went back to the
:: hard seat. better but not perfect. a flatter seat is needed. but it
:: needs to be narrow or your crotch will get rubbed raw.
::

I weigh 250 and I ride with one of those body geometry seats on my
specialized road/touring bike. I've been out for 17 mile rides without too
much discomforted. You want to move your butt on the seat....

Old October 9th 03, 05:44 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Steve Knight writes:
a flatter seat is needed. but it needs to be narrow or your crotch will get
rubbed raw.

That's pretty much how i like 'em, too -- little or no cantle,
and a longish, narrow nose to steer no-hands with.

cheers,
Tom