Q. for Muzi

Old March 17th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Q. for Muzi

Andy, I have found an adjust side old Campy bb cup sized 35.5 x 1.
Actually, the second five is smaller and raised just a touch, but it
indicates ".5" . Sure enough, the darn thing is in fact a half
millimeter larger dia. than a 35 x 1. It is right-thread like any
adjust side. Do you have any idea what this thing is from? I've never
heard of such a size. (I don't have the fixed side, so I'm not sure if
it would be right or left-threaded. No spindle either.) Just curious if
you have any idears.
Jim

Old March 17th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Cave ab homine unius libri." - Isaac D'Israeli

On 16 Mar 2006 19:09:20 -0800, "Meccanico di Bici"
wrote:

Andy, I have found an adjust side old Campy bb cup sized 35.5 x 1.
Actually, the second five is smaller and raised just a touch, but it
indicates ".5" . Sure enough, the darn thing is in fact a half
millimeter larger dia. than a 35 x 1. It is right-thread like any
adjust side. Do you have any idea what this thing is from? I've never
heard of such a size. (I don't have the fixed side, so I'm not sure if
it would be right or left-threaded. No spindle either.) Just curious if
you have any idears.

Refer to the Campagnolo catalogues apposite to the generation of the
part. You will find notations in the bottom bracket sections of
catalogues n 18 and n 18 bis that "upon request the set of the cups
and lockring with thread increased by 0,5 mm is supplied".

Your discovery reflects that someone took them up on their offer.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
-------------------------------
Old March 17th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Meccanico di Bici wrote:

Andy, I have found an adjust side old Campy bb cup sized 35.5 x 1.
Actually, the second five is smaller and raised just a touch, but it
indicates ".5" . Sure enough, the darn thing is in fact a half
millimeter larger dia. than a 35 x 1. It is right-thread like any
adjust side. Do you have any idea what this thing is from? I've never
heard of such a size. (I don't have the fixed side, so I'm not sure if
it would be right or left-threaded. No spindle either.) Just curious if
you have any idears.

Sure, there used to be "oversize" cups available for all 4
threads. We don't have any pairs left, a couple singles.

Jobst recently discussed the effect of a loose cup on a BB
thread. I guess the idea was that if you discovered the
problem after a couple of rides, an oversized cup would be
the quick cheap solution. Holdsworthy had them, never saw a
listing at a US parts house. Not in any Campagnolo books
I've seen either.

check out:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/CA746AOS.JPG

we discussed this 29 October 2004

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 17th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

OK, here's another. A gent showed me a Campag BB spindle, marked
70-SS-120, that part easy but it had a 'Z' stamped below the
'SS'....any ideas???
-------------------------------

Old March 17th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter Chisholm wrote:

OK, here's another. A gent showed me a Campag BB spindle, marked
70-SS-120, that part easy but it had a 'Z' stamped below the
'SS'....any ideas???

Quoting from a Campagnolo article from 1982:

"SL", "Z" may be found on some old axles.
They were production codes and have no
significance in identification.

The full article, with everything you ever wanted to know
about GS/Record/NR/SR bottom brackets, is scanned
and available at http://www.minortriad.com/campagbb.html

Tom Ace

Old March 18th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
OK, here's another. A gent showed me a Campag BB spindle, marked
70-SS-120, that part easy but it had a 'Z' stamped below the
'SS'....any ideas???

Campagnolo Record News volume 1 number 2 page 7:

" "SL" and "Z" may be found on some old axles [sic] . They
were production codes and have no significance in
identification"

(sometimes I do read the fine print)