iPhone to the rescue!

Old September 17th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default iPhone to the rescue!

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote with really long line wrapping:
[...]
Guess I should have titled it differently. "High-tech phone to the rescue?" Hype or not, the phone has actually been quite useful, not just for people who are lost, but also email (getting used to the on-screen keyboard) and keeping it with cyclingnews.com. Yes, there are plenty of phones that can do those things, but few with as decent a screen as the iPhone and perhaps you're not yet at that age where your eyes don't work so well on tiny print? If you are, the ability to easily increase or decrease the font size (or the picture or whatever) is very nice.
[...]

My favorite mobile phone feature is the Off button - very effective
"Do Not Disturb".

“Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk.” - gene daniels
Old September 17th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX

So, to recap: you had a problem, you used a tool to solve the problem, and
all everybody can do is write about how crappy the tool is or how naive you
are for buying the tool in the first place. Is that about it? It seems to
me that the tool you used was the right one for the job and everybody on the
scene was happy you utilized it. I don't see what the drawback is.
shrug

Pat in TX

Old September 17th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"PatTX" writes:
So, to recap: you had a problem, you used a tool to solve the problem, and
all everybody can do is write about how crappy the tool is or how naive you
are for buying the tool in the first place. Is that about it? It seems to
me that the tool you used was the right one for the job and everybody on the
scene was happy you utilized it. I don't see what the drawback is.
shrug

I guess having a compatible wheel/pump/valve combination
in the first place might have simplified everything :-)

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old September 17th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Tom Keats" wrote in message ...
| In article ,
| "PatTX" writes:
| So, to recap: you had a problem, you used a tool to solve the problem, and
| all everybody can do is write about how crappy the tool is or how naive you
| are for buying the tool in the first place. Is that about it? It seems to
| me that the tool you used was the right one for the job and everybody on the
| scene was happy you utilized it. I don't see what the drawback is.
| shrug
|
| I guess having a compatible wheel/pump/valve combination
| in the first place might have simplified everything :-)

That's still broken, even with the new iPhone 2.1 firmware update. I've heard that the upcoming Google phone will address that issue.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
Old September 17th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Sep 16, 9:11*pm, "PatTX" wrote:
So, to recap: you had a problem, you used a tool to solve the problem, and
all everybody can do is write about how crappy the tool is or how naive you
are for buying the tool in the first place.

Nah--it's just hilarious reading about how a salesman who sucker
people--is himself a sucker. Heh.
Old September 17th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote (clip) Phone book? What's that??? Hey, they made
great sandwiches, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You must use LOTS of mustard and mayo. Mine came out too dry and chewey.

Old September 17th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 17, 9:27 am, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote (clip) Phone book? What's that??? Hey, they made
great sandwiches, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You must use LOTS of mustard and mayo. Mine came out too dry and chewey.

But the added fiber is /almost/ worth it.
Old September 18th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"landotter" wrote in message
On Sep 16, 9:11 pm, "PatTX" wrote:
So, to recap: you had a problem, you used a tool to solve the problem, and
all everybody can do is write about how crappy the tool is or how naive
you
are for buying the tool in the first place.

Nah--it's just hilarious reading about how a salesman who sucker
people--is himself a sucker. Heh.

Y'know, you're right. I should have stuck with the string between orange
juice cans. Worked just fine when I was a kid.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old September 20th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" writes:
"Tom Keats" wrote in message ...
| In article ,
| "PatTX" writes:
| So, to recap: you had a problem, you used a tool to solve the problem, and
| all everybody can do is write about how crappy the tool is or how naive you
| are for buying the tool in the first place. Is that about it? It seems to
| me that the tool you used was the right one for the job and everybody on the
| scene was happy you utilized it. I don't see what the drawback is.
| shrug
|
| I guess having a compatible wheel/pump/valve combination
| in the first place might have simplified everything :-)
That's still broken, even with the new iPhone 2.1 firmware update.
I've heard that the upcoming Google phone will address that issue.

Wow! We've already got phones with cameras, music players,
Web browsers and GPS.

Finally: a phone with a mini-pump. Must be some sort
of Cyclists' Edition phone ;-)

Come to think of it, a Cyclists' Edition phone, bristling
with features most useful to riders, might be a pretty
good idea. I wonder what those features might include?
I mean, besides the obvious ones like cameras that
automagically home-into the license plate numbers of offending
cars, and built-in/integral cyclocomputer and logging.

The "Family" version might assist cycling parents with
keeping tabs on their cycling children.

I don't begrudge you your use of available technology to
handily get out of your predicament. But y'know what?
Maybe you missed out on some wonderful adventure in
doing so.

Or maybe you bypassed a bunch of aggravation.

But I suppose it's best to /always/ play it safe
and opt for the easy way out.

Especially when one gets older.

cheers,
Tom

Old September 20th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

| I don't begrudge you your use of available technology to
| handily get out of your predicament. But y'know what?
| Maybe you missed out on some wonderful adventure in
| doing so.
|
| Or maybe you bypassed a bunch of aggravation.
|
| But I suppose it's best to /always/ play it safe
| and opt for the easy way out.
|
| Especially when one gets older.
|

| cheers,
| Tom

Are you kidding???!!! When I first started carrying a cell phone, it wasn't for me per se. I'd have to face a walk home of, say, 5 miles or so before I'd even consider calling my wife to pick me up. But it's come in handy very often when others needed help, and while you & I see the fun in the adventure, many others see their day ruined because of some minor (and sometimes major) mishap.

In France, I'm willing to travel way off-route before figuring I've gone the wrong way, and have come across some incredible riding (on roads that became goat paths) that way. A few years ago in France I took a wrong turn and headed the wrong way up a valley. I didn't have a map and wasn't sure where I was going, so I finally stopped after a few miles in a small bar. The woman tending bar, when I told her where I needed to go, kinda freaked because, she said, I'd gone 10 kilometers out of my way, and would never make it. I had a good laugh at that (partly because 10km was no big deal, and partly because I was actually able to understand her; my French linguistic abilities are dreadful!).

But my role out on the road may be a bit different than most. If I have a mission, it's to remove whatever intimidation and fear might keep people from really enjoying cycling. As well as reduce whatever aggravations might befall other cyclists. So if it looks like someone's lost, I stop to help them find their way. Someone has a flat, I'll make sure they have another spare tube to make it home. Whatever. I don't just sell bikes; I sell cycling. It's good business. And it means that I carry tools that I'd never need myself (for example, I've never busted a chain but I always carry a chain tool). It really doesn't have anything to do with getting older.

"Tom Keats" wrote in message ...
| In article ,
| "Mike Jacoubowsky" writes:
| "Tom Keats" wrote in message ...
| | In article ,
| | "PatTX" writes:
| | So, to recap: you had a problem, you used a tool to solve the problem, and
| | all everybody can do is write about how crappy the tool is or how naive you
| | are for buying the tool in the first place. Is that about it? It seems to
| | me that the tool you used was the right one for the job and everybody on the
| | scene was happy you utilized it. I don't see what the drawback is.
| | shrug
| |
| | I guess having a compatible wheel/pump/valve combination
| | in the first place might have simplified everything :-)
| That's still broken, even with the new iPhone 2.1 firmware update.
| I've heard that the upcoming Google phone will address that issue.
|
| Wow! We've already got phones with cameras, music players,
| Web browsers and GPS.
|
| Finally: a phone with a mini-pump. Must be some sort
| of Cyclists' Edition phone ;-)
|
| Come to think of it, a Cyclists' Edition phone, bristling
| with features most useful to riders, might be a pretty
| good idea. I wonder what those features might include?
| I mean, besides the obvious ones like cameras that
| automagically home-into the license plate numbers of offending
| cars, and built-in/integral cyclocomputer and logging.
|
| The "Family" version might assist cycling parents with
| keeping tabs on their cycling children.
|
| I don't begrudge you your use of available technology to
| handily get out of your predicament. But y'know what?
| Maybe you missed out on some wonderful adventure in
| doing so.
|
| Or maybe you bypassed a bunch of aggravation.
|
| But I suppose it's best to /always/ play it safe
| and opt for the easy way out.
|
| Especially when one gets older.
|

| cheers,
| Tom
|
| --
| Nothing is safe from me.
| I'm really at:
| tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

For Sale : Apple 4gb Iphone @ 200usd/8Gb Apple Iphone @ 280usd jon32 Unicycling 0 October 31st 07 10:05 AM
l'Equipe to the rescue? Mike Jacoubowsky Racing 1 January 21st 07 12:30 AM
Cat to the rescue wafflycat UK 11 March 20th 06 07:17 PM
Brommie to the rescue John B UK 4 November 16th 05 12:42 PM
Cycling to the rescue pt2 Simon Mason UK 4 November 12th 04 07:25 PM