Chain ring remains stationary when cranking hard.

Old October 1st 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chain ring remains stationary when cranking hard.

Hi Gang,

First, I love my one-speed barhopper, but realize she's getting
on in years and it may be financially wiser to get a new bicycle.... I
have an 8yo Dyno Deuce (26" wheels) that needs wrenching, or a
dumpster. This bike is in Cocoa Beach Fla. and I'm now back home in
Boston. She's ridden for a couple of weeks a year and in excellent
shape otherwise.

The problem; When I pumped her hard from a dead stop the other
night, it silently slipped and I went nowhere, like a loose chain
slipping off the front sprocket -without the noisy racket. The chain
is tight and the sprockets are both undamaged, and clean. When I crank
her easy on a flat, the bike moves fine, increase the force and she
begins to slip again. The pedal arms crank, but the chain ring remains
still.

I've owned a few Harley's and am capable of moderate repairs on
cycles and cars. Any advice and a detailed flow chart would be
greatly appreciated as I really don't want her to end up in the dump.

A photo of the deuce; http://www.memorylane-classics.com/i...no%20Deuce.JPG
Old October 1st 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Sep 30, 6:10*pm, wrote:
[...]

This should get you started:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/opc.html
Old October 1st 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 30, 7:10*pm, wrote:
[...]

Dear F,

Are you saying that the chain and front and rear sprockets move fine
when you pedal gently, but that all three stop moving when you pedal
harder while you're rolling along?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 1st 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

PM, Thanks for that link

Carl, Yes. You discription of my problem is spot on.

Andrew, Would you have any low-cost ideas for a fix, (I have a small
welder) or is it a waste of time and $?

I appreciate all the help. Thankyou, Steve Falletti
Old October 1st 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

A new OPC crank is cheap. *Even a good one is not all that expensive.
Look at the peg before you buy it (many welds are sketchy!) and ask for
a one-piece forged crank if one can be found.
--
Andrew Muzi

Andrew, Thanks for your reply, I'm feeling better.

I see several OPCs for sale in the link provided by PM above. They
must all be pretty standard and should fit my bike I reckon. Also, and
I could be mistaken but, I don't recall seeing a drive pin on the R
side crank arm nor a drive pin hole in the chain ring. If so, that is
pretty poor engineering and planned obsolescence IMO. Do you recall
seeing this design on any bikes?

Old October 1st 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

Steve F,
Looking at my Raleigh that has an Asthabula crank (forged pin, thankfully),
it looks like there'd be room for one of these:
http://www.boltdepot.com/u-bolts.aspx?wt.srch=1
If you can drill two holes in the sprocket, and if you do away with the
chain guard (its mount will likely interfere with the u-bolt). Looks like a
nice enough bike that it'd be worth hunting a replacement crank though.
Kerry

Old October 1st 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) If I recall the chain ring (sprocket)
is alloy and the crank is
chromed steel thus unweldable? (clip)
Chromed steel is weldable. When you say the chain ring is alloy, what do
you mean? Aluminum alloy? If so, it is not weldable to the steel crank.
If you mean steel alloy, then it should be weldable. Since you see no signs
of a drive pin or drive pin hole, you could provide your own. Drill a hole
in the crank, and press fit or weld in a pin. Drill a matching hole in the
chain ring.