post your homemade handlebars here!

Old December 19th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
eenwieler-sander

Default post your homemade handlebars here!

to munirocks

that rack is not good for any handlebar modification if you ask me
we have one at my lbs where i work but the shape is not really what you
are looking for.

if you do decide to by one show it!

--
eenwieler-sander
Old December 19th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

unisk8r;1152791 wrote:
This has been posted before - me in my 2005 "tuck":

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Your V-frame is by far the
best solution for a road unicycle. The riding position on a unicycle
should not be all that different to a bike position. The only reason it
is so upright is that unicycles have been traditionally used for doing
tricks with instead of riding any significant distance on. Lowering
your position improves power and weight distribution (less on your
butt), and stability (lower centre of gravity).

It makes no sense to make longer and longer things sticking out from
the fork. I hope unicycle manufacturers ditch the single fork design
and make something like a V-frame. It wouldn't be too hard to modify
the existing say, a Nimbus 36" frame, into a V-frame. Just widen the
angle and stick a seat tube on the front fork. Then you'd be able to
use a normal bike stem and bar.

It's a project I'm working on early next year.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old December 19th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

eenwieler-sander;1153127 wrote:
to munirocks

that rack is not good for any handlebar modification if you ask me
we have one at my lbs where i work but the shape is not really what you
are looking for.

if you do decide to by one show it!

I agree, do not buy that rack if you are trying to set up a handle.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name
Old December 19th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mtnjeffe

Unisk8r - would you mind if I sent a picture of your v-frame to Rick
Hunter to see what he says about manufacturing something similar. Also
if you are ok with it, is there anything you would change if you where
creating it again?

--
mtnjeffe
Old December 19th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

mtnjeffe;1153166 wrote:
Unisk8r - would you mind if I sent a picture of your v-frame to Rick
Hunter to see what he says about manufacturing something similar. Also
if you are ok with it, is there anything you would change if you where
creating it again?

Ah, what goes around, comes around! Rick made my very first V-frame in
2004, which "proved the concept" as a standard direct drive uni. It was
delivered unfinished. After building it up and finding it most
roadworthy, I then welded in the jackshaft housing box assembly, and
painted it purple. Hence it became known as "Purple Phaze".

Rick might still have some specs, but as I recall I set the seat & bar
tubes 8" apart as measured at the top of the tire. That spec should now
be 10". The handlebar positions can be adjusted accordingly, but you
want the stem mount far enough in front.

Rim brake mounts should be attached on the rear legs. I tried it on the
front for better looks, but the brake housings then hit your knees. A
disc brake mount is fairly simple, but welding in a disc mount has to be
even more precise than a rim mount.

In addition, that first model had 2 seatstay tubes (1/2" OD) connecting
the seat and bar tubes. Later arrangements are more complex, like the
"web" on Florian Green. You only need 1 horizontal connector tube,
combined with a way to connect the frame downtubes further down the
legs, for better overall stiffness.

--
unisk8r
Old December 19th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

munirocks: you can probably find a junk bike frame for cheaper than that
rack and it would be way better.

Ask at your local bike shops if they have any junk frames, or failing
that dredge the nearest stream that goes through a city, you will find
one sooner or later.

Old road bikes seem to have the perfect sized tubes.

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 19th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nmn

another handlebar:

|Filename: Lenker.jpg |

nmn
Old December 19th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
eenwieler-sander

haha crazy idea to mount it to the brake mount have never thought of
that, but looks alot like the t7 bar .
offcourse you will have some more room to place your hands.
but if you ask me its no close to the normal seat.
i find it easer to ''tuck'' on a longer handlebar and more stable.

to gizmoduck:
that would be ideal for a 36 inch frame.
i alway's liked the v shape frame.
currently alsow working on a prototype but have to find some shaft
collars to make bearing holders out. this seems to me the easyst way to
make some.

--
eenwieler-sander
Old December 19th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kevinalexandersmith

It seems like an expanded v-frame would be an in demand product. Has
anyone mentioned this to UDC.

--
kevinalexandersmith

http://www.youtube.com/user/KevinAlexanderSmith
Old December 20th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

kevinalexandersmith;1153426 wrote:
It seems like an expanded v-frame would be an in demand product. Has
anyone mentioned this to UDC.

I have ages ago but maybe Roger will see this

Now, the same sort of problems with bike sizing might appear- taller
people will need slightly different angles to shorter people.

Either way, I'm waiting to hear back from a frame builder about this.
The other alternative would be to get a Nimbus 36" frame and butcher it
a bit and weld a couple of extra tubes on.

Ken

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

new homemade unicycle iridemymuni Unicycling 42 December 27th 08 01:09 AM
Homemade BC w/plates MuniAddict Unicycling 51 September 29th 06 12:17 AM
new homemade giraffe dale_dale Unicycling 16 June 30th 06 02:01 AM
homemade FS frame unisk8r Unicycling 10 May 20th 04 04:13 AM
homemade airseat sockmonster Unicycling 3 April 25th 04 04:42 AM