4WDs and bikes in roundabouts

Old April 12th 05, 04:50 AM
SteveA

Default 4WDs and bikes in roundabouts

Katharine & Paul Wrote:

When approaching a roundabout I get in the middle of the lane, so
cant b
cut off

A bike goes as fast thru a roundabout about as quick as a car anywa
(a
long as you dont have to stop or slow right down before entering)

Pau

Yep, that's my approach too. I claim my space. But this bozo wasn'
having any of that. She got up beside me before the roundabout (th
vehicle must have been over the centre line to do it) and eased me ove
on the way into the roundabout

Looking back, maybe this was part of why I got more annoyed than usua

Steve

--
SteveA

Old April 12th 05, 05:02 AM
TimC

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 at 03:18 GMT, SteveA (aka Bruce)
I think the message got through. I was describing the incident in the
office and someone here described how a fellow rider of theirs had been
cut off by a bus in a roundabout and had chased the bus and then gone on
to take out the rear indicator with his pump, ripped the rear view
mirror and one windsceen wiper off and had then put in a complaint
about the driver to Transperth. That's one angry cyclist!

Hrm. Probably makes us look a bit too fanatical -- think of all the
passengers who saw it!

My other car is a cdr
Old April 12th 05, 08:22 AM
SteveA

TimC Wrote:
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 at 03:18 GMT, SteveA (aka Bruce
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea
I think the message got through. I was describing the incident i

th
office and someone here described how a fellow rider of theirs ha

bee
cut off by a bus in a roundabout and had chased the bus and the

gone o
to take out the rear indicator with his pump, ripped the rear vie
mirror and one windsceen wiper off and had then put in a complain
about the driver to Transperth. That's one angry cyclist

Hrm. Probably makes us look a bit too fanatical -- think of all th
passengers who saw it

-
TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors
My other car is a cdr

Yeah, not my style either. Once the close call is over, if I catch u
to the driver I am more likely to have a very quiet and serious chat t
them "You know that was a bit dangerous back there when you pushed m
out the side of the roundabout....

Steve

--
SteveA

Old April 12th 05, 08:44 AM
TimC

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 at 07:22 GMT, SteveA (aka Bruce)
TimC Wrote:
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 at 03:18 GMT, SteveA (aka Bruce)
cut off by a bus in a roundabout and had chased the bus and then
gone on to take out the rear indicator with his pump, ripped the
rear view mirror and one windsceen wiper off and had then put in a
complaint about the driver to Transperth. That's one angry
cyclist!

Hrm. Probably makes us look a bit too fanatical -- think of all the
passengers who saw it!

Yeah, not my style either. Once the close call is over, if I catch up
to the driver I am more likely to have a very quiet and serious chat to
them "You know that was a bit dangerous back there when you pushed me
out the side of the roundabout...."

I would probably use the hardest-object-on-my-bike tactic, but then
come to regret it later.

I just hope that I don't do it in front of 30 bus passengers

Last time I thumped on someone's window as a message that there wasn't
enough room in the lane I was in for the both of us, he simply sped
off past the traffic light, came to a screeching halt, got out of his
car, and started pushing me around. I didn't have enough warning to
grab my U-lock off the rack, and I wouldn't have wanted to, judging by
the breatherliser 50m up the road.

I hate being a soft weakling sometimes Shoulda just pulled a mono
and put my front wheel through his head

"Does bacteria culture in coffee cup qualify as pet? Have already
givink it name." -- Pitr Dubovich/User Friendly
Old April 12th 05, 08:57 AM
Parbs

"TimC" asked in message...

Hmmm. How's a vistalight for this purpose? I've been given the
go-ahead to put a bike light on mum's credit card for my upcoming
b'day

OK, but the NiteFlux vision stick is much better (for this purpose anyway)

Parbs

Old April 12th 05, 11:09 AM
hemyd

wrote in message ...

Must be something in the air. Normally I just shrug off rudeness from
motorists but not this evening.

Riding home up Nepean and was at the junction of Bay Road. Lights
changed, took off. Was cycling along the entrance to the car park and a
P plater took umbrage and tooted me.

Normally I let these things go, however it was about 17:45 so figured
I'd have a good chance of catching her in the car park.

Found the car but the driver had already decamped. Was just about to
head off when she came out with her friend who she was obviously picking
up.

Cycled up to car and tapped on her window. She looked at me, realized
who I was and did a passable impression of a startled rabbit caught in
the headlights. I think I gave her a bit of a scare. Told her tooting
cyclists wasn't on and left it at that.

Probably not the right thing to do but man did I leave with a smile on
my face. Her face was a picture.
--
Cheers
Euan

Yes, drivers exist in the blissful anonymity of being enveloped in their
steel and glass box, aloof from the other nuisances that try to take their
space. It comes as a surprise when "one of those" creatures suddenly
confronts them - not their car, but *them*- as the person who is responsible
for the behaviour of the car - the operator of the horn, in your case. Then
they suddenly find themselves naked - open to scrutiny as the person they
are, not protected by their car. Then maybe they are embarrassed. For a
brief period. Then they return to being their aggressive selves.

Henry.

Old April 12th 05, 11:24 AM
hemyd

"Gags" gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au wrote in message

The other morning I had a bit of a rear wheel slide happening at about 45
km/h (pretty scary) as I was going over some of those red ripple strip
thingos in the wet (the ones at the bottom of the hill near the reserve at
Heidelberg that the BR goes on just before Burgundy St). Later on the

same
ride I was Southbound on Wellington St (near the Clifton Hill end) and
riding in the bike lane when a garbage truck (industrial bin type) came

from
one of the side streets on the left and stopped just before the bike
lane......trouble was, he still had his two steel prong bizzos lowered and
so they pretty well went right across the bike lane. I was doing between

30
and 35kph and had fark all time to react. There was no way I was going to
stop and so I swerved right and hoped like hell that nothing was coming up
behind me (there was one guy but thankfully he gave me some room).

Another day last week, I was riding Northbound on Wellington St in the

arvo
and coming up to the lights at Alexandra when a car door in the parking

lane
suddenly flung open and a girl lurched out into the bike lane. It was a

two
door hatch and so the door was pretty wide, and then the chick sorta
stumbled as she came out and ended up right in the middle of the bike

lane.
The traffic was already stopped for the lights and so I had nowhere to go

the right and I did an emergency stop (back wheel came off the ground a

bit)
and at the same time said pretty loudly "fckin idiot". I stopped probably

foot or so before this chick who then (along with her three friends) had

the
nerve to have a go at me. I basically told them in no uncertain terms to
step into the room of mirrors and have a good hard look at themselves and
then kept riding.........morons.

I am seriously considering bypassing this road as it is the same one that

was cleaned up on a couple of years ago and I am getting too many near
misses for comfort.

Ride On,

Gags

One day on the bike track in Murrumbeena Rd on the way to Chaddy, a lady
drags around me, about 20 metres in front, and parks. I thought that was
bad, but then her friend in another car drags around me a couple of seconds
later, only about a metre in front, then stops. Door opens. Second lady
smiles as she says hello to the first lady.

The second lady's toddler son was in the back seat. I stopped at the open
foor of the car, and said very loudly to the toddler "can you ask your mummy
why she's trying to kill me", then left.

Henry.

Old April 12th 05, 11:26 AM
eddiec

TimC Wrote:

I hate being a soft weakling sometimes Shoulda just pulled a mono
and put my front wheel through his head

Ditto! I may have a resting heart-rate of a coma and no subcutaneou
fat whatsoever, but the fitness that goes with that doesn't translat
well when confronted with 185kgs of sweaty, selfish, narrow-minde
bigotry and an overly aggressive attitude fueled by a wailing libido..
Most times when I do the tap or knock I make sure I can escap
quickly... Or at least make sure you stay public and have the mobil
ready and visible and with 000 already punched in.

Eddie(doesn't carry a u-lock and I don't think a water bottle will hav
the same impact)

--
eddiec

Old April 13th 05, 12:13 PM
Katharine & Paul

Sounds like a real idiot driver.

What is it about so many 4wd owners that their approach to driving is 'kill
or be killed'. You know the ones who say 'I own a 4wd so I dont come off
second best'. (bugger it that you have just killed another driver).

I'll get off my soapbox now (only to jump back on it on another day!)

Paul

"SteveA" wrote in message

Katharine & Paul Wrote:

When approaching a roundabout I get in the middle of the lane, so I
cant be
cut off.

A bike goes as fast thru a roundabout about as quick as a car anyway
(as
long as you dont have to stop or slow right down before entering).

Paul

Yep, that's my approach too. I claim my space. But this bozo wasn't
having any of that. She got up beside me before the roundabout (the
vehicle must have been over the centre line to do it) and eased me over
on the way into the roundabout.

Looking back, maybe this was part of why I got more annoyed than usual

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old April 13th 05, 03:45 PM
hippy

John Tserkezis wrote:
I smashed a rear car window with my elbow. Can't tell you how much it
hurt at the time, because I was knocked unconcious (with short term
memory loss), but my elbow bloody hurt for a week afterwards... Not as
much as my head though...

Jazmo been offering you riding tips?

hippy