Coroner says: 4WD licence!!

Old May 17th 05, 07:24 AM
Absent Husband

Default Coroner says: 4WD licence!!

Yes!! Finally someone gets it!!

This comes out of a very sad, tragic event. I don't know how much the
pollies listen to the coroner - but we can only hope!!

Read it all he
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-37995,00.html

Title: "4WD licence recommendation"

Cheers all,
Absent Husband

Old May 17th 05, 08:06 AM
Stuart Lamble

Yes!! Finally someone gets it!!

See also: http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1370439.htm

Old May 17th 05, 08:45 AM
SteveA

On 2005-05-17, Absent Husband wrote
Yes!! Finally someone gets it!

This comes out of a very sad, tragic event. I don't know how much th
pollies listen to the coroner - but we can only hope!

Read it all here
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...4-37995,00.htm

See also: http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200505/s1370439.ht

-
My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me
an

I agree 100%. Specific Licence for 4WDs, vans etc bigger than norma
sedan or station sedan. Ban cars from school grounds except i
specially controlled set down arrangements. And have the traffi
police blitz the parents dropping off kids and driving like idiots

And make the licence test for 4WDs match the use for which 4WDs ar
justified, ie off road driving, load securing skills, backing wit
large trailer skills etc in addition to surburban driving skills.

Steve

--
SteveA

Old May 17th 05, 10:00 AM
Kim Hawtin

SteveA wrote:

I agree 100%. Specific Licence for 4WDs, vans etc bigger than normal
sedan or station sedan. Ban cars from school grounds except in
specially controlled set down arrangements. And have the traffic
police blitz the parents dropping off kids and driving like idiots.

this would have to be ongoing.
would have to have a serious deterant.
would have to have ongoing TV and other advertising.
would cost a lot of money.
i'm all for it.
but whats the likely hood that its going to happen?

And make the licence test for 4WDs match the use for which 4WDs are
justified, ie off road driving, load securing skills, backing with
large trailer skills etc in addition to surburban driving skills.

the problem is, many dirvers don't have suitable 'surburban' driving
skills in the first place.

what makes you think that these drivers are going to be able to learn
more skills suitable to driving a new and differnt vehicle type?

cynically,

kim
Old May 17th 05, 10:05 AM
Peter Signorini

"SteveA" wrote:

I agree 100%. Specific Licence for 4WDs, vans etc bigger than normal
sedan or station sedan. Ban cars from school grounds except in
specially controlled set down arrangements. And have the traffic
police blitz the parents dropping off kids and driving like idiots.

Agree very much with the sentiment here. However, speaking as a staff member
at a school that provides next to zero bike facilities for staff (not at all
unusual in suburban government schools), I do need to park my own car. How
do you determine whether it's a staff or parent car? Security gate with ID
key card?

I'd like to see some real funding put into providing bike facilities
atworkplaces. The recent laws for new buildings are OK but only go so far.
What about existing buildings?

And make the licence test for 4WDs match the use for which 4WDs are
justified, ie off road driving, load securing skills, backing with
large trailer skills etc in addition to surburban driving skills.

Just ditch the big tax concession for all those 'farmers' as a start.

Cheers
Peter

Old May 17th 05, 11:10 AM
Joel Little

On 2005-05-17, Absent Husband wrote:

Yes!! Finally someone gets it!!

This comes out of a very sad, tragic event. I don't know how much the
pollies listen to the coroner - but we can only hope!!

Read it all he
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-37995,00.html

See also: http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1370439.htm

--
My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me,
and

I agree 100%. Specific Licence for 4WDs, vans etc bigger than normal
sedan or station sedan. Ban cars from school grounds except in
specially controlled set down arrangements. And have the traffic
police blitz the parents dropping off kids and driving like idiots.

And make the licence test for 4WDs match the use for which 4WDs are
justified, ie off road driving, load securing skills, backing with
large trailer skills etc in addition to surburban driving skills.

SteveA

I fail to see why 4wds in particular are targetted here. "4WD" is a very
generic term, and can range from small 4WDs smaller than your average
sedan to landcruisers. Many sedans or station wagons are a lot larger
than 4WDs. What about the new wave of "softroaders", which are hybrid
4WD and standard car?

A special licence for 4WDs is a ridiculous concept, especially if judged
on offroad driving abilit. Perhaps something more tangible such as
increasing a new class of licence for cars beyond a certain weight is
more realistic. But this isn't just limited to 4WDs... it can be any
class of car. And many smaller 4WDs wouldn't fall within this category.

I'm not sure exactly what the perceived safety risk with 4WDs is, in
general. For larger 4WDs, visibility at lower heights, such as the
height of a young child, is poor. It's equally poor for many new sedans
which have the boot and rear window mounted high up on the car. In both
cases visibility is poor. Also I'm sure bullbars are a part of this
argument too.

Ultimately it comes down to driver awareness, regardless of the type of
car being driven.

Joel
Old May 17th 05, 11:20 AM
John Tserkezis

Kim Hawtin wrote:

the problem is, many dirvers don't have suitable 'surburban' driving
skills in the first place.
what makes you think that these drivers are going to be able to learn
more skills suitable to driving a new and differnt vehicle type?

They're not. That's the point. My view would be compulsory testing under
off-road conditions only for 4WDs. They've proved well enough they can pass
tests in suburban areas and STILL can't drive, so further suburban testing
isn't going to do squat to make them better drivers.
Besides, I don't think that suburban 4WD testing would make any difference
anyway. They just require different a driving style, different blind spots
and different handling techniques. No different from two different vehicles
anyway. Big whoop.

Manditory testing off-road I think would be an excellent deterent to a
purchase of 4WDs. The real 4WDers (I used to be one of them) would welcome a
bit of a challenge over the dreary daily paved roads, and the suburbanites
would keel over with a heart attack if they had to take their beloved daily
waxed penis extension on gravel let alone off-road dirt.

This is _why_ real 4WDers don't take their wives/girlfriends/partners
whoever off-road with them, because if they ever did, they'd find out why one
_shouldn't_. There is ENDLESS whining and carring on to slow down (from a
slow walking pace) don't bump the car on purpose (never mind they're going
through a 3 foot ditch at the time) and incessant more left, no, more right,
no go straight the whole bloody time.

Sorry, end rant.

cynically,

I was going to join my local Cynics Society, but didn't, because I don't
think it'll make a damn difference...
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org
Old May 17th 05, 12:07 PM
Terry Collins

Absent Husband wrote:
Yes!! Finally someone gets it!!

This comes out of a very sad, tragic event. I don't know how much the
pollies listen to the coroner - but we can only hope!!

Not in NSW. costa, the idiot that screwed the Railways and we hope is
going to do the same to the roads has said "too hard".

Old May 17th 05, 12:12 PM
Terry Collins

Peter Signorini wrote:

How do you determine whether it's a staff or parent car?

Easy, do not allowed parents to drive into school grounds. Make them
drop their child off on the footpath outside. Hopefully this is
something they can do because they do it regularly. Driving into odd
shaped car parks is not something the average parent is competent at.

2nd step is to regularly invite Mr Plod down to enlarged consolidated
revenue because no matter how many times you send home a note, none of
the idiot parents thinks that it applies to them.

Unfortunately there is only one school in the 25+ around here that
invites Mr Plod to bring his ticket book down and guess which school
also has the best behaved classes {:-)

Old May 17th 05, 12:15 PM
Terry Collins

Kim Hawtin wrote:

what makes you think that these drivers are going to be able to learn
more skills suitable to driving a new and differnt vehicle type?

Who cares, but perhaps a compulsory $10,000 driving course might cull a
few. Valid for 5 years, with a refresher every 5 years.

Don't motorcycle riders have to do a compulsory course in NSw now?