Just getting started

Old May 22nd 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Just getting started

I haven't ridden a bike since I was a teenager, any suggestions on a
basic inexpensive Touring Bike to start out with?

Old May 22nd 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

baal wrote:
I haven't ridden a bike since I was a teenager, any suggestions on a
basic inexpensive Touring Bike to start out with?

Visit some bike shops (not Walmart or even sporting goods stores) and look
around. Tell the salesperson(s) what kind of riding you want to do and what
budget you have in mind, and go from there.

The right bike will find you

Old May 22nd 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Touring" type bikes are pretty rare these days, even though they're
the best sort of bike for most riders, as they can change personalities
with a tire and accessory switch.

"Hybrids" have mostly replaced them, which have some of the flexibity
of touring bikes, the same size wheels, but flat handlebars. As they're
very popular, you can find an OK entry level bike for $3-500. Lots of
brands to choose from, I'm not getting into that.

You can get an entry level road bike for $500, which is often a fun
bike to have if you just use it for exercise on sunny days. A bike with
drop handlebars that's capable of accepting fenders, racks, or fatter
tires--a touring bike--will start at around $800.

The shop is the most important thing. Ask around. In my neck of the
woods I've got three horrendous ones, two wonderful shops, and a very
nice REI with great cycling folks. If you've got an REI nearby, they
almost universally good places to buy a bike.

Old May 22nd 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

baal wrote:
I haven't ridden a bike since I was a teenager, any suggestions on a
basic inexpensive Touring Bike to start out with?

Heh,
Huffy. $50.00 to find out if you even like riding anymore. If you don't
give it to a kid. If you do, go out and find a $500 to $5,000 bike you
can live with for a long time.
Now I expect to get blasted for not telling you to start with a $500 Trek.
Bill Baka
Old May 23rd 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Dispite former comments to the contrary, real road touring bikes (not
hybrids) do still exist, but are extremely rare in the lower price
range. Plainly put, the model just doesn't sell well enough for
manufacturer to make any money on lower priced models.

The true road tourer usually prefers better made machines, so that's
wear most true touring bikes lay, in the upper market range.

However, there are still a few relatively inexpensive models around (the
Trek 520 is one example). Ask you friendly neighborhood bikeshop owner,
tell him/her what you're looking for and he/she will lead you in the
right direction.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http "colon-slash-slash" geocities "dot" com "slash" czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old May 24th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

The Jamis Aurora is another nice lower end touring style bike. I went
out with a coworker and we picked that out for him. He had a hybrid,
but he decided he wanted something more in the line of a road bike.

Indeed, I'd forgotten about it till you mentioned it as no shops around
here carry it. Good price and great component choices, arguably a
better deal than the Trek, though both are fantastic. The Jamis is
redder, so therefore faster of course.

Don't be absurd. Everybody knows that yellow bikes are faster.

Pat in TX

Old May 24th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I haven't ridden a bike since I was a teenager, any suggestions on a
basic inexpensive Touring Bike to start out with?

Heh,
Huffy. $50.00 to find out if you even like riding anymore. If you don't
give it to a kid. If you do, go out and find a $500 to $5,000 bike you can
live with for a long time.
Now I expect to get blasted for not telling you to start with a $500 Trek.
Bill Baka

yawn

The Killer Squirrels Have Started An Insurgency - Mike Jacoubowsky Warned Us! [email protected] General 16 February 17th 06 07:00 PM
i just started 2day and im geting 40ft runs (thanks 2 dudewithasock) dorfman Unicycling 7 December 29th 05 04:06 AM
TdF : Well, it's started ... elyob UK 6 July 4th 05 11:09 AM
chaffing, and gettting started! Roadie Unicycling 28 August 18th 04 04:21 PM
I Started a new "Ride to Work" Schedule .o0 0o. General 10 June 20th 04 10:29 PM