Good driver report

Old September 23rd 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jeff[_6_]

Default Good driver report

We often hear of bad drivers, so I thought I'd relate a positive experience.

Last night, it rained heavily, leaving large puddles along my route to
work. About half-way to work, I noted a very large puddle (2 lanes
wide, one block long) up ahead. The road was 3 lanes wide in each
direction, so I moved over to the dry lane (I needed to be in that lane
anyway, within a couple of blocks, so not a bad thing). As I got about
a quarter of the way past the puddle, I heard a car. Now, if that car
passed me at anything close to the speed limit, I would be soaked.
However, the driver held back until I was past the puddle before he
passed me. At the next red light I had a chance to thank him for his
courtesy.

There are decent drivers out there.
Old September 24th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Jeff writes:
We often hear of bad drivers, so I thought I'd relate a positive experience.

Sure, nothing wrong with maintaining a balanced perspective.

Last night, it rained heavily, leaving large puddles along my route to
work. About half-way to work, I noted a very large puddle (2 lanes
wide, one block long) up ahead. The road was 3 lanes wide in each
direction, so I moved over to the dry lane (I needed to be in that lane
anyway, within a couple of blocks, so not a bad thing). As I got about
a quarter of the way past the puddle, I heard a car. Now, if that car
passed me at anything close to the speed limit, I would be soaked.
However, the driver held back until I was past the puddle before he
passed me. At the next red light I had a chance to thank him for his
courtesy.

I wouldn't be surprised if your considerate driver
also rides bike, and was thereby able to assess and
understand your situation with the puddle.

There are decent drivers out there.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the driver was someone
who posts here?

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old September 26th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jeff[_6_]

dgk wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:20:40 -0700, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

In article ,
Jeff writes:
[...]

That was my guess as well.

I'd expect so. Still, considering all the bad drivers out there, I
really do appreciate the considerate ones, regardless of the reason
behind their courtesy.

When I drive, I try to look to do right by the cyclists I see.
Old September 26th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Jeff writes:
dgk wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:20:40 -0700, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

In article ,
Jeff writes:
[...]

I figure being part of traffic is a social endeavour.
It's not the same as a soiree or a business lunch
or a wedding reception, but it has its own unique
set of conventions, customs and protocols. It
nevertheless involves as much interaction with
fellow human beans as any other social venue.
In fact it involves a /lot/ of interaction, 'cuz
when we're part of traffic, we're out there in
the world with ... everybody! (What an overwhelming
thought.) I rather enjoy getting to encounter so many
different people, if usually only fleetingly.

I think the vast majority of folks around the world
are nice people. That's been my experience, anyway.

I really do appreciate your positive post. It's easy
to post about occasional horrible or even tragic
incidents that occur. But for the most part, life is
pretty good, and so are people. It doesn't hurt to be
reminded of that.

l'Chaim,
Tom

Old September 27th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Tom Keats" wrote: (clip) But for the most part, life is
pretty good, and so are people. It doesn't hurt to be
reminded of that.

l'Chaim,
Tom

If you have that attitude, it affects the way you interact with other
people, who unconsciously reflect back the treatment they are receiving. At
the end of the day, you will be further ahead, and less tired.

l'Moische
Leo