home made tire anyone?

Old November 26th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Default home made tire anyone?

OK so I am thinking of making a 32" unicycle. I have a broken 36" rim I
am going to mod but the problem is that nobody makes a 32" tire.

My idea is to use spiderwire fishing line wrapped a crap-load of times
for each bead (1/2 spool per bead). I tie the ends and work in some bow
string wax in them to keep the strings together and make it easier to
manage. I would then sew them into a two ply nylon carcass (threads at
45˚) and soak it all in rubber cement. Once the rubber cement it
soaked in I would take it out taking off the excess cement.

I would then mount the tire on the rim with a 29er tube in it before it
is dry and let it take its shape around the inflated tube.

I would try to get the tread off a 29er tire in a continuous loop and
stretch it over the tire allowing it to bond to the rubber cement in the
casing.

I know that the whole tire will sort of collapse when it has no air
pressure since it is built in and on stretched rubber but I don't think
that this should be a problem if it is inflated. I plan on putting some
Stans sealant tin the tube since it won't have a huge amount of puncture
protection and the tube will probably end up as part of the sidewall.
(would that remove friction giving it a tubeless like feel?)

I will probably try this in 26" first to see it if works but do you
guys see any obvious flaws in my plan? Anything you would do different?
I have never done anything like this before as i have never had the need
(right like I NEED a 32" unicycle) and does anyone have any suggestions
for the donor tire. I would probably want something with small knobbies.
This would be used for commuting and some XC riding.

Rotating the tire with the tube being part of the sidewalls might be a
problem but I will tackle it when it seems necessary.

If it works I might also make a lightweight 36er tire this way.

Peace

ERIC

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 26th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Skiv

saskatchewanian;1138770 wrote:
OK so I am thinking of making a 32" unicycle. I have a broken 36" rim I
am going to mod but the problem is that nobody makes a 32" tire.

OK, so you just earned the "Hardcore" award for today...

saskatchewanian;1138770 wrote:
do you guys see any obvious flaws in my plan? Anything you would do
different?

Right off the top of my head I'm thinking that rubber cement is going
to have almost zero shear resistance to the kind of loads you're
contemplating. "Shoe Goo" is the same stuff for "fixing" worn-out
sneaker soles and it NEVER works, always peels off no matter how you
prepare the surface.

There's a tire retreading factory here in my town, and I've seen their
setup. Heat and pressure are involved. I'm not sure about the
composition of the rubber or what they use to bind the bulk tread strip
to the tire "skin." I can ask, if you want. Maybe there'd be a way to
"blend" a chunk of another tire into a 26 or 29er? Hmmm.

OK, so not to be all negative...somewhere in my technical library I
have an 1899 book on "motocycles" -- cars, eh? -- that showed a
cross-section of a pneumatic tire. I'll see if I can look it up tonight.
I don't know what research you've done but you might mouse around a
little for tire designs in old books. Somebody had to make them before
Dunlop and Goodyear got going.

This time of year, remember to put the winter air in the tire, or
you'll have problems with the tread wearing off in the cold.

You could go with a hard tire like on a Penny-Farthing, I
guess...different rim design (narrower). Those tires usually come in a
strip, hard rubber with an embedded wire running inside. Trim the strip
to *just* shorter than (pi)(diameter) and then use the tails of the wire
to torque it on. Bugger of a rough ride, though.

--
Skiv
Old November 26th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

Skiv;1138804 wrote:
Somebody had to make them before Dunlop and Goodyear got going.

no, nobody made pneumatic tyres before Dunlop got going.

--
kington99

Dave

Old November 26th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Skiv;1138804 wrote:
OK, so you just earned the "Hardcore" award for today...

I didn't break it, the guy who crashed into my parked truck with it
inside did. It is the Nimbus SE rim that I bought from Levi. It out of
round and has a big crack on the third spoke hole from the seam. I plan
to cut the rim a spoke hole and a half from there and re-bend it making
a 32" 32h rim. I will have to wait until Koxx releases their 32h hub to
build it up or I could botch something together with a regular hub for
the mean time.

Skiv;1138804 wrote:
Right off the top of my head I'm thinking that rubber cement is going to
have almost zero shear resistance to the kind of loads you're
contemplating. "Shoe Goo" is the same stuff for "fixing" worn-out
sneaker soles and it NEVER works, always peels off no matter how you
prepare the surface.

Anybody have any other suggestions instead of rubber cement? The nylon
cloth would be providing all the structure, the rubber cement would just
be keeping things together. It would be basically like an uncured rubber
on the exposed sidewall but should bond well to the tube and tread (I
think). The most important part for the glue is to keep the tread on. I
can't really heat cure anything since I have a camping stove and a
toaster oven...

Skiv;1138804 wrote:
There's a tire retreading factory here in my town, and I've seen their
setup. Heat and pressure are involved. I'm not sure about the
composition of the rubber or what they use to bind the bulk tread strip
to the tire "skin." I can ask, if you want. Maybe there'd be a way to
"blend" a chunk of another tire into a 26 or 29er? Hmmm.

I have thought of the combining two tires idea but you would still need
a new bead and it would be hard to connect the two tires in a strong and
smooth feeling way. I think making a whole new casing would be easier to
get a good result.

Skiv;1138804 wrote:
OK, so not to be all negative...somewhere in my technical library I have
an 1899 book on "motocycles" -- cars, eh? -- that showed a cross-section
of a pneumatic tire. I'll see if I can look it up tonight. I don't know
what research you've done but you might mouse around a little for tire
designs in old books. Somebody had to make them before Dunlop and
Goodyear got going.

This time of year, remember to put the winter air in the tire, or
you'll have problems with the tread wearing off in the cold.

You could go with a hard tire like on a Penny-Farthing, I
guess...different rim design (narrower). Those tires usually come in a
strip, hard rubber with an embedded wire running inside. Trim the strip
to *just* shorter than (pi)(diameter) and then use the tails of the wire
to torque it on. Bugger of a rough ride, though.

I have looked around on the internet but basically nobody does this. a
few places hand make sew up tires but this seems simpler to me. The most
helpful site I have found is the 'Schwable Tech Info'
(http://tinyurl.com/6jvhrn) page

I might try to figure out a way to add a puncture protection strip
too.

It will probably be a while before I start this project. I would like
to find a job first and maybe an apartment but I have gotten sort of
used to living in a vehicle.

oh and really not interested in solid tires but thanks for the
suggestion.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 27th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SHAY_CAM

Gorilla glue? good stuff

--
SHAY_CAM

*UNICYCLE FOR _YOURSELF._ *
Old November 27th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Nicf

why ??

--
Nicf
Old November 27th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

I think a 44 would sell a lot better then a 32, but no matter. There are
a lot of vid's about tire construction. You need to come up with serious
$ to get the pressure mold-oven thing together to bake the tire rubber
into the bead and plys.

A tube for a 44 could be easily patched together from a couple 36
tubes. Rims welded up in back yards, spokes cut a different length. It
is all so easy, more or less. Even the tire is easy, all it takes is
money, there is nothing that needs to be learned, uni tires are
extremely low tech. Not a back yard endeavor by any stretch though. If
you had the $ to pay for 10,000 screwy sized uni tires, you could have
them in a month IMHO. Just call Coker tire Co ! They would love to help
I am sure. They have done more for uni riding by making that tire then
the Beadles did for religion or the pope did for music. A new tire size
takes the act of an economic god. My impression is that the fab start up
costs are high, and yet there is no other way. You can't bake a serious
tire for low $, I think, because tire making
machines-molds-ovens-pollution controls etc. are very expensive.

Having written that, I am amazed that there is more then one brand of
36 tire. That gives me some hope that development of larger uni tires
will continue.

--
feel the light
Old November 27th 08, 10:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

feel the light;1139077 wrote:
I think a 44 would sell a lot better then a 32, but no matter. There are
a lot of vid's about tire construction. You need to come up with serious
$ to get the pressure mold-oven thing together to bake the tire rubber
into the bead and plys.

I dont think he is looking to sell this. Just a personal project.

--
Jerrick

'*305$ /$549.99*'
(http://tinyurl.com/6ywusa)[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
Old November 27th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

SHAY_CAM;1138985 wrote:
Gorilla glue? good stuff

Thanks Shay, I will look into it.

Nicf;1138988 wrote:
why ??

Why not? I have a broken 36" rim, It is useless right now and I can
hopefully make something cool out of it instead of throwing it away.
(and building an ultimate would be too easy )

feel the light;1139077 wrote:
^^^

haha, I am a homeless guy living in my vehicle. I am not going to be
spending major coin on this. This is a low tech do it yourself kind of
project. Definitely not going into the business of off sized unicycle
building.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 27th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kfvorwerk

On Nov 26, 10:49*am, saskatchewanian
ist.com wrote:
[...]

I've been lurking here while learning to ride my Torkker. Why not try
a two part rubber such as this?
http://www.mrfiberglass.com/polyuret...ld_rubber.html

Karl

home made bc wheel primus Unicycling 3 January 31st 08 11:04 PM
home-made tires Gary Young Techniques 45 April 4th 07 07:19 AM
Home-made tire boot? [email protected] Techniques 32 February 4th 06 07:41 PM
Home-made BC Spudman Unicycling 8 September 7th 05 01:55 PM
home made uni booger1 Unicycling 0 July 11th 03 04:09 AM