Unicyclist harassed by cops in Salt Lake City!

Old June 19th 04, 06:02 AM
brian.slater

Default Unicyclist harassed by cops in Salt Lake City!

paco wrote:
*Here's some more Unicycling Laws in Utah:*

I emailed the Salt Lake City Council, having checked their ordinances
and not found a references to unicycles:

*I will be visiting Salt Lake City July 13 - 19 and wish to ride my
unicycle there, I've researched the city ordnances and could not find
any references to unicycles. Although the definition of bicycles
(12.04.050 Bicycle) does not seem include unicycles, I read the
bicycle ordnances as to the following:
12.80.010 Licensing For Owners
12.80.070 Riding Rules And Regulations Unlawful Acts
Should I be concerned about the license? Unicycles normally do not
have frame numbers or brakes and so probably would not pass.
Are there any other ordnances that I should be concerned about?*

This is the response I received:

*This is a good question. Salt Lake City doesn't have any specific
ordinances or licensing requirements relating to unicycles. Unicycles
are not included in the City's definition of bicycles. The following
state law would probably apply to those riding unicycles.

41-6-87.3. Bicycles and human powered vehicle . . .*

The only section of the Salt Lake ordinances that might apply to section
2 of 41-6-87.3 refers to specifically to bicycles and prohibits riding
on the sidewalk in the central district.

So, it looks like we shouldn’t have any problems at NAUCC unless we do
something really stupid.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old June 19th 04, 04:54 PM
tomcopeland

BTW, I've never had any problems with the police in Utah. I got kicked
out of Gallivan Plaza once when I was riding through, but I wasn't in
the mood to push the issue.

Paco, I got kicked out of Gallivan Plaza, also. It was during the
Olympics and a few of us (Karl Thompson, Christian Marchant, Michael
Grant, Eric and Steven Davis, and my son, James) were riding around
enjoying the atmosphere. Then Karl and Christian decided to hop the
rocks in the fountain and caught the eye of the security guard.

Other than that, I have ridden sidewalks, streets, parking lots and
parks in the Salt Lake area and have never been harrassed by any law
enforcement.

I got stopped in Fort Carson, Colorado by the military police for riding
at night without a light. I was riding on the side walk and got into
the street to bypass some construction when the MP pulled up to me. He
was nice about it. If I had stayed on the sidewalk, he probably
wouldn't have said anything.

--
tomcopeland
tomcopeland's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/713

Old June 19th 04, 07:34 PM
canadianrugby

That’s gay! The police in Salt Lake City must be very bored or all
incredibly spiteful. If the article is the truth the police officers
seem to be breaking laws trying to enforce laws.

--
canadianrugby - my uni's 2 cool 4 School
canadianrugby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6905

Old June 20th 04, 12:12 AM
doofe

now, wouldnt that count as reckless endangerment? if you drive a car up
onto the sidewalk, there is PEOPLE on a sidewalk, is there not? waht
would happen if he hit one of them? would he be exempt because he has
"The Shield"? or would he be treated as a regular dude?

--
doofe - I put the "F U!" in FUn!

Death Metal + Punk + Hardcore + Funky facial hair + One wheel = Doofe
doofe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4335

Old June 20th 04, 04:09 AM
gerblefranklin

canadianrugby wrote:
*That’s gay!*

Excuse me?!! What the hell does their sexual orientation or sexuality
have to do with their eidcate and behavior?! Not to mention, most likely
their Mormons, so not only are they 99.9% likely to be straight, but
also possible married to multiple women. Where's the gay men in this
scenario?

You're one to judge their morality. That was a pretty immoral, ignorant,
and downright offensive statement, and you should think twice about it
before you go out and use it in judgement of others.

I think that the cops are out to enforce laws that are there for a
reason. It's stupid that one of them pulled onto the sidewalk, but have
we heard the cop's perspective? Who's to pass judgement on purely
circumstantial evidence? That officer's probably an ass, but that
doesn't hold bearing on the entire police department.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
out?

Old June 20th 04, 07:37 AM
tomblackwood

tomcopeland wrote:
* Then Karl and Christian decided to hop the rocks in the fountain
and caught the eye of the security guard. *

There are so many stories that can begin with that simple sentence...

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old June 21st 04, 02:36 AM
bugman

gerblefranklin wrote:
*

Excuse me?!! What the hell does their sexual orientation or sexuality
have to do with their eidcate and behavior?! Not to mention, most
likely their Mormons, so not only are they 99.9% likely to be
straight, but also possible married to multiple women. Where's the gay
men in this scenario?

You're one to judge their morality. That was a pretty immoral,
ignorant, and downright offensive statement, and you should think
twice about it before you go out and use it in judgement of others.

I think that the cops are out to enforce laws that are there for a
reason. It's stupid that one of them pulled onto the sidewalk, but
have we heard the cop's perspective? Who's to pass judgement on purely
circumstantial evidence? That officer's probably an ass, but that
doesn't hold bearing on the entire police department. *

Gerble, I know that peoples own experiences color the way they look at
the world. I also know that you are extremely intelligent. There is no
way that comment was made as a suggestion about their sexual
orientation. If it was meant that way, I would be really surprised. I
think a lot of kids use that expression in a derogatory way w/o
insinuating someone is actually gay.

And to keep it on topic, it will be interesting to see how the PD treats
all the unicyclists that will converge on their city at one time next
month.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

Old June 21st 04, 07:13 AM
gerblefranklin

Note, severley off-topic, please ignore if you don't want to read a rant
against slurs.

bugman wrote:
*

Gerble, I know that peoples own experiences color the way they look
at the world. I also know that you are extremely intelligent. There
is no way that comment was made as a suggestion about their sexual
orientation. If it was meant that way, I would be really surprised.
I think a lot of kids use that expression in a derogatory way w/o
insinuating someone is actually gay.
*

I hear that phrase plenty and know what it means. Kids regularly get
called f'gs at my school and ethier get in fights over it or don't bat
an eyelash.

I also know that not only do people's experiences color the way they
look at the world, but in cases such as Canadian rugby's, so does their
*lack* thereof. He's probably met fewer gay people in his life than I
can say hi to in a day. He can pull off using the ignorance and slurs
such as the one above because he never see's it's effects and is
ignorant to the population it derides. Also, I honestly don't care
whether he was insinuating that the officers were gay. That's
irrelevant. What's relevant is that he deemed the ajective "gay" a
derogatory and insulting word, which offends me. I don't care about the
officers, and I'm not offended by someone insulting them.

I'm sorry for yet another off-topic thread.

P.S. As a little trivia, bugman, please define for me the noun "Numba
One Stunna." And not literally, but the way it's interpreted by kids.
Then, tell me you know what kids mean when they toss around insults.

it's equivalent to calling someone a gay f'g. Get it?

When kids are out to insult something or someone, they make sure that
ethier the point is crystal clear or as hard to decipher as an enigma
code written in latin.

Old June 21st 04, 07:31 PM
johnfoss

Well, off topic but I promise to use less vertical space...

Notice the guy using the non-PC comment did not imply anyone was gay.
"That's gay" does not mean the same thing as "He's gay." Is it in bad
taste? Yes. Was your original response to that a little over the top?
Yes.

Anyway, for all the riders going to NAUCC, if you ride around downtown,
as I'm sure some of us will, I'm sure we will be fine if we behave
ourselves. If you ride in any fountains, expect to be rousted!

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"That sucks." -- Ryan Atkins, at the bottom of a 10' cliff he just
jumped off at the 2003 California MUni Weekend, looking at his bent
seat.

Old June 21st 04, 07:48 PM
gerblefranklin

johnfoss wrote:
*Well, off topic but I promise to use less vertical space...

Notice the guy using the non-PC comment did not imply anyone was gay.
"That's gay" does not mean the same thing as "He's gay." Is it in bad
taste? Yes. Was your original response to that a little over the top?
Yes.

Anyway, for all the riders going to NAUCC, if you ride around
downtown, as I'm sure some of us will, I'm sure we will be fine if we
behave ourselves. If you ride in any fountains, expect to be rousted!
*

Your right, I was a bit over the top. Sorry.