what is single track?

Old May 18th 04, 03:59 PM
Terry

Default what is single track?

When mtbers talk of single track riding I nod sagely as though I
understand, but I sometimes wonder whether there is one or several
meanings.Is it road we mean or off road tracks, what?
TerryJ
Old May 18th 04, 04:03 PM
Colin Blackburn

On 18 May 2004 07:59:43 -0700, Terry wrote:

When mtbers talk of single track riding I nod sagely as though I
understand, but I sometimes wonder whether there is one or several
meanings.Is it road we mean or off road tracks, what?

Off road tracks that aren't much more than footpath width, ie single
track. In contrast to wider tracks and trails where riders can pass or
cycle alongside each other.

Colin
Old May 18th 04, 06:07 PM
Peter B

"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message
news
On 18 May 2004 07:59:43 -0700, Terry wrote:

When mtbers talk of single track riding I nod sagely as though I
understand, but I sometimes wonder whether there is one or several
meanings.Is it road we mean or off road tracks, what?

Off road tracks that aren't much more than footpath width, ie single
track. In contrast to wider tracks and trails where riders can pass or
cycle alongside each other.

And ideally they will twist and turn with humps and bumps to keep you alert
;-)
The beauty is that you have to react to each twist and turn increasing your
sense of speed.
You may find them as part of an otherwise tame bridleway, through a flattish
forest or, on a higher plane, a man-made trail like The Wall in Afan Argoed.

--
Regards,
Pete

Old May 18th 04, 07:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Terry
') wrote:

When mtbers talk of single track riding I nod sagely as though I
understand, but I sometimes wonder whether there is one or several
meanings.Is it road we mean or off road tracks, what?

The confusion is because there are at least two usages which are quite
different.

Traditionally, at least in Scotland, 'single track' has meant a road,
usually paved or metalled, wide enough for only one dual track vehicle
at a time, and provided with 'passing places' so that they can get past
each other. There's one such within one hundred yards of this house.

But a conventional vehicle, whether it be an iron age chariot or a motor
car, is actually dual track. As it travels it leaves two wheel ruts or
tracks. In order two distinguish between these vehicles and vehicles
which, like bicycles and unicycles, leave only one track, the latter
are technically referred to as single track vehicles.

In America it is common to refer to paths with only one 'rut' as single
track. This may be the same usage as the technical usage or it may have
a quite different history, but in any case this is the usage which has
been adopted by the mountainbike fraternity.

From a mountainbike point of view 'singletrack' is a path substantially
too narrow for a landrover; it may be purpose built, or it may be a
deer track of footpath. If you want to see what it's like to ride, try
here (my favourite local track):
URL:http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/multimedia/7stanes1.wmv/$file/7stanes1.wmv

Total fun.

;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.
Old May 18th 04, 08:20 PM
Simonb

Simon Brooke wrote:

Total fun.

Looks pretty dull to me -- a lot of faffing about on rocks in ridiculously
low gears. ;-+

Old May 19th 04, 07:36 PM
Roger Hughes

Terry wrote:

When mtbers talk of single track riding I nod sagely as though I
understand, but I sometimes wonder whether there is one or several
meanings.Is it road we mean or off road tracks, what?
TerryJ

One of those intrusive American usages that causes confusion because
they use "trail" where we'd use "track" anyway. It's a bit of roughstuff
too narrow to get a car through, innit?

Roger

Old May 20th 04, 03:19 PM
Terry

tuff
too narrow to get a car through, innit?

Thankyou for those excellent responses.
I shall try to think of more of those questions that one dare not ask
now that I have overcome my reticence.
TerryJ
Old May 20th 04, 10:32 PM
MartinM

"Simonb" wrote in message ...
Simon Brooke wrote:

Total fun.

Looks pretty dull to me -- a lot of faffing about on rocks in ridiculously
low gears. ;-+

Only if you go uphill, the trick is to ride uphill on nice FC roads
then come back down on the singletrack and not break any bones; not a
trick I have yet mastered ;-)
Old May 20th 04, 11:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , MartinM
') wrote:

"Simonb" wrote in message
Simon Brooke wrote:

Total fun.

Looks pretty dull to me -- a lot of faffing about on rocks in
ridiculously low gears. ;-+

Only if you go uphill, the trick is to ride uphill on nice FC roads
then come back down on the singletrack and not break any bones; not a
trick I have yet mastered ;-)

Nonononononononono. Good singletrack should include as much uphill as
down. Donwhill tracks are something else again, and in my opinion very
much less fun.

;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately
;; 99% of users are using the 1% of browsers that can...
[seen on /. 08:04:02]

Looking for Boston area single track..... Steve Jasper Mountain Biking 8 July 6th 04 12:24 AM
Single track mind Mikefule Unicycling 10 December 31st 03 12:17 AM
Haldon Forest, single track in Devon Sarah Miller Unicycling 1 July 20th 03 11:28 PM