The way to break out of the pro-car, anti-car debate?

Old May 22nd 04, 12:56 AM
Justin Thyme

Default The way to break out of the pro-car, anti-car debate?

"Charlie" wrote in message
10 days in a city and not a single accident... crikees, that must be a
record yeah? I see massive pile up fatalities every day in Brisbane...

pile ups with fatalities (plural) every day?
lets see - 365 days/year. plural fatalities = at least two, so at least 730
deaths/year in brisbane. in 2002 the official qld toll was 322, so that
means at least 408 people were brought back to life in road accidents in
other areas of the state.

Charlie

Old May 22nd 04, 01:44 AM
Ron the Barbarian

"Justin Thyme" wrote in
:

"Charlie" wrote in message
10 days in a city and not a single accident... crikees, that must be
a record yeah? I see massive pile up fatalities every day in
Brisbane...

pile ups with fatalities (plural) every day?
lets see - 365 days/year. plural fatalities = at least two, so at
least 730 deaths/year in brisbane. in 2002 the official qld toll was
322, so that means at least 408 people were brought back to life in
road accidents in other areas of the state.

Charlie

Ambos are really good in QLD :-)
Old May 22nd 04, 03:23 AM

although it may be easy to fault some/many of the arguements of this
article. I still think the idea has merits..

it should reduce road rage ...ie you can't blame the person in front of you
for not stopping at the stop sign. coz they dont have to ...they didnt
indicate to change lanes ..the f#$%kn bas344rd ..no lanes he/she cant be
blamed

How much time do you spend sitting stationary at traffic lights? ..don't you
wish they would install drive overs or unders. I'd welcome anything to
reduce my braking and waiting time at traffic lights.

anyway sledge away

Old May 22nd 04, 07:08 AM
mrt

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message

"Charlie" wrote in message
10 days in a city and not a single accident... crikees, that must be a
record yeah? I see massive pile up fatalities every day in Brisbane...

pile ups with fatalities (plural) every day?
lets see - 365 days/year. plural fatalities = at least two, so at least

730
deaths/year in brisbane. in 2002 the official qld toll was 322, so that
means at least 408 people were brought back to life in road accidents in
other areas of the state.

Damn you guys must be slow.

What Charlie meant (incase it wasnt obvious due to his sarcasm!) was that 10
days in a city that small is nothing.

I was in Sydney months before I saw an accident.

The article is stupid because it doesn't examine accident rate data...

Old May 22nd 04, 08:26 AM
Plodder

Snipp...
Damn you guys must be slow.

What Charlie meant (incase it wasnt obvious due to his sarcasm!) was that

10
days in a city that small is nothing.

I was in Sydney months before I saw an accident.

The article is stupid because it doesn't examine accident rate data...

True, it doesn't examine accident rate data, and 10 days is hardly what I'd
call a decent sample!
Nevertheless, the article has merit in that it examines the processes which
produce accidents (and safety). Accident rates are merely the output of the
processes and limiting oneself to such a one-dimensional criterion of
stupidity is way more stupid than the article...

Frank

Old May 22nd 04, 10:23 AM
Vossaka

"Ron the Barbarian" Newsguy wrote in message
"Vossaka" wrote in
:

"Ron the Barbarian" Newsguy wrote in message
"DRS" wrote in
:

Why don't we do it in the road?

Ignoring the red light, a couple of taxis and a dozen bicycles are
headed straight for a huge mass of cyclists, cars, pedicabs and
mopeds that are turning left in front of me. Cringing, I anticipate
a collision. Like a flock of migrating birds, however, the mass
changes formation. A space opens up, the taxis and bicycles move
in, and hundreds of commuters continue down the street, unperturbed
and fatality free.

The trouble is, those Chinese immigrate to Australia and try the same
thing.

Maybe that is why there are so many accidents...

Completely missed the point. didn't you? Too many words for you to
read and you didn't get past the first paragraph.

Vossaka

I did, the whole thing is a load of crap.

I have lived in 3 different Asian countries for a few years, so I know
what they are like, AND I have seen bad accidents as well.

As I said the story IS a LOAD of CRAP.

What the Chinese drive like here, is true.

Like I said, you totally missed the point. The article was not about the
Chinese or how well or badly they drive. It was about a radical way to
change the mindset of every one who uses the roads. Read it again. But you
want to turn it into some sort of racist dig about how infereior Asians are
when it comes to controlling a car.

BTW, I have lived in Asian countries, I have ridden motorcycles and bicycles
through the main cities and I felt a lot safer then I do in Melbourne.

Have you lived with them?

Yes, and I like them a lot.

Vossaka

Old May 22nd 04, 10:39 AM
sheik yerbouti

they have much higher death rates in those countries
it wouldn't work
Old May 22nd 04, 10:49 AM
sheik yerbouti

On Sat, 22 May 2004 10:23:50 +0800, "s" wrote:

How much time do you spend sitting stationary at traffic lights? ..don't you
wish they would install drive overs or unders. I'd welcome anything to
reduce my braking and waiting time at traffic lights.

i believe the issue would be - cost

Old May 22nd 04, 10:51 AM
Ron the barbarian

"Vossaka" wrote in message
But you
want to turn it into some sort of racist dig about how infereior Asians

are
when it comes to controlling a car.

Racist dig eh!

You are a fine one to talk, Rex Hunt:

"Why does this ****wit need to eat on a trip from Melb to Adelaide? - 1 hour
at most - drink your fuggin' orange juice, eat the bread role and shut the
**** up you stupid prick!

Vossaka"

Don't like us WHITE Australians...

"I've just had my employer funded flu injection today..

Vossaka"

I know what I'd like to injected you with!!

BTW, I have lived in Asian countries, I have ridden motorcycles and

bicycles
through the main cities and I felt a lot safer then I do in Melbourne.

Have you lived with them?

Yes, and I like them a lot.

Most third world people do.

Vossaka