Drinking before a Century

Old September 10th 04, 11:17 PM
David Reuteler

Roger Zoul wrote:
So, you head out with a hangover, huh?

biking is my usual way to get rid of a hangover, actually. it's a pretty
bad hangover that biking can't get rid of (eg, last year's xmas party
is an example -- the guy groping every last girl has lived it down but
me falling off the top of the fridge and taking down the stove hood on the
way to the floor .. well, they haven't forgotten that -- that hangover
didn't go away until the next day even after my commute).

|| i love questions like this. i have the same problem tonite, as luck
|| would have it.

Don't get too drunk.

i also have to pack, double check that i'm not forgetting something and plan
a route (or not) .. so i can't get too drunk just 'cause i need the time.
--
david reuteler

Old September 10th 04, 11:29 PM
Zoot Katz

10 Sep 2004 22:17:50 GMT,
, David Reuteler
wrote:

Roger Zoul wrote:
So, you head out with a hangover, huh?

biking is my usual way to get rid of a hangover, actually. it's a pretty
bad hangover that biking can't get rid of

If the hangover is too bad to ride, I wouldn't even be able to
mount-up. The extra oxygen clears my head pretty quickly.
Hangovers at altitude are harder to ride off.
You have my sympathies.

Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin B6 and C are recommended as hangover
preventatives.
--
zk
Old September 11th 04, 12:27 AM
DRS

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

[...]

Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin B6 and C are recommended as hangover
preventatives.

One word: Alcodol.

http://au.biorevive.com/alcodol/

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 11th 04, 12:31 AM
Luigi de Guzman

Rivermist wrote:

I am doing a century tomorrow. As luck would have it I have been invited
to a nice party tonight where there will be drinking.

Does drinking alcohol tend to de-hydrate you? If I went home and drank
water during the night would it offset the effects of the alcohol? I
would like to avoid suffering during the ride !

Jacques Anquetil was a rather well-renowned party animal. He was also a
five-time (I think) winner of the Tour de France.

If you don't come back utterly sloshed, and get enough sleep, you'll be
fine. Don't think that downing a pint of water before you collapse
drunkenly on the couch will do--it never does. (and, having rowed on a
hangover, it's not fun). But a couple of drinks will be okay.

But then, I'm not usually a competitive rider.

-Luigi

--
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, Raves

Old September 11th 04, 02:48 AM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:27:56 +1000, , "DRS"
wrote:

Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin B6 and C are recommended as hangover
preventatives.

One word: Alcodol.

http://au.biorevive.com/alcodol/

I look forward to making a field test on the next supplanted or
appropriated pagan holiday festivities I celebrate.
--
zk
Old September 11th 04, 07:18 AM
Eric S. Sande

Does drinking alcohol tend to de-hydrate you?

Yes.

If I went home and drank water during the night would it offset the
effects of the alcohol?

Partially. Drinking alcohol, even dilute products such as beer, isn't
going to help your hydration.

To think you can rehydrate over a short timespan is naiive. You
were probably too wasted to drink enough water to compensate.

I would like to avoid suffering during the ride !

Then save the drinking until after the ride.

I've heard some athletes say that alcohol gives a fast burn calorie
effect on things like running sprints, but I never heard that it had
any benefit on a long ride.

Generally alcohol will dry out your tissues, which is not what
you want on a century.

My advice is to hydrate well and forego the booze until well after
the ride. I'm not against drinking, but I'm saying that it's not
a good choice the night before a century.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old September 11th 04, 11:15 AM
DRS

wrote:

Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin B6 and C are recommended as hangover
preventatives.

One word: Alcodol.

http://au.biorevive.com/alcodol/

I look forward to making a field test on the next supplanted or
appropriated pagan holiday festivities I celebrate.

I think it's now available in the States.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 14th 04, 02:52 AM
Rivermist

Well... I drank 3 beers and stayed up too late. I was worried about how I
would do during the century.

I am happy to report that I averaged 18.9 mph (my second fastest time for a
century), and I felt better after it than after any previous century.

I still don't think it was a good idea to drink and stay up too late, but I
did ok !

Old September 14th 04, 03:49 AM
DaveH

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:52:22 GMT, "Rivermist" wrote:

Well... I drank 3 beers and stayed up too late. I was worried about how I
would do during the century.

I am happy to report that I averaged 18.9 mph (my second fastest time for a
century), and I felt better after it than after any previous century.

I still don't think it was a good idea to drink and stay up too late, but I
did ok !

3 beers constitutes drinking??
Dave
Old September 14th 04, 03:59 AM
Claire Petersky

"DaveH" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:52:22 GMT, "Rivermist" wrote:

Well... I drank 3 beers and stayed up too late. I was worried about how

would do during the century.

I am happy to report that I averaged 18.9 mph (my second fastest time for

century), and I felt better after it than after any previous century.

I still don't think it was a good idea to drink and stay up too late, but

did ok !

3 beers constitutes drinking??

It would for me. Two beers and I'm nearly under the table. I'm a cheap date.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

First Century Ride SlowRider General 0 August 30th 04 06:03 PM
Greenville NC Century Frank Knox Rides 0 August 8th 04 01:21 AM
First century + 75 miles the day before? Bob in CT General 16 July 15th 04 01:20 PM
My first century of the Century M Series UK 2 August 18th 03 08:20 PM