Used Bikes - What to Watch For

Old December 2nd 04, 05:41 AM

Default Used Bikes - What to Watch For

I'm going to be looking for a used road bike soon. My limit is $375
(less if I have to buy special shoes or any other accessories). I am
upgrading after a summer of riding a wal-mart mountain bike (see my
much cracked in half and just recently i've started having major
problems on hills with my "good" gears). I'm not sure if I want to
pick up a thrift-store bike, since I want to do a lot more biking next
year and travel a lot further. I will probably be looking for
classifieds and bike shops that sell used/tradein bikes. If anyone
knows of some shops in Massachusetts/Rhode Island (i'm right on the RI
line) that sell used bikes, please let me know. I was originally
looking on eBay for used bikes, but I would really like to inspect a
used bike myself, rather than take someones word and potentially end up
with a $300+ piece of junk.

Now, what to look for when I am looking at used bikes...
I am 5'9", what frame size (I think thats the measurement) am I looking
for, and how do I measure the frame?

How can I determine a good cassette from one with cogs that will crack
and tear up (like my MTB's did)?

Is there a specific handlebar width I should be looking for, or just
something that feels good?

Pedals - I assume I need special shoes for certain types (clip-ons I
think they are called), how do I get around this when testing bikes (I
don't own any cycling shoes)?

Where can I buy cycling shoes LESS than the $80-$100 ones I see at the
LBS?

Let me know if I missed anything I should be watching for when looking
at a used bike. Sorry for posting a list of questions like this, but
i'm just trying to figure this out. Thanks.

Old December 2nd 04, 05:50 AM
Scott Ehardt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was originally
looking on eBay for used bikes, but I would really like to inspect a
used bike myself, rather than take someones word and potentially end up
with a $300+ piece of junk.

Don't give up on eBay just yet. You can search by proximity to your zip
code. Find something close and go take a look at it. Think of it as an
online classifieds - the person auctioning the item will probably consider a
cash offer during your visit if you like the bike and prefer to avoid the
auction-style purchase.

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

Old December 2nd 04, 07:31 AM
Matt O'Toole

Scott Ehardt wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

I was originally
looking on eBay for used bikes, but I would really like to inspect a
used bike myself, rather than take someones word and potentially end
up with a $300+ piece of junk.

Don't give up on eBay just yet. You can search by proximity to your
zip code. Find something close and go take a look at it. Think of
it as an online classifieds - the person auctioning the item will
probably consider a cash offer during your visit if you like the bike
and prefer to avoid the auction-style purchase.

Ebay is fine, but IME it's a sellers' market due to auction fever, especially at
the low end. Shipping charges make up too big a percentage of low cost items
too. So keep an eye on the local classifieds.

rec.bicycles.marketplace is a great resource -- you might try a WTB ad there.

You ought to be able to find a really nice, 10-15 year old road bike for $200 or
less without STI/Ergo, $3-400 with.

Matt O.

Old December 2nd 04, 02:34 PM
MikeYankee

It's important to find a bike that fits. Is there a local bike club in your
area? You can find out by inquiring at bike shops. Try contacting some
members of the club and see if they know of anything that's for sale locally in
your budget and size range.

You can buy decent cycling shoes by mail order (Performance, Nashbar, etc.) but
without the assurance of good fit that you'd get in a store.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)
Old December 2nd 04, 02:59 PM
Pbwalther

It's important to find a bike that fits. Is there a local bike club in your
area? You can find out by inquiring at bike shops. Try contacting some
members of the club and see if they know of anything that's for sale locally
in
your budget and size range.

Very good advice. Most clubs have several members who have old bikes that are
gathering dust and may be willing to sell them at a very reasonable price.
Old December 2nd 04, 03:29 PM
OughtFour

I'm going to be looking for a used road bike soon. My limit is $375
(less if I have to buy special shoes or any other accessories

Used can be a very good value.

[snip]
If anyone
knows of some shops in Massachusetts/Rhode Island (i'm right on the RI
line) that sell used bikes, please let me know.

This may be a bit beyond your ambit, but there are shops in the Boston area
that sell used bikes. I would think you might find something closer to home,
too, by calling bike shops you find in the phone book and asking.

The Broadway Bicycle School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, sells good-quality
rebuilt used bikes.

http://broadwaybicycleschool.com/

Their stock is roughly split 50-50 between "commuter" bikes (upright
handlebars & squishy seats) and road bikes, which is what I guess you want.

Of course, you have to *go* there, but if you do you'll get LBS-style help
with fit and any other questions. You could call first to see if they have
anything likely in stock. Also, you would have no worries about quality.

This is not the super dooper deal you might hope for if you are lucky enough
to find just the right bike at a yard sale, but it is a good store option.

None of their bikes would require special shoes but you could add that if
you wanted to.

Good luck!

Old December 2nd 04, 03:41 PM
Jeff Starr

On 1 Dec 2004 21:41:13 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Hi, to start with, you don't need special pedals. If the bike comes
with clipless, you can temporarily change them to a basic pedal. That
way, you can shop for a deal on shoes and pedals if needed. I think a
set of regular old style pedals should run you $10-15.. If I was
looking for used and could see the bike, I would want something that
was taken care of. Look for a bike where the drivetrain is reasonably
clean and when you spin them, that the wheels are not badly out of
true.

The trouble with frame sizes is that they aren't consistent, for
example a Trek and a LeMond are measured differently. I'm 5'10" and
ride a 53cm LeMond, but on most bikes 54-56cm would most likely be the
right size. Your main concern will be the length of the top tube. You
can change stem lengths and angles[rise], so you have some adjustment,
but we are talking about 40mm of flexibility 80mm-120mm. Yes there are
longer and shorter stems, but if the bike can't be made to fit using a
stem in the range I mentioned, it isn't a good fit.

There are a lot of good articles, online, about bike fit. I recommend
that you read some of them. If the bike is a quality brand, you can
and maybe should replace the cassette and chain. Then you won't have
to worry about cogs going bad, for quite a while.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old December 2nd 04, 05:26 PM
Dejah Thoris

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to be looking for a used road bike soon. My limit is $375
... I was originally looking on eBay for used bikes ...

at the risk of getting sneered at, i am going to admit that i bought a new
road bike on eBay for $350 delivered (my Poprad was stolen and i needed a
cheap replacement) from "bikesdirectbikes" which is actually Cycle Spectrum.
i was pleasantly surprised, it's decent. Sora components, aluminum frame.
it's the Windsor Dover model (made in Taiwan). i'm not being an ad for this
seller other than to say that i am satisfied with the purchase. there are
other sellers with similar low-end bikes near the same price range.

of course, you get no help with fit and adjustments when you mail order a
bike, so if that is important then you should definitely visit a local bike
shop. but if you aren't intimidated by a little assembly (front brake,
fork, stem, handlebars, pedals--takes an hour or two if you know what you
are doing) then this might be a reasonable purchase. since it's new, you
don't have to worry about the bike having been abused, it's got new tread,
even a warranty (though i don't know how much good that is for a mail order
bike). you won't need special shoes since it has platform pedals with toe
clips and straps (but you can always upgrade the pedals later if you want
to).

Old December 2nd 04, 05:54 PM
David

wrote in message oups.com...

Now, what to look for when I am looking at used bikes...
I am 5'9", what frame size (I think thats the measurement) am I looking
for, and how do I measure the frame?

Height + inseam at least is required. I think a web search will reveal pages that
help you find the correct bike size.

Size of a frame is usually seat-tube length from BB to center or top of top tube (so a
almost vertical measurement). However for fit the most important measurement seems
to be length of the cockpit, or effective top-tobe length. "Effective" here meaning the
length of the TT if it were horizontal.

Depending on your inseam & torso length, I'd expect you to fit bikes in the 53cm to
56cm range. At least for regular road bikes. Some have "compact geometry" and I
don't know how that would work. I"m sure you'll see what sizes work for you.

..

Old December 2nd 04, 06:04 PM
Fritz M

R... wrote:

Now, what to look for when I am looking at used bikes...
I am 5'9", what frame size (I think thats the measurement) am I

looking
for, and how do I measure the frame?

For information about fitting, see:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

If you just want to plug in some numbers instead of reading the hows
and whys, try:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/

How can I determine a good cassette from one with cogs that will
crack and tear up

Shimano road component groups from lowest quality to highest are Sora,
Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, and Dura-Ace. Even Sora will be several steps
above most typical discount store bikes. You may see a mix of Sora and
Tiagra components on the same bike, or components from SRAM (another
company) mixed in. All of these components work just fine.

Is there a specific handlebar width I should be looking for

Most people start about shoulder width. I like something a little wider
personally, but it's not all that critical.

Where can I buy cycling shoes

Beware that you get what you pay for. My last pair of shoes are Nashbar
dirt-cheap specials that I paid something like $20 for. I've had them
for less than two years and put about 4000 miles on them and they're
already falling apart. I also still own a pair I bought on sale for $80
at the LBS in 1987 or so; they're rough around the edges and definitely
look old, but they're still going strong.

That said, shoes can be had inexpensively online at Performance,
Nashbar, and Supergo.

For pedals, you get cleats that you attach to the shoes for whatever
pedal type you get. Most modern shoes will have pre-drilled holes for
most modern pedal cleats.

For a test ride, I've done sneakers on clipless.

Let me know if I missed anything I should be watching for when
looking at a used bike

Figure the cost of a tune-up (adjusting brakes, deraillers, cables,
wheels, headset; possibly replacing a few small parts like brake pads,
cables, or chain) in your purchase price.

You mention longer distance riding. You'll want padded bike shorts,
gloves, and a non-cotton jersey. You won't believe how annoying a
t-shirt flapping in the wind can get after two hours.

You'll also need tube repair/replacement tools and the knowledge to use
them. The side of the road probably isn't the best place to figure out
how to snap that tight wire-bead onto your rim.

You'll want a water bottle cage if the bike isn't already equipped with
one.

I hope you'll find some of this information helpful.
RFM
http://www.masoner.net/bike/

Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...) JJuggle Unicycling 350 February 28th 06 11:43 AM
Radical new bikes! Verdra H. Ciretop Mountain Biking 21 November 22nd 04 11:16 PM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 12:16 PM
£40,000 of Giant bikes stolen -Little Tricycle Pink Pink 10" David L Mountain Biking 0 November 5th 03 10:06 PM
Cheap Bikes vs expensive bikes - what are the real differences? The Real Slim Shady UK 8 August 13th 03 08:30 PM